“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





To Those Who Keep Us Free...

I mentioned in my previous post about walking around the largest cemetery here in town. I ended up walking the distance to reach the war memorial grounds for those who served with honor and dignity to keep our country free...


As you enter the unbroken circle a plaque has been set in stone. Each upright slab of rose granite has names of Corpus Christians who served and sacrificed life for their country, etched for life-long memory, for each of the military branches, including the United States Coast Guard. All grave markers have the fire pit for a small gas lighted eternal flame...

...walking further from the Veteran's Memorial Grounds I found this, and must admit my thought of how poignant this is. It's a 'stand alone' momument, carved with a verse that is heart warming and heart breaking at the same time:



In case you have difficulty viewing the carved stone the words, verbatim, are as follows:

THE BROKEN CHAIN
We little knew that morning
That God was going to call your name.
In life we loved you dearly
In death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you
You did not go alone
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.
You left us peaceful memories
Your love is still our guide.
And though we cannot see you
You are always on our side.
Our family chain is broken,
And nothing seems the same.
But God calls us one by one
The chain will link again.



IN MEMORY OF THOSE OF MY OWN FAMILY WHO HAVE SERVED OUR COUNTRY, and friends alike:

My Great Grandfather NY...Union...Civil War
My Uncle - US Air Corps - Belly Gunner, shot down over the English Channel WWII
My Brother - USMC Peace Time
My Brother - USAF End of Korean War
My Brother - US Army Peace Time
My Husband - US Navy Peace Time
My Son [and now deceased son-in-law] USMC -Gulf War
Frank - US Special Forces  ♥- -KIA- -♥ Viet Nam War [special, dear friend and school mate]

...and in loving, a parting memorial recognition to both my parents...gone but never forgotten.

15 comments :

  1. I love the poem! And this memorial is so beautiful, yet sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely Memorial Day post, poem and images, Anni! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice Memorial Day Tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must always remember to give tribute to our armed forces members. Yesterday I saw a flag flying upside down! When I asked a man standing on the lane he said the very elderly lady just bought the flag and didn't know how it should be hung. I suggested he show her and fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have about the same number of family members who served. Between us we have the beginning of a battalion! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great tribute, your family has certainly done their bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful tribute it is indeed, Anni!! Thank you for sharing, as always! Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Anni!! Thank you!!
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute area.
    My Dad, FIL, uncles and son served.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That poem is beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  11. love to see the flags flying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Annie...that poem will bring tears to the eyes. You have had a lot of loved ones in the service. My husband was in the Marines at the end of the Vietnam War...one of my brothers tried to join during it and his hearing was off. Which he did not know at all...had them recheck it and still the same results.

    I really don't know a lot about my older relatives..

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful tribute. A very touching poem. We who are living should always remember! That's the only way we can continue thanking them.

    ReplyDelete

.