A Sepia Rainbow...


'Tis early morning, and I type this out to share with you. It's a bit eclectic; something I choose to do oftentimes when I need to get things off my thought-wave and onto paper so to speak. I'll start with a bit of humor. Some of you may have seen this before but it's worth repeating...


....something I should consider doing!!
[image not mine; unknown source]

Sunday morning, on my drive home after my walk in the park, I pulled over, off the road, and walked into the field to get photos. Looks to me, with all the crops around town and outside the limits, that it's gonna be a bumper crop this year [both the cotton and sorghum]!!! Now, question is, will the economy of our country do the farmers any good with selling this to the right bidder? Anyway, the cotton fields are lush, thick, and green. The blossoms so far are heavy and ripe...



The other day when I posted my share of pencil sketches, most of you mentioned in the comments that the one of Clint by the mirror, brushing his hair, was your favorite [as is mine]. Well, skimming through my photo folders, I came upon the copy of the original that Irene sent me so I could sketch it at the time. Here is the color photo [an aged, very faded copy]. I thought y'all might like seeing what I used to achieve the sketch.  When I take time to stop and view either the photo or my drawing, I feel the bittersweet tears of memories of those scary days when we nearly lost him...



...and then, today I leave you with the thought that has been running thru my mind these past weeks of global turmoil.  First, the statues being torn down and demolished....they are our heritage and history, people, you can't erase history!  Second, the Churchill statue in London, being defaced with graffiti...the word "Racist".  I'm sad because of this, the unrest...if only the younger generation would realize if it weren't for Winston Churchill, England would be a fascist country today, if not for his strength and determination to beat Hitler!  Lost lives, true, but for freedom...the price tho heavy, was necessary.  Oh, and all the websites removing anything relating to Gone With the Wind...it's fiction dear friends!!  I can't help but ask myself  "What is wrong with people?"  One online friend, as we discussed this about Churchill, Phil [England] reminded me that "Anni, the difference is, you and I have lived through the University of Life, but the young ones have yet a lot to learn".  Indeed.  Now, my vision of a rainbow and racial colors of the todays and those of the tomorrows...


Take a Rainbow
by
Anni
© June 2020


[image courtesy of Google Images made sepia by my software program]

Take a rainbow
Make it sepia tone...
The colors blend
None standing alone!
The browns, whites, yellows and other hues
meld into a simple beauty of mix...
The rainbow still lives on, arching to the sky.
You can see the glory of it all if you so choose.  
It reaches across the land for people passing by.
Colors we cannot change, nor want to fix.
Take the rainbow and...
And see the sepia tone...
Colors that blend
Together, none standing alone!!!

original poem by me
do not copy or steal

41 comments:

  1. I love the poem! And what a treat to see the original photo that you copied from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is so sweet and your sketch of it is perfect.
    I've often said the same thing about the craziness going on. History can't be changed. They can take down every statue and monument, destroy every movie or book but what happened will always be there. Instead of trying to erase it I think it's important that we remember it so that we don't make the same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts on the past...learn from it, don't repeat.

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    I love the poem and the rainbow. Clint's photo is really cute! My father and uncles helped to fight the Nazi's in the world war, they would not like what is going on now. It's like starting the first chapters of Hitler's reign of terror. We can not change history and we do not have to repeat it either. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these youngsters are protesting yet understand nothing what it's about...and why the historical figures were so critical of our freedoms. IMHO. And I agree about your Hitler reign.

      Delete
  4. Your sketching skill is amazing.
    I disagree with the statues. They celebrate people, men, who were racist and perpetuated slavery. I cannot imagine what a black person would feel passing by them every day. This systemic racism must stop. I make sure I read their stories, as we must bear witness. We can agree to disagree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even without statues, the historical issues will always be there.

      Delete
  5. The rainbow poem and the rainbow drawing is absolutely perfect and says it all. I agree about the statues my husband and I keep talking about it's all history and without the history there we can't know what we did wrong and what we did right and it all needs to be there because it's all part of the big picture of how we got to where we are and where we don't want to go again

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea about the password....LOL I do/did love the sketch of Clint. I can only imagine how it felt to about lose him. You sure wrote a lot of what a lot of us feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so disheartening these days.

      Delete
  7. Smiling at "incorrect" and just might do that. Your sketch and the picture are identical. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. I thought, tho funny, it makes a perfect password.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the rainbows and showing me that even sepia rainbows are beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about hues I guess, and a person's point of view.

      Delete
  9. How beautiful, Anni... sepia rainbow!! I agree with so much of what you have said here. I do believe tho that it's hard for us, with light skin, to fully realize the plight of those with dark skin. Our youngest adopted daughter has brown skin... and you would NOT believe the racism we have experienced since she became part of our family. It opened our eyes to a whole other reality. Taking the statues down... well, they're only statues. Our history hasn't changed at all... just the landscape. For those with brown skin at least they won't have a reminder everyday, of one of the people in our history who persecuted them so. We, with light skin, can't possibly know what that feels like. Love you, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but, still, as you say...history still remains.

      Delete
  10. Clint is precious in his photo and your sketch is gorgeous!

    History cannot be changed by destroying statues...it cannot be erased by destruction.
    Have a great day Anni 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poem Anni.
    I'm right there with you in the turmoil of today.
    Yesterday the statue of John Sutter was taken down by Sacramento workers because he was offensive and mean to Native Americans...perhaps he was but he was part of the founding of California and the Gold Rush..The statue, Sutter Hospital, Sutter's Fort have all been around since the year "one"...no one has said boo until now..History is being so sanitized that the younger generation will have no clue how this world even began.
    That's disgusting about the Winston Churchill defacing. Makes my heart ache.
    Okay my rant is over.
    I'm sorry to say that I think this is just the beginning...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll next want to re-name it all. Sad, sad, sad. I don't think of it as a rant at all. Not in MY book.

      Delete
  12. Hi Anni! Thank you for your comment on my blog. It is very nice to meet you. You have a beautiful blog and oh my goodness you are a talented artist! Take care!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, it's nice of you to visit back. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  13. hehehe...you have tastes of humor...thank you for meme of "incorrect" password.
    Beautiful words of poem and rainbow sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rainbow poem hit my heart. In fact, the entire blog today did, as well. Good job! No matter how they try, history will not be erased if we can keep it alive and well. It is what it was and will be - forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poem and the rainbow and all of your beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much turmoil in this world. Nature brings a pleasant relief.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great poem and great post. I agree!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo of Clint is adorable, and again, I just love the drawing.
    I agree with you on what's happening with violence and unrest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things & life are bound to get better! I pray sooner, than later.

      Delete
  19. There a lot of things people don't relize about history.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your photo of Clint and your artwork with it. You will be adding this photo to your most treasured ones I bet. It's beautiful! Winny was a big figure in my life growing up in England. My Mom and Dad always held him in the highest respect, as they always said he got them through the War and I still remember many stories from my mom of how those years were. My dad never talking about it much. Enjoyed the chuckle of those two ladies, I can so relate. Photos lovely as always and you wrote a beautiful poem and a very thought provoking post, thanks Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my life Churchill was a perfect Prime Minister.

      Delete
  21. So true what you said. One cannot erase history. The thing is, all this happening here is American history, and those that tear it down are tearing down their own history, instead of being proud of how far they have come and how much they have accomplished. Sad.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents