THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin'
-photos of-

BABY & JUVENILE BIRDS
click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............




Picture this in fragments...

ONE: Bud and I had finished dinner around 7 pm, and I was taking the recycle out to the recycle bin. Well, I heard this awful ruckus and pans dropping in the kitchen from outside. Pretty soon, as I neared the back door, I could hear a few swear words. Well, at least my dishwasher of a husband was still standing but none-the-less disgruntled. To say the least. I had no idea what had happened, until I saw him rushing out to the garage and coming back in with tools. All the while he was doing this, the water from the faucet was still running at full speed. Grumbling he said "Why tonight?" By that time I had reached the sink and was going to offer to help in what I could, but I then saw the problem. While Bud was rinsing off the dutch oven in the sink [I cook, he does the dishes]...and the lifter-upper thing on the faucet head [the part that controls the water flow - like this kind -link-] had broken off completely. I wanted to laugh, but knew I shouldn't. But, trust me, I was laughing on the inside. You see, I wanted this replaced a long time ago. Joe the Plumber Bud is not, but we both know our way around replacing these because of all the remodeling we have done throughout our married life. Okay, but still, he couldn't get the water shut off without a control. Knowing him, I wasn't going to suggest shutting off the water at the shut-off valve under the sink in the cupboard either. Bud had returned with his handy-dandy tool that he can't do any project without...a vice grip pliers. Okay, I saw now what he wanted to do. He wanted to reach into the open part of the faucet head and shut the water off from there AFTER he got the dishes rinsed and in the automatic dishwasher. I couldn't take it any longer and blurted out "Shut the water off at the valve". Okay, his response was "I'm gonna want running water in the morning for making coffee...I'll shut it off here. It'll work." "Whatever cranks your gears sweet cheeks" I say. And leave the scene. The water finally was shut off. All the while I heard faint curses.

So next morning, I found out that Lowes opened at 7am, and Home Depot opened at 730 am. We drove to Lowes first, found one faucet to our liking on display, but they were not in stock. Figures. If it weren't for bad luck Bud'd have no luck at all. Or perhaps 'cause he's Irish!! I don't know which. To continue, granted, I mentioned above that we have done our share and more of remodeling kitchens. We do know our way around [a bit] the plumbing...at least sinks. I can't tell you how many times we've replaced faucets. Both in kitchens and bathrooms. But...and that's a big but---we're much older now, and Bud's hands are quite arthritic. And he's stubborn as a goat!! Or mule...which one is more stubborn? The goat or the mule? Crawling 'round under the sink, water residue dripping slowly out of the disconnected water lines, he tried his bad luck again, and his bad luck was still with him. One of the nuts that hold the threaded pipe to the faucet wouldn't budge. I offered to crawl under to see if I can pry it loose. Of course, the 'he man' in him wouldn't think of it. So, I waited. Patiently. More curse words and more straining. Nada. He crawled back out of there to return to get another tool from the tool box out in the garage. Aha!!! Here's my chance. I got under the sink, reached up and twisted. Tho, I must admit, I strained a lot, but it broke loose, and by the time he returned to the kitchen, I had the nut off. LOL We then worked together somewhat; he relinquished his 'he man attitude'. And to end this saga, what should've been a 30-45 minute job of work, it took two and half hours. I finally got that nasty old faucet out of the kitchen and replaced it with another sparkly one. And you probably are asking yourself "Why didn't they have an expert do the work?" Okay, I'm gonna tell you why. This happened on a Saturday night...I did call a plumber and they told me "We are done for the evening, we can come out and do the work for you, but it's after hours, this isn't an emergency, you could wait until we set up a time for Monday to fix it for you, or you can pay double rate." Nah, but thanks anyway. Can you hear the phone being set back down? $150 an hour, plus parts and labor vs. an $90 faucet that we replaced ourselves. What's a backache? That'll go away in due time. And so goes another day in our nearly 45 year relationship.

TWO: Watching the latest episode of NCIS [my favorite program] online, Canary, the program is getting back to being acceptable. The one program before this was a little "iffy" for me, the one with Abby and her past. There isn't another episode of NCIS 'til February 19th, and I read it's gonna be about Director Vance's past. I don't like the stand-in acting director after the death of Leon's wife; I would prefer Director Vance to return. He has balls....more like a director should be in my opinion. Also, reading info on the program, CBS has renewed NCIS for an 11th season. The program will run in 2013-2014. Cool.

THREE: Now, can't wait for GRIMM to return from their hiatus. The last program really left all of us fans hanging. And I found the preview of its return program coming up on March 8th. What's gonna happen to Nick? And Juliet? And the captain? The countdown begins:



FOUR: We got a small amount of precipitation this week; on Wednesday. Need more please.

FIVE: Easter is in MARCH this year? whoa.


Friday Fragments
Friendship Friday This week: relationship [see fragment #1]

40 comments:

  1. I love how you slipped in and broke it loose! What would our men do without us? Good for you both on fixing it yourselves and saving a boatload of money in the process.

    And yes, the rain was good, but it would certainly be nice to get some more. The grass is just starting to awaken and green up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just hope it's more rain that last year...the grass started to green up nicely only to burn up later in the summer. :o(

      Delete
  2. Glad you got the faucet fixed without spending a fortune! ;-)

    I still haven't watched this week's NCIS. I don't like the temporary director either ... sure hope Vance is back soon.

    We've been getting a little rain fairly regularly ... we're now out of the extreme drought condition that we were in for so long. Hope you can get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I hope we get a LOT more rain. Our reservoirs are down to 40% capacity. That's scary.

      Delete
  3. Don't you just HATE water problems! Glad you got it repaired without too much ado (or cursing - LOL). I didn't even notice Easter as early...I just can't deal with it in March, doesn't seem right. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do Sherry...water seems to dislike the two of us triple-fold...piping, faucets and leaks outdoors. Always something. I don't like the idea of Easter in March either.

