my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




What a shippin' life this is!


Today's photo challenge is KNITTED. Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and take the definition that is somewhat vague; as most would consider 'knitted' as something sewn by hand with yarns. But, something can also be knitted, as in "tied together". And my long shot would be that our city is a port city, which ties together the world...world of shipping and cargo!! Webster's dictionary defines knitted as such: to tie together, to link closely or cause to grow together.


So, I share this:


There never is a day that goes by around here, when we're out and about with our walking routine, where we don't see ship activity. Corpus being the 5th largest port in America, that stands to reason. If we're in the area of the Harbor Bridge, where the port of call is located, it never fails we see a huge tanker come in or leave...or perhaps a barge. There are always tug boats with pilots going out to meet the foreign ships and our country's ships to navigate them through the channel on there last haul to dock at the port.

Of course, in all technicality, this is not a 'ship' that you view [the 2nd photo]...it's a barge which is considered to be a boat; a  flat bottomed boat that you see usually transporting goods or cargo through the bay into the ship channel. Some are self-powered while others have no self propulsion and this necessitates being towed into the harbor. And, for thousands of years this boat's concept has been in use. Obviously, this one is 'double' duty time. Like two mints in one, this particular scene has two in tow. Slow moving, it takes a goodly time to make its final destination.


Of course there is also the infatuation and hobby of sailing!! This particular sail boat is leaving Port Aransas by use of the shipping channel about 20 miles from the C. C. Harbor Bridge and port of call. Being adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico, boating and fishing and owning yachts can be a big business. Privately owned, and tour boats that will take you out in the water for a day of sporting...be it fishing or just taking a tour around the coastline. As you can see in the photo, in the background, this is the lighthouse "Lydia Ann" on the other side of the channel in Aransas Pass, Texas. It is privately owned, but it's my understanding that she is one of the very few remaining that has the lighthouse itself lighted nightly. And you can also see faintly that the house is also surrounded by scaffolding...in repairs. I've been fascinated by the history of this lighthouse and even did a pencil sketch of it a while back.


Then, there is weather. One of my favorite times during the winter months is the warm air mass on land and the colder air mass above bringing in fog...sometimes a thin veil, while other times as thick as pea soup. I LOVE FOG. I always imagine, being here in this part of the world, the old ship sagas of mystery and fog horns. In the dark of night...and in the distance a faint sound of the horn is heard above all else, even the quiet lapping of the waves washing up on the shore is somewhat muted. It's all part of my romantic side I guess. Eerie, ghostly, quiet, serene, mysterious and could add a bit spooky. This photo was taken just a few days ago, when Bud and I were at Indian Point Park, where the bay waters meet the tidal lakes and birds flock here. Yes, we were on a birding trek. The misty gray day seemed extra quiet...and searching the horizon I spotted the phantom-like tanker faintly visible through the arising fog bank.

Also, knitting a close relationship with the consumers of the world....the shrimp boats! Each and every day you can be on the boardwalk, downtown, at the marina and watch the shrimp boats come in to dock and clean out their catch of the day. The pelicans and gulls fly around the boats waiting for the cast offs from the shrimping nets. Here, one is perched atop the boat's cabin, waiting patiently. First off, you wouldn't catch ME going out in the bay on one of these rickety-looking boats. They, to me, look like they are half rotten in the hull. It takes a special breed of men to man these and work long hours from way before sun-up to halfway to midday. But the huge shrimp that they bring to shore, if they're successful, is so worth waiting for them. And usually a good price to pay if you can haggle with them. You just can't buy fresher shrimp that this!!!


connecting to:
I'd Rather B Birdin' - The Bird D'Pot
Saturday Photo Hunt [challenge is "KNITTED"]
Camera Critters

40 comments :

  1. I think I like the second and third pictures best. I LOVE the way you spelled your name so it looks like the waves in the wake of the boat in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought that way about the 'wake'...but, you're right Ginny. Good eye for design you have.

