What does the terminology Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly mean? Well, I googled, and found that with my morning walk, it WAS extraordinarily remarkable!! Here's what Wikipedia says of the adage:
- What does Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly mean? On its own, it has come to mean “something or someone regarded as remarkable or unusual.” The phrase could have roots even deeper in the English lexicon, though. A nursery rhyme titled “Lavender's Blue” that dates back to the 17th century uses “dilly dilly” as part of its cadence in most of its lines.
LAVENDER...
Walking the natural trail system from the parking area to the Nueces River....into the Nature area of Pollywog Ponds, I saw a lot of beautiful sights to the eye...eye candy. To begin my trek, I have to climb through an iron gate [or walk around it] and go into a slight incline, up a short hill to come to the grass lined trail to the river....through a dense wooded forest, following alongside a ditch on one side and a heavily treed forest. As I began to climb, the view ahead of me was a blanket of smokey lavender at the top....once up at the top, my eyes were dazzled by the immense muted shade of purple and silver-green! It was beautiful! The field that surrounded the forest side was covered with Silver-leafed Nightshade...a wildflower so profuse in bloom that it literally took my breath away!
Walking the natural trail system from the parking area to the Nueces River....into the Nature area of Pollywog Ponds, I saw a lot of beautiful sights to the eye...eye candy. To begin my trek, I have to climb through an iron gate [or walk around it] and go into a slight incline, up a short hill to come to the grass lined trail to the river....through a dense wooded forest, following alongside a ditch on one side and a heavily treed forest. As I began to climb, the view ahead of me was a blanket of smokey lavender at the top....once up at the top, my eyes were dazzled by the immense muted shade of purple and silver-green! It was beautiful! The field that surrounded the forest side was covered with Silver-leafed Nightshade...a wildflower so profuse in bloom that it literally took my breath away! 



[Nightshade is in the potato family ---potatoes plants have similar flowers, only white]
BLUE...
The shades of blue were extra spectacular on such a morning! The air was still, the distant bird song along with bouts of silence was like taking a yoga/meditation class to calm your inner soul!!








....birds in shadow and waking up to take a morning swim, and stark contrasts to awaken the senses -



DILLY DILLY....
At the end of my return to the car, I stopped and turned around, looking back from where I came and saw this pageant of wonderment!

I tallied up a mere 6000+ steps, so off to another park to finish my walk, after I had a chance to cool down in the car while driving to the next segment, where while there, I sighted three birds that are scarce in my neck of the woods----naturally found in Northern Old Mexico, and per chance seen along the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. It was a grand morning!!! Yep, dilly dilly....to repeat: truly a remarkable day.
For further review:
The 17th century nursery rhyme, Lavender's Blue
Beautiful pictures. Those clouds are spectacular AND remarkable! Now I will be singing that song all day.
ReplyDelete:-)
DeleteTruly breathtaking photos!!! I had no idea about the Lavender Dilly dilly history. All I remember is that old song, maybe in the fifties. I love lavender, it smells so wonderful and is so calming. I have it in hand lotion and soap.
ReplyDeleteI remembered it too when I saw all those wildflowers
DeleteAs always taking a stroll (only a mere 6000 steps) is always a pleasure and your photos do not disappoint! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank YOU!
DeleteOh Anni I'm RARELY speechless BUT WOW x 100. Loved the reference to lavender blue dilly dilly...and what you discovered about the meaning. Who knew?
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are simply put breathtaking each one.
Oh yes we do so miss our Diva....I'm just so thankful she had a really good year from 8/27/17- to late August last year. September 13, 2019 will be a year. We talk about Madi every day EVERY day. She loved the cellophane that comes around Breyer's Ice Cream...
I opened some chocolate last night...we both said Madi loved those.
I hope Issac is doing well and in control of his humans!!
Hugs and Happy Labor Day
I miss her too. And yes, Isaiah owns this duo.
DeleteWow! That nightshade is amazing! I love the sky shots too. I never heard the lavender dilly dilly phrase, but now I know all about it. :)
ReplyDeleteYou're too young probably. That ages ME. lol
DeleteThe sky shots are a bit of magic...
ReplyDeletethey truly are...it was magical.
DeleteWhat fabulous pictures! I love those pretty and very different looking flowers. You definitely had a Lavender Blue day. Thanks for sharing. :-)
ReplyDeletethe photos just don't do the flowers justice...especially the entire field of them
DeleteI love lavender and I love the lavender blue. Hello old friend - it is nice to see you again - your photos are beautiful. Sandie
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandie.
DeleteI was looking on your profile or side bar for your email address so I could write you a comment to your comment???
ReplyDeleteSorry you had a heart attack - I am glad you are okay. sandie
I stopped doing email commenting 'cause I stopped sitting so long at the computer because of my heart attack, trying to stay more acitve.
DeleteI remember the really old song, Lavendar Blue Dilly Dilly and never knew about what the phrase meant. I guess the song meant really remarkable queen to his king... I do know in the south we said well that sure is a Dilly. or he was a real Dilly you really did see a lot of remarkable on your 6000 step walk. the way it looks Dorian will not effect us, but we both know that can change at any moment... we are having our same bright sun with a couple of thunder boomer storms each day. 6