
After taking photos of the sunrise and cloud bank on the shore, I picked up my lensball and got back in the car and drove back to the jetty at Packery Channel. The cloud formations were quickly dispersing with the heat from the sun. As the daylight became lighter and brighter, the horizon was a bit hazy [as you can see in this photo taken just above the sand dunes heading toward the Channel trail] with the Saharan sand that has been drifting into the Texas Gulf for most of the midsummer days. -see screenshot shared at top, left- [Yes, Saharan as in African]. And times the entire city is under bad air quality because of the amount coming ashore, eventually reaching north into San Antonio and Dallas at times. I don't mind a dust storm much knowing that the sandy particles, even tho they traverse in the wind currents for 1000s of miles, it's keeping the hurricane and tropical storms out of our area. And, I'll take the dust any day instead of damaging, flooding storms. Once the dust subsides off the coast of Africa, we always have a hurricane potential.As I stated in my previous post I published on Tuesday [?} of the sunrise and lensball in the surf photos, I didn't walk long. But I took photos along the jetty trail and at the beach before turning around and driving back home...




At the beach, a common tern
Along the jetty boulders, two Snowy Egrets
A sunflower reaching toward the sunlight
A gentlemen with his bait net, catching minnows for fishing
What beautiful photos Anni.
ReplyDeleteI wish you a nice weekend.
Greetings Irma
Thanks Irma. Have a great weekend yourself.
DeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteLove the Tern and the GB Heron. The sunflower is beautiful, pretty views of the water and a great heart find..
Take care, enjoy your weekend!
Y'know by now I love finding 💕
DeleteI can see how a dust storm would be a minor inconvenience compared to the alternative.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, love the heart.
Ya, the Saharan dust is more tolerable!!
DeleteBeautiful photos, Anni! Happy Saturday!
ReplyDeleteHave a happy weekend too, M&M!
DeleteYour photos along the jetty trail and the beach FAN-tastic! I especially love the one you captured of the people fishing and the surf pounding against the boulders. VERY cool shot!
ReplyDeleteAnd although I've never experienced a dust storm, I have experienced flooding storms living in Florida for 20 years. Therefore, I do know how damaging they can be.
That heart is just beautiful! And how special was it that you found it!
Have a super weekend, Anni!
Thanks Ron. It always amazes me the number of fishermen are out so early. Dozens!! I am always in the look-outfor things in nature that are hearts.
DeleteWonderful pictures, Anni. I'm going to curtail my walk today because of bad air quality. Maybe I'll head to the gym instead. I love the last heart picture!
ReplyDeleteGyms are Petrie dishes to me (even before Covid). Smoke from fires in your area, I assume?
DeleteHard to believe that sand from so far away shows up there!
ReplyDeleteYour photos are so pretty and I really like that heart pic!
I've been wondering if someone didn't CUT that heart?!!
DeleteLearn something new again!
ReplyDeleteThe dust storms come... They come from Africa.... They keep hurricanes at bay...
But they must keep people in, as much as possible. Still better than hurricanes!!!
🍂 🍁 🌻 🌰 🌻 🍁 🍂
Never stop learning! 😊
DeleteEnjoyed this series of the jetty trail and beach. Minimal surf? Does that mean low tide?
ReplyDeleteNo...you can have very low wave action and still be "high tide". Hardly any wave currents that morning.
DeleteWow, awesome find of that pylon heart...
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about the African sand drifting up the Gulf to you..fascinating..learned something new this morning.
I love all your shots of our world.
Sue
Yep, we experience it yearly. Some years worse than others (and longer periods)
DeleteI really do enjoy your pictures! You have a good eye for it!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Jeanette!
DeleteGreat photos and interesting info about the sand.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of it 'til we moved here.
DeleteLoved that silver lining. I remember those occasional African dustings we got in Florida. Here we are getting smoke from the West. Could do with out all the sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'll take the dust any day instead of hurricane threats.
Deletevery good shots :)
ReplyDeleteI told husband that when he gets some time off, we need to go on a photo hunt.
safe weekend :)
Sounds fun to me!! Time it well, make a day of it with lunch!!!
DeleteThat's fascinating about the dust. As always, your pictures are beautiful. ❤️
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean
DeleteThe heart actually looks carved out on purpose!
ReplyDeleteI had thoughts of the same!
DeleteI don't imagine I would like the dust either but as you say, it's better than a hurricane. You must have to do a lot of dusting because no doubt the dust gets into the house somehow or other.
ReplyDeleteActually, house isn't all that dusty...thank goodness.
DeleteI guess if you had to have one or the other, dust would be better.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are beautiful and interesting as always.
You found another heart. :) When ever I see one in nature I think of you.
I get tickled when I see hearts!!
DeleteNot much blowing sand here. I real like sunflowers.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
I don't think the desert sand goes that far north.
DeleteLovely photos. That cheery looking sunflower is my favorite.
ReplyDelete🌻😊🌻
DeleteStunning photo of the cloud formation with the silver lining and a splendid capture of the fisherman throwing his net out, the tern, the sunflower, beautiful photos! I would never have realized you got the sand blowing in from the Saharan Desert. So surprised to learn it is keeping the storms out of your area, another silver lining to all that dust. A very enjoyable post as always. Thanks Anni and have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteWe are getting Grace in the Gulf this week, but still don't know where it will make landfall.
DeleteThank you for sharing about the sands. My aunt and uncle have told me about them too. Goodness that is amazing it can travel so far.
ReplyDelete...over water, no less.
DeleteSaharan sand. I am amazed!
ReplyDeleteYep. 😊
Delete