2020 in Review...Part V


This is the last of the series. Most of these images is of the unreal, the odd, or the creepy. Of course, there's sometimes beauty in what I see too and I can't help but stop and admire what nature can dish out, taking my breath away and I ogle in silence. For instance, deer. But, I can very easily get the jitters with other subjects. Why? Just 'cause. When I'm out walking, I can come across something that freaks me out too, startles me to a stand-still. And then, of course picture time; if I am not running away that is. So, here are examples of beauty AND the beasts of 2020...

You can't escape the alligators of Texas swamp lands! The first image is of the alligator as it is gesturing a 'snout lift'! This is more typical of the female...males bellow deep from within and mostly submerged. Trust me, both critters are really not that close to me, I opt to use the high powered zoom lens at this time.



This next one in the series will probably be a tinge on the bizarre. Hey, I have a feet fetish when it comes to birds. Their talons, their shape, their use, their size, some...webbed while others are built for walking on swamp grass without sinking, etc. I tend to check out the feet. This also helps with IDing, color, shape, size, etc...


Curious? This is a Great Blue Heron

As I walked a trail on the Oso Bay Wetlands once, I stepped up on the platform to walk the edges for the Paraque ...didn't find it. But the creepy crunchy looking critter at my feet, jumping somewhat like a cricket gave me goose flesh at first sight!! It was about the size of a paper dollar from its antenna to its hind legs!! Dang. Heebie Jeebies! I then regained composure and before it leaped off the deck, I snapped a photo. Took a few days for me searching when time was free of anything else, and found out it was indeed related to the cricket...a huge Camel Cricket. All I can say it was a good thing it wasn't a centipede. I'd still be running for my life.




...two for one!

Lastly, beauty is not always a beast. Take a look at this intricate pattern on this tree fungus. I thought it was gorgeous.


That concludes my 2020 in Review. I coulda done more I guess. I have thousands of photos still to be shared. But, enough already. It's January 1st 2021!! Time to move on and leave 2020 behind. Happy New Year.


Part I [Lensball photography]
Part II [heart shapes in Nature]
Part III [Flowers around my World]
2020 Review - Part IV [Beach Life]

54 comments:

  1. The cricket is amazing, and it looks armoured. Does not even look like a cricket. Your first shot of the female alligator is amazing,and perfect! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, that cricket is huge. The first alligator shot is amazing. I would be a little terrified if I saw one in person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at first, but niw used to them and give them LOTS of room.

      Delete
  3. I'd certainly be running if I came upon an alligator! Love mushrooms. They are all so beautiful to me. Happy New Year, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    That first gator photo is awesome. I love the deer and fungi. I wish you and your family all the best in 2021, a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, that gator shot made me realize one of the reasons I am happier here in the Ozarks than I was kayaking in Florida. The deer always make me smile and that fungi is a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Anni! I love that first gator capture and that giant cricket gave me the heebie jeebies just looking at the photo. I would have been running away from that thing! My favorite is the tree fungus, just amazing and something I'm always captivated by. Happy New Year - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Cheers right backatcha Martha.

      Delete
  7. The fungus among us is my very favorite! Nice series of nature's wild assortment of interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your 2020 photos. I have enjoyed this journey through the pictures, and I must say I would have run for the hills if I'd seen those gators or that huge cricket! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gators seen pretty docile. But, don't wanna jinx it.

      Delete
  9. Oh!!!! I would be using a very long telephoto for some of these subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen a cricket like this one, and i am wondering if it is as loud as those little brown crickets that drive me mad if they get insdie and i can't find them. that snout photo is AMAZING... my favorite beauty is the fungus. awesome shot of a gorgeous fungus. who knew fungus was that pretty Happy New year and lots of fun hunting more beauty and beasts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a silent, creepy thing! I didn't stick around to hear it. lol

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by at Christmas. What a fabulous blog you have here, I will sign up to follow you, if I haven't already done so. In the past I mean. That bird's foot, I love it. The thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid series of beautiful photographs! That shot of the female alligator is a stunner! The fungus with its fanning fins is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, already a follower. I know I must have missed out on a lot of good stuff by not actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is something about deer--they always make me feel the quietude of Nature. They just symbolize serenity to me.

    The intricacies of that fungus are lovely. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a fan of alligators at all...I have no desire to go closer to them, either. And the camel crickets creep me out, too. I can handle the regular crickets and it not freak me out, but I just cannot stand the camel crickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cricket really DID creep me out too.

      Delete
  16. Anni these are all fantastic photos!!!
    That fungus is gorgeous!!!
    And the beasts are terrifying!
    I always love and enjoy your photos and thoughts ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan...I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

      Delete
  17. And a Happy 2021 to you Anni.
    Here's hoping for more strange, weird and beautiful photos and adventures this year.
    Love them all but especially the fungus. What detail and complexity.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year, Anni. I look forward to more picture in the new year ahead. They never fail to brighten my day! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy knowing you enjoy my photos!

      Delete
  19. Fantastic photos. That first picture is amazing. Interesting to get a good look at the herons feet and the is fungus cool. I always like deer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, me too...deer are so pretty & gentle.

      Delete
  20. These are great photos! That alligator shot is incredible. And that tree fungus is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous photographs, especially your first one.
    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year! The alligator and the cricket would have scared me. 😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to seeing alligators, but that cricket was startling!

      Delete
  23. Fabulous photos! There is so much beauty in nature, we just have the eyes to see :) I think I read that somewhere but it speaks to me always. Happy New Year Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed your photos Mz. Anniegirl. That fungus is truly amazing and beautiful. Mother Nature's abstract art. And I LOVE bird feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy 20BLK Jack - All The Best During This Next Trip Around The Sun

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & happy New Year to you too Travis.

      Delete
  26. Oh my word Anni what gorgeous photos...the alligator...and bird feet
    Happy New Year Now I'm heading to see your links
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alligator was impressive, both of 'em.

      Delete
  27. Oh the heart shapes what great finds and you know how much I love your flowers.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know by now, I look to find hearts

      Delete

Table of Contents