“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Word Fragments

1] VULNERABLE [adjective: Exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally] - this past week, there was another shooting on a school campus. In Houston! And the campus was the college campus where my son teaches!!! I felt so vulnerable until I heard that he was okay and not at that campus. After finding out about the violent act, trying to get in touch with him, I could barely focus on the phone's contact list and click on his name...I was shaking like a leaf in a windstorm.

2] CURIOUS [adjective: Eager to know or learn something] - There have been a couple of plants I've spied while on our walking treks in the past that I photographed, without knowing what they were...I've been curious, and wanting a name to go with these photos. I found them, I think; feel free to correct me if you think I'm in error!

One:
Red Elderberry. I've seen these all over a certain area where we like to 'hit' when out looking for birds to photograph. It blooms a frosty cream colored white in the late Spring and late in Autumn through the Winter months there are red berries. I've noticed a few times that Mockingbirds enjoy snacking on the fruit. Searching and searching, I finally found a similar image online; info has it that they are toxic to humans but some wildlife are immune to their poisons. Tell me, does anyone know for sure if this is truly a red elderberry? What I don't know sometimes tends to make me learn and find out just what it is that I'm looking at when it surrounds me oftentimes.

Two:
American Beautyberry. This particular bush was spotted by me when we were on a Nature Trail on Goose Island about 30 miles or so from home. The beautiful coloration of the berries, magenta, made me stop and photograph this species as I had never seen such a berry this color before. The sun was hitting the bush and really brightened the trail with this luscious looking fruit against the jade green. Searching and searching, I think I finally found its name. After finding out what it is called, I also read that it's a medicinal plant, often invasive [growing wild and hard to control]. And perhaps the section I read that I liked the most, it acts as a mosquito repellent!!

3] SPENT [adjective: Having no power or energy left] There you have it!! Yes, I was literally worn down with the photo project this week. I was more than happy to finally say, after nearly five days of working with the intention of getting all the hundreds of bird photos off the computer and onto a disc...to finally say "I'm done"!! Well, I put a lot of them [around 300-350] on a DVD with framing, music, and titling each one individually. With the music, photos and effects and transitions added, it' just short of 1 hour playing time. Some of you asked if I would share it. It's way over 150MB, and there is no possibilty of uploading the huge files to youtube. Sorry. Before deleting them all from the computer, I did copy the photos without any added extra special effects, so I may be able to condense it somewhat and share a partial work for youtube. But, I'll do so in the future...right now, I'm spent!! Besides, eventually they'll all be shared individually on "I'd Rather B Birdin'" blog as an ongoing slide show.

4] HOUSEWIFERY [noun: The function or duties of a housewife; housekeeping] It's a never ending battle fought through the ages!! Altho, I must admit, I haven't really cleaned up the house since before Christmas. Oh ya, I've vacuumed and swept the kitchen and bathroom tiles...but to actually get down and hand scrub the shower stalls and those unmentionables---the chamber pots---countertops, mantle, end tables and nick-knacks, I confess, it's been way over a month. That's just not like me. I could literally write in the dust on the furniture. And I do believe Tahoe, or maybe it was Winston, used their paws and food to write the words: "Wash Me" beside their feed bowls. Other than sandwiches this week, not much got cooked either. I finally did make a turkey meat loaf and had fixed waldorf salad and baked us up some bacon cheese and made with that twice baked potatoes. Bud couldn't say enough on that meal. LOL One more thing on the subject...I dislike Winter a lot...way too much laundry. The bulk of it all...heavy jeans, sweat pants, sweat shirts, and load of socks--that makes for a lot of loads because of the weight of it all.

5] INVENTIVE [adjective: Having the ability to create or design new things] In all honesty, it's really not an invention of my own making. One of the other birders online that left a link on the Bird D'Pot meme last week had composed a post on her blog on a bird feeder wreath that she hung in her backyard --- it was really a work of art. Well, I couldn't let her have one and not me. [why is it that when I visit some of these crafty ladies, I need to play copy cat? I'm sure glad I don't visit Pinterest]. The project is easy so far [Phew!!], and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project and hopefully attract more backyard birds other than doves and sparrows.

6] DRAFT [verb: to design; execute a plan] Today, I'm experimenting with a three column blog layout. What do you think? Is it showing as a three column in YOUR browser? What resolution do you have set up on your computer? I realize that some don't have a large screen and perhaps the columns are running together for you? Or do you have to scroll horizontally to view some of my blog? What say you...

connecting to:





_ _ _


Friendship Friday
This week our Friendship Hostess asks about BLOGGING GOALS

"What are your current Blogging Goals?
Do you have a plan for achieving them?"