      Delete
  4. Aaagh! Plumbing issues are the worst. Bob works in a hardware and he says they always say there that plumbing problems are three trip problems! Glad you got it fixed.
    We like NCIS too and I agree about the episode on Abby. It just wasn't right.
    We have tons of precipitation here - got about 10 inches of snow yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10" of snow equals to about 2-4 inches of rain equivalent...I'd like about 4 inches of rain 'bout now. Nah...that one of Abs and her stuffed pet/friend's pet...just wasn't NCIS worthy.

      Delete
  5. We need to replace our kitchen faucet, too. Thankfully, Chris is quite the handyman, so I'm sure he'll do it himself...with some direction from me, of course! I have never seen one episode of NCIS...Chris loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you wouldn't know what's going on, but you could catch up in a hurry if you'd like...all NCIS is online. LOLOLOL

      Delete
  6. Bud sounds a lot like my hubs. Very strong willed (stubborn)
    We had to replace our faucet a month ago also and no plumber here either.
    We are getting dense fog and drizzle, but they are calling for a major storm for Sat and Sun.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I wouldn't want anything major as in 'storms'...here a major storm usually means heavy flooding. Just a week of a fine rain would be a blessing.

      Delete
  7. We had a faucet like that on the sink here when we first moved in. I told hubs it was only a matter of time before it snapped off in my hand. We had to have a plumber replace it, because of course the builder jimmy rigged pipes under the sink. Pretty much any plumbing we've had here has been because it wasn't done correctly to begin with. Such a pain!

    My preference is for Easter to be the first week of April...at least it's not early March this year. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....those 'do it yourselfers' when it comes to plumbing a house always mess things up.

      Delete
  8. Hubby and I don't project well together. I tend to want to do the project and hubby wants me to for money saving. Then when things go bad "we should have hired someone".

    I love NCIS, but we don't have cable this year. Where did Vance go?

    Easter was crazy early a couple years ago. Throws me off when it's not in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, we don't have cable either...I watch it online here on the computer.

      Delete
  9. Anni I have tears rolling down my face. I am truly sorry Bud had such a hard time but oh my goodness your telling of the story is so so funny.

    I like your new faucet and Walter and I don't do plumbers or any outside help if we can help it. Plumbers make more than DR.'S nowadays!

    Wow..Easter is in March. Pretty soon we'll be able to celebrate the Lord's birth and crucifiction on the same day if they keep moving it back!

    I had to get my bird post up early because Walter is home. I am trying very hard to get everything done early today so I can spend some time out doors with him this afternoon and tomorrow.

    I'll keep an eye on my blog and link up tomorrow when you post! Happy weekend to both of you! Poor Bud!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, I'd want to spend time with my man too. Much more important. Right?

      Delete
  10. Let's face it: Our MEN need US!!!!! Yeah!!! The valve under the sink would be too easy!!!! ha ha

    We didn't care for the Abbey NCIS episode either....Kinda weird... BUT--so is Abbey--so I guess it's okay..

    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby's weird, but I like that in her, she plays her part well. [wonder if she's like that in real time?]

      Delete
  11. I hate it when something breaks in the water department! The superhero can fix anything, but it takes forever for him to get around to it and I hate waiting!

    I wish Easter was in April, I just think that's the month it's prettiest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. water troubles...heck, any kind of house maintenance isn't my cup of tea. I'd Rather B Birdin'. LOL

      Delete
  12. I'm laughing over the kitchen faucet deal because that whole story could have taken place in my house. When we have any do it yourself jobs going on Murphy's law ALWAYS applies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, yep, Yep. Murphy's Law indeed.

      Delete
  13. I can't wait for Grimm to come back on. I have to wait a whole other month? :(

    We have not had much precipitation here either. I think the drought will extend to our area of the country.

    I don't mind Easter being in March. One year it was actually the same weekend as my son's birthday so I got to do a theme party :) He was a toddler then. Now he's 19. It doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh a Grimm fan. Don'tcha just love this program?!!!

      Delete
  14. Oh the faucet story - - - "when it rains it pours" or Murphy's Law at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...seems you've had your share this past week too.

      Delete
  15. I can definitely see this scene played out - just about how it would be at my house. Tonight, my hubby made me dinner and was going to open a bottle of champagne we've had about 10 years so we could have Bellini's. Instead of standing at the sink, he yanked the cork out right at the stove - it sprayed all over the place, narrowly missing the computer on the counter. Dinner was a little late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...champagne all over? I hope your tongue is in tip top shape. At least that's what I'd use to clean it all up. ;O)

      Delete
  16. Oh, Anni, I was shaking my head and giggling the whole time. "Whatever cranks your gears sweet cheeks" - that made me lol. Why DO these things always happen on a weekend? Poor Bud! Yes, Easter seems like it belongs in April. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April and Easter just go together for me too.

      Delete
  17. It's really sweet that you didn't laugh or yell "I TOLD YOU SO!" I have been known to do the latter. Also, how do you get your husband to do the dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has to do something to 'pull his weight' around the house. I have him vacuum a lot too. LOL

      Delete
  18. I used to be a big fan of NCIS - I loved Ducky! It started to get boring and now I'm hooked to NCIS: Los Angeles!

    I haven't watched the season on Abby - we're one season behind the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, personally, I like NCIS better than the L A version.

      Delete
  19. Love how you tell a story. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for a broken faucet. lol Love that you can see humor in the situation...and your hubby sounds like mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men,....I think it's a genetic misalignment in their cells somewhere along the line.

      Delete
  20. Glad you were able to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...and it looks so much better than that old tacky one.

      Delete

.