“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Signs of the Times aka-Nostalgia Lane

--- from the 50's. I know this ages me, but when a youngster, during summer vacation and traveling somewhere by car, one of the 'fun' things to keep from boredom was reading the highway signs! And Burma Shave was one of those that kept you awake and from whining "Are we there yet?" Once on a deserted highway, far from the maddening crowd...out of nowhere, a sign along the highway shoulder would appear. It usually had just part of a sentence. 5-10 miles down the road another sign would show up with another section of the sentence in text...on and on it would go, around curves, behind a boulder, in the barrow ditch...somewhere another sign would come to view until the last sign that promoted the product....Burma Shave!! [shaving cream in an aerosol can] For examples I add here:

My job is ...drive another 10 miles or so, then:
Keeping faces clean ...drive another 10 miles or so, then:
And nobody knows ...drive another 10 miles or so, then:
De stubble ...drive another 10 miles or so, then:
I've seen ...drive another 10 miles or so, then:
Burma-Shave

or:

This cream ...traveling the desert highway, down the road a piece:
Makes the ...traveling the desert highway, down the road a piece:
Gardener's daughter ...traveling the desert highway, down the road a piece:
Plant her tu-lips ...traveling the desert highway, down the road a piece:
Where she oughter ...traveling the desert highway, down the road a piece:
Burma-Shave

I remember these dearly as they kept us kids entertained along the long, boring stretches of roads when we wondered if we'd ever get to our destination. Read more of the Burma Shave Signage HERE with links for 4 pages of them


How 'bout popular toys of the 50s?   I'm sure you'd agree that probably the most coveted toy of that generation would be the Barbie Doll.  Altho Barbie was a 'dream' figure [literally speaking and playing dolls], she was to be the first anatomically correct doll ever produced.  And 'cause we girls wanted to live out our fantasies, keeping us again from being bored, we were given a companion for Barbie....his name was Ken.  Clean shaven, perfect.  Funny thing was the Ken doll mold had him in underwear if you decided to change his outfit....and perhaps go swimming with his love interest....the underwear?  Flesh colored...all to cover up for our 1950s innocence standards of that era.  Barbie sold for ...ready?  $3 back then!!



image source







Of course the whole concept of watching a moving picture tube in your living room, as a family, can't be left out of my nostalgic theme today. Or from magazine advertisements. Remember these lines?

Good to the last drop? [Maxwell House Coffee]

How many licks does it take to reach the center? [of a Tootsie Pop]

No Bones About It? [Perma-Lift Girdles] -also, it was a no no to have LIVE women model underwear in the 50s on TV!!!

Here's another sign of the times...smoking....tho, most would agree, we KNEW back then it was harmful, but to go this far, even in the 50s....it was far fetched:
"9 out of 10 Doctors prefer to smoke CAMEL Cigarettes!!!" -a magazine ad in the 50s.

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz...oh what a relief it is [Alka Seltzer Tablets]

Back then, we were encouraged to lay in the sun for hours to be tan!! Remember Coppertone Girl? "Don't Be a Paleface"

...the TV programs of the 50s.

Husband and wife could not be shown in the same bed. Usually, if a bedroom scene was seen, there were twin beds!!

There was I LOVE LUCY. Always a giggle from that program. Lucille Ball was a great 'stand up' comedian in the television genre of comedy...even if they were more or less what we call sit-coms today. I Love Lucy was a true sit-com for the decade. My favorites were several I can still recite...like: Vitameatavegamin or where she was stomping grapes making wine In 1953, a very funny, memorable movie came out "The Long, Long, Trailer" starring husband and wife, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. You can watch the entire movie online for free....HERE

One last thing today...cameras. Have they come a long way or not?!!! Remember those tubes of film? How many times did I forget to take them in to be developed. And the photos of yesteryear are now faded to such a yellow tinge and a bit blurry...I can't help by proclaim: "Those were the Days!" The good ol' days. Of a simple life. I digress. Now we have digital cameras and smart phones that take clear sharp images...there is such a thing as just a click of a button and you can add effects to your images from your camera/phones...or make them black and white from the preferences. Some cameras today now give the operator of the shutter release button to have it set on auto-focus, macro, or if you prefer, to have your zoom manually operated. I must admit, tho, I always find myself shopping online/or at stores in the camera department. Once I spied a hawk nest several hundred yards away from the island highway and my measly zoom lens couldn't get in close enough for much detail, I have been searching for a larger zoom and a new camera. Perhaps, soon, I just may order the 'newest'...my favorite brand, has come out with one 'more advanced' this past April, and our stores don't have them in supply yet...maybe there is no demand, but what I'm reading, they're pretty darned good. ...wishin' and hopin'

13 comments :

  1. Ah, this does bring back memories, particularly the Burma Shave signs... to get to the family farm one had to drive down Burma Road, named for the signs. They were still there into my mid-20's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely remember those signs. Not long ago, I saw some similar. Time does change things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were so fun to see. I was born in 1960 but I still remember seeing quite a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks indeed for the memories, Anni!! And I do remember the Burma Shave signs -- everywhere!! Fun one for the day and just the smiles I needed this PM!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't come along until 1962 but the ads are all familiar to me. When I think back on all the advances in technology in my lifetime it's sort of mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun 'walk' down memory lane!! Love this post, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post!!! I had no idea Barbies went all the way back to the 50's! I certainly never had one!
    I loved the Burma Shave signs and I still use Alka Seltzer and quote the jingle every single time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those signs, too. And we had something called "Ginny" dolls instead of Barbies, for some reason. I loved mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun Memories, Anni! I remember the Coppertone ads, Barbie and ken. But the doctor smoking the camels is just too much. I love I Love Lucy, I watch the reruns every Sat & Sunday morning. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember every single thing you mentioned except Barbie, i never saw her until my niece came along in the late 60's and she had every barbie made... we lived in the country in the 50's and had no money at all, no TV no radio no record player. but a neighbor had a tiny TV that we sometimes watched. i loved those burma signs, Florida was full of them... did you dirve through the mountains back then, every curve and every cliff had a giant sign saying Jesus Saves, on all the dangerous parts. and in Florida there was a Stuckey on every road side and we got to wander and wish but not buy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the "Ipana" toothpaste commercial, but also remember those you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh on this side of the country when traveling I95 toward the beaches there were Pedro signs for
    South of The Border gift shops! I loved Pedro and thought he was a snazzy dresser too.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well now I KNOW I'm older than you! Barbie dolls - Yuk! Suntan lotion was baby oil with iodine mixed into it. Traveling meant it was great fun to hit a "whoopee do," a hump in the road that brought your stomach to your throat. Being blonde determined that you rinsed hair with lemon juice. And my mother's camera looked like an accordion.

    ReplyDelete

.