In the Merry Merry Month of May...

Thursday, May 21st...

I'm moving my fence image to the top for today:


Sighting several species of birds with the likes of Sandpipers, Stilts, Larks, Egrets, Yellowlegs, Mockingbirds, Red winged Blackbirds, Herons, Swallows, Plovers, Phalaropes, Spoonbills, Willets and more [my bird photos are most always saved for my birding blog], along the way some views of the nature's habitat, near the jetty, along the trail, and by the Marine Institute in the merry merry month of May:

From a long distance, a Horned Lark flying away from its Feeding Field - Wildflowers with enlarged section

Marine Institute Flag Pole - Camping Restriction Sign - Fire Wheel Flowers [unusual to see pink blossom]

Paraglider [Motorized Kite Flying] and Fence Line [with enlargement cutout]

pandanus palms, these plants are not closely related to palm trees



No doubt you figured out that one of my favorite areas that is close proximity of our home is Mustang Island. More so, the small fishing village of Port Aransas, Texas. And it is also one of the birding "hot spots" along the coastal bend of the state. Bud and I find ourselves back on the island highway at least once a week, but more times than none, two or three times. Especially during the Spring Migration months of April and May...avoiding the area like the plague during schools' Spring Break. Anyway, last Thursday, I was walking along a birding area, Charlie's Pasture North, which is nearby the large Ship Channel that enters the Port area of Port A heading to Corpus Christi, or out into the Gulf of Mexico. As I was returning from my mile walk along the hiking trail, I spotted a huge cargo ship. Altho I was too far away, I knew I was missing out of the 'action' along the ship's bow waves!! But, the two of us were here in the area for another reason, so I wasn't making haste to get back to the pavilion for loss of seeing this particular ship go by. After this trek, we were going to head to the beach and jetty where a particular bird, I was told, was en masse for the last week or so! And in Summer Breeding colors. I figured by the time we arrived in that spot, another ship would go out or be coming in and I could get photos of the action then.

What is the action I wanted to record with photos? Where there are large ships, there are dolphins. At least in this channel!! And sure 'nough, another ship was leaving the port to head into the Gulf!! I rushed from the sandy beach area where I was getting bird photos, to the jetty with my camera primed and pointed to the ship's bow!! Soon I was not disappointed.........





this information on the oil tanker, Ridgebury John Zipser


IMO: 9416422
MMSI: 538005445
Call Sign: V7DX7
Flag: Marshall Is (MH)
AIS Type: Tanker
Gross Tonnage: 84735
Deadweight: 164772 t
Length × Breadth: 274.2m × 50.04m
Year Built: 2009
Status: Active

Info Received: 2015-05-21 17:25
Area: Mexico Gulf
Latitude / Longitude: 27.6993° / -96.8256°
Status: Underway
Speed/Course: 13.9kn / 131°
Destination COVENAS [CO] - Columbia
ETA 2015-05-27 05:00 UTC
Last Known Port PORT ARANSAS [US] (2015-05-21 16:07:00)
Previous Port PORT ARANSAS [US] (2015-04-10 17:32:00)


Now, a bit of information on the dolphins seen here, playfully guiding the Zipser out to sea...

They are Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins:


Diet includes fish, squid and crustaceans. Bottlenose dolphins exhibit a range of feeding strategies, including cooperative hunting (often herding fish into tight circles), feeding in association with fishing boats, digging in the sand to uncover food and chasing fish onto mud banks.

Adults reach six to 12 feet in length and weigh 400 to 800 pounds. Males are slightly larger than females.

Bottlenose dolphins are found worldwide in tropical and temperate waters, often along coastlines or in bays, harbors or estuaries.

While bottlenose dolphins are not endangered, some populations are depleted. In U.S. waters, they are protected by the U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act. Coastal populations may be especially vulnerable to habitat degradation, including high levels of pollutants from human activities both on and offshore.