...Well, I can't say that I really have 'goals' per sé. I began blogging on Christmas Day back in 2006!! I didn't have much inkling as to what a blog should pertain to in realm of composition. Today, it's become a fun task. I try and make a 'goal' of blogging something each day in hopes that sometime in the future I can look back on it as a diary of sorts. Then, I got hooked on memes. Again, I had no idea what a meme was until I began visiting other blogs and following them to insure I make a meme contribution correctly. It took me a while, but I finally got the hang of it. My blog is here for me mostly...to gain a bit of design, writing, photographing skills.

My idea of a goal for blogging is to just enjoy the whole concept. Blog for myself, enjoy some humor once in a while, share photos once in a while if not on a daily basis...at least often!! Share thoughts...be they any category, it's all about finding yourself and being in the know. Maybe adding some history now and then, current events, or join in on a political discussion, even if the discussion is by yourself and maybe controversial...opinions are based on a personal blog. Share a craft idea or two once in a while, review a book or a movie, be opinionated on a vast number of subjects and/or ideas...in whole, making a goal to do my own style.

As my fragmented words above this section is about 'words' this week:

BLOG: Noun [A Web site on which an individual or group of users record opinions, information, etc. on a regular basis.]

That's it in a nutshell...compose a bit of chit chat on a regular basis.


connecting to:

52 comments :

  1. Interesting post, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise...enjoy your weekend as best you can, too.

      Delete
  2. Was there actually a shooting in Houston? I don't watch the news...my hubby does and relays the things he thinks are important. He usually tells me about school shootings. Maybe he missed this one. I pray no one was hurt. (I don't watch the news because I get too depressed...I know that's lame, but I used to watch it every night and was consumed by it...now, I just let him tell me the highlights.)

    I agree with you about blogging...it should be fun, it should never be a dreaded task, and you should encourage other bloggers with constructive, friendly comments. Isn't that what life is about anyway? Helping each other get through it all, and maybe making some good friends along the way.

    I love your blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....a shooting in Houston isn't all that uncommon I guess. But when it hits 'close to home'...it's terrifying. Thing is, I too don't watch TV at all, I closed my email account and the breaking news was glaring at me as I shut things down.

      Delete
  3. berries are nature's christmas baubles, i always say, so so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I agree. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing that one with a pink/purple clump of berries. So, so pretty.

      Delete
  4. It is always good to read your fragments and thoughts...glad your son was okay! Just a quick howdy before we get on the road. Will probably be out of pocket until after next weekend, then back to normal (whatever that is!). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...always enjoy your visits Linda.
      Enjoy the trip, wherever it may lead.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad your son is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...SO am I...you don't know how much. :o)

      Delete
  6. I haven't done a lot of housecleaning either. Hubby painted the dining room so we have been at 6's and 7's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I guess it's a quirk with retirement. :o)

      Delete
  7. I think we share a bloggy philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if it fails to be fun, then, what's the use?

      Delete
  8. Hi,

    I'm visiting from Friendship Friday and it is nice to meet you. I hadn't thought about my blogging goals until I saw Ramona's post. I hope you will stop by for a visit. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you, Donna, for stopping by to introduce yourself. Have a great weekend salutation to you too.

      Delete
  9. I am happy you got your DVD finished. Ignoring the time to organize my photos, and get them off of my laptop, and stored somewhere else is a project I am turning into a new art form!

    All kidding aside, I do need to take the time and get all of my photos organized too. I waste a lot of time searching through folders looking for a photo I know I have stored somewhere.

    I do understand the entire copycat thing. I too am a copy cat. Except I don't copycat the crafty things. I am not a crafty person. I just bookmark them and have Walter make it for me.

    You are so correct about your blog being a diary. Can you imagine all of the information I lost when I deleted my old blog. So many wonderful photos of people and pets now passed on were on there.

    I wrote daily on that blog come hell or high water. I gave five very long years to it and it took only a few minutes to delete it. I regret that action. So if you ever do get tired of blogging please take the advice I didn't. Simply make your blog private...don't delete...then it will always be there!

    I have my bird post sitting in wait and I am going to get my Scavenger hunt post made up in a few minutes. I have the photos.

    I'll be seeing you around those memes this weekend I hope. I hope ya'll have a good one down there. It's cold and wet here again...grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud and I are just now getting ready to go venture out, hoping to find some birds to photograph this morning. It promises to be a beautiful day [thinking the song by U2]....anyway, y'all stay warm and dry, working on your blog posts.

      Delete
  10. I love the Red Elderberries. We have a lot of those around here.