      Delete
  2. I always watch for ships or boats when I'm near the ocean or Gulf. It was a lot of fun to dine at the dock in Port Canaveral and watch the boats and ships go by. I wouldn't want to get on a shrimp boat either, but I sure do enjoy the shrimp they bring back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, you and me both, gotta love some shrimp now and then.

      Delete
  3. Greetings from another port city -- Hong Kong!

    A very interesting take on the theme. Creative and informative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strive to be different. LOL [you and I both were trying to make use of a different verbiage for the word 'knitted']

      Delete
  4. you have an intelligent way of explaining the word for the theme. i have mine expressed as intertwined. :D hats off to you, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take on knitted! Great pictures. I really like the sailboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is something romantic about sail boats isn't there?

      Delete
  6. Anni, wonderful post and scenes from your city. It is beautiful there. Love the pelican and the lighthouse with the sailboat. I have to take a pill to even get on a boat, so the rickety shrimp boats and I would not get along. Thanks for sharing, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and me both...you wouldn't catch me on one.

      Delete
  7. Now that has to be some fresh shrimp! I love your pictures, Anni. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh shrimp is the best. And Gulf shrimp even better. Hope you're enjoying Florida.

      Delete
  8. You did good with the twist on this for the word knitted.

    I like the shrimping boat. All of the shots are good. But, I like the grit a fisherman!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thinking 'outside the box' on this one. ;o)

      Delete
  9. How many shrimp can he get in his bill at one time? Love the classic boat design. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the shrimpers don't throw overboard the shrimp...they toss the fish that are caught in the net to the birds anxiously awaiting their treats.

      Delete
  10. What a great take on the prompt Anni. I love to watch the barges on our local rivers and the ocean when we get over that way. Nothing better than fresh fish right off the boat.
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...'nough said...I so agree with you, I'd prefer shrimp to fish tho myself. LOL

      Delete
  11. I never knew that Corpus is the 5th largest port. I have to admit I wasn't sure what I was going to with this week theme of “knitted” I actual thought of close knitted family. But I did fine something knitted that a friend did for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there ya go....knitted socks. As for the prompt this week, for those of us that don't knit or wear too many 'warm' winter clothes, it was a challenge.

      Delete
  12. EXCELLENT USE OF KNITTED!!
    I LOVE HOW YOU HAVE THE PICTURES IN THE OVAL SETTINGS.
    HUGS Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photos of the boats and your interpretation of knitted! It's so nice when someone steps outside the box in their creativity!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your pictures. I like your use of the word knitted here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey- I teach just outside of Corpus in Driscoll- we are neighbors! Love your pics-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the photos Shelly....Yep, we're pretty darned close...been through Driscoll many-a-times!!

      Delete
  16. Creative post on this week's theme, Anni. I love watching ships and sail boats at our harbour. My dream is to live on a ship and see the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and my husband...he was just 'dreaming' of the same kind of life.

      Delete
    2. I always love traveling and staying near the water. When I was in New Orleans in 2000 I woke each day to the sound of ships in the harbor! Ah.....
      Your post was wonderful. With all the light houses fading into history we need to be more careful because the technology we have today could be wiped out in a moment! I work for a doctor who still has us immersed knee deep in paper! But we know where every single thing is and with computers, power failures and such you could lose it all in a moment!
      I always thought lighthouses were so romantic! Sigh!

      Delete
    3. Anne....I agree, it's scary to think about every bit of work being lost.

      Delete
  17. Your photographs of the ships are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks a bunch, glad you enjoyed the views.

      Delete
  18. I am just now getting around to visiting from Saturday's PhotoHunt! I was on the coast ... I like your take on knitted :-)

    Tomorrow we are hunting a 'daub'~ see you then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daub is something I couldn't figure out how to conjure up and photo composition. Hope you enjoyed your visit to the coast.

      Delete

.