Bottlenose dolphins are top ocean predators with few predators of their own. Sharks and killer whales occasionally prey upon dolphins. Humans represent a major threat to bottlenose dolphins who are accidentally caught in fishing gear (gill nets, purse seines and shrimp trawls) or entangled in discarded gear and monofilament line. Dolphins are still hunted in some parts of the world.


Another sultry day, but the cloud cover and the sea breeze kept the body temperature down and I enjoyed the early morning activities I recorded !

41 comments :

  1. awesome shots of those gorgeous dolphins and that ship looks like it is almost on the land. do you think that gull paid the camping fee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love those dolphin pictures and facts. Thanks, and I hope you have a relaxing and rewarding Memorial Day, Anni. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not been t the coast in years. Looks like I need to get out and about more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the dolphin photos!! How wonderful they are!! Thanks so much for sharing these, Anni!! Hope you enjoy a beautiful Memorial Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is just something great about Dolphins. Thanks for showing the nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love dolphins, they are always a treat to see. Wonderful post and photos, Anni. Have a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those dolphins are spectacular. There is something wonderful about seeing them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing dolphin shots!! My camera is never fast enough. You really got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni we have been hearing about all the terrible weather in TX we hope you are all ok.

    What wonderful photos of the dolphins!!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. What spectacular photos of those dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great morning you recorded, Annie. Thank you for those glimpses of TX wildflowers. I love their cheery colors. The big bonus was seeing the dolphins. Are fish churned up by the ship's wake and is that why the dolphins follow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I always add an "e" to your name? Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Barb? No problem...I've been called worse. LOL

      Delete
  12. Fantastic shots of those dolphins Anni - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dolphin shots!
    Hope all is well with you. I've been hearing of the storms and flooding in TX and am hoping you are doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are okay here in Corpus....thanks for your concern Mari.

      Delete
  14. Great shots of the dolphins. How fun to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic shots of the dolphins and other lovely shots!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great photos!!! All the way around! You guys have the BEST times together!!!
    I have not been to Mustang Island or Port Aransas in years. My mother used to go there often.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely set of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a wonderful photographic adventure - for me! Fun to watch dolphins leaping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aren't dolphins just the most WONDERFUL animals! God gave them to us so we would have reason to smile! Love that you can see them in the wake of the cargo ships. Thanks for including the info.

    I saw my first horned lark about a week ago and will be posting it soon. It took me ten minutes to decide that's what it was, looking in three different books! :-) By the way, watched Texas Rising last night, and it was very good. I am disappointed to learn that there will only be three episodes! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much negative reviews...I'm glad to read your positive critique. Hope to be able to watch it online sometime soon.

      Delete
  20. Love the dolphin photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the dolphins are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful bird and dolpin shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I do so love Dolphins and oh my they do get way too close to those boats. Praying for the people of Texas Anni~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic shots of the ship and dolphin together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anni I am always happy to read your comments but especially so today. I've been so anxious over all the horrible weather you are having.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&M...we're okay here in Corpus....far enough away from the terrible weather fronts all around in Texas. Our area was hit hard a couple weeks ago...this week, so far, dry in rainfall, but still quite humid!!

      Delete
  27. THHHHHHANNNNNKKKKK YOU ANNI!!
    I'M SO SORRY FOR ALL THOSE IN THE MIDST OF THE RELENTLESS RAIN.
    HUGS
    CECILIA

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, Anni, those pictures are really great. Love the dolphins, the ship, the birds. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic shots. Love the dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic post, I really like the dolphin photos, great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this post Anni, so many fabulous photos and I particularly loved those dolphin shots today. Beautiful birds and wildflowers and the tanker is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i do see the pink firewheel. interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your features are some of the best, most interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the pictures of the dolphins they are so cute. Thanks for sharing!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice fence scene. I have to say though today I was impressed and delighted with the ship and the dolphins. Also that weird Palm tree was pretty cool. Lovely wildflowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Texas seems to have a beautiful profusion of wildflowers.

    It's amazing how the dolphins leap out of the water near a ship like that.

    ReplyDelete

.