    A shooting is always scary to hear about but I can only imagine the horror you felt that it was where your son works! So glad all was well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, he was quite calm about it.

      Delete
  11. Ha-ha - I feel like I am studying for a spelling test for Andy. I love new words - can't say he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I thought it was a good, different way to talk about the week's frags.

      Delete

  12. What a clever idea to use vocabulary words to link your fragments together! You are nothing, my dear, if not very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, could you reply to this comment with an e-mail (there's a link to my e-mail addy on my profile) so I can use e-mail to respond to the long, lovely comments you leave on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your post--a creative way of sharing your thoughts. How frightening to have your son in such a horrendous situation. What's wrong with the world these days!!! Have a great weekend. Mickie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seemed very calm about it all. Guess, that's a good thing?

      Delete
  15. I'm glad your son is safe.

    Those berries look familiar, but I don't know what they are. One thing for sure, they do look nice and juicy.

    Congrats on finishing your photo DVD project! It would take me more than just a week to do something like that.

    I use Chrome as my browser and the new set-up looks just fine. I have a 17" screen and I think the resolution is 1084x800, but I don't have to scroll horizontally. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the input Bee.

      Delete
  16. I heard that on the news how horrible, I did not know your son taught there but I am happy to hear he is ok.
    I love blogging and I am doing only when the big boss is out of the office. The new changes here at the office are really strict. I can not wait till Sept so I can take full retirement. Oh happy days
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. retiring...the best thing since mashed potatoes and gravy!!

      Delete
  17. Your vulnerablity reminds me of a story my mom told about her friend and coworker who was calmly working the school swtichboard on September 11th, fielding calls from panicked parents when all of the sudden she burst into tears saying, "Oh Teddy, you are okay! I will call mom!" Her brother worked in the Twin Towers and the whole time, she had no idea if he as okay, but told no one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a new one so I hope you can email me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, first, I love your Valentine header and background! I don't know how you managed to personalize it like this!! The elderberries have been on Dr. Oz lately, the tea is great for colds and flu. SO scary about your son!! I am so glad he is alright. Were there any serious injuries or deaths?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three injured, one seriously as far as I've heard recently. Thanks for the compliment Ginny

      Delete
  20. Blogging goals, huh???? I just want to be able to share my life --and our travels with anyone who might be interested...

    I love blogging --and will continue doing it as long as it brings me JOY. I stuggle with visiting other blogs --and that is why I blog less than I'd like to or less than I used to. I feel guilty if people visit me and I don't visit them... That is my biggest problem with blogging.

    I love the personal blogs --where I learn something about the person and their families and lives... I of course love bird blogs, travel blogs --things I'm interested in.

    I get a little frustrated with some of the memes (like the barns or gates, etc.--since it just seems like the same thing over and over)... Oh Well---I'm not complaining though since I have met so many TERRIFIC people through blogging.

    Enough of my epistle today.. ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...I have to agree about the 'fences' meme. That became very redundant within such a short time.

      Delete
  21. And, so many of us enjoy your blogging.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly....thanks for the wonderful comment Lois.

      Delete
  22. Oh, how terrible to be so scared and not be able to get your son! Thankful he was not there and is ok.

    I really need to plant that one that keeps Mosquitos away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on the mosquito repellent. Me too. I need to find these at the plant nursery.

      Delete
  23. Wow, how was the shooter stopped? I am very glad your son was not hurt.

    3 columns show up for me. I enjoyed your 'words' this week. Was that a post challenge or just your own creative flair? Very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, they've been apprehended. This country is going to 'hell in a handbasket'. Sad, so sad. Thanks for the input on how the three column blog layout 'views' for you...much appreciated.

      Delete
  24. Holy cow - I'm sure you're still shaking over that shooting!!!! Glad he's safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's getting too scary these days.

      Delete
  25. Oh my, I can't imagine how scary that must have been wondering if your son was OK, thank goodness he was.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been neglecting the household chores :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like a dirty house, but hey...I don't like to be indoors ALL the time. Y'know?

      Delete
  26. I guess I don't really have goals. I use to try really hard to visit lots of different people and most never came by so I learned to treasure the good friendships I made and although sometimes it is hard for me to visit much because of my schedule at work and such . But I have a lot of blogs on my favorites and I visit them sometime but I try to catch all the people that really seem to care. I guess I did this because I enjoyed meeting people from different places and have made many wonderful friendships. I am not a lonely soul either! I have a wonderful hubby and phamily. I have many friends but I guess all in all I am a people person. I don't have a big fancy house or lots of money. I will have to read some of the other bloggers thoughts about this. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a good question.

      Delete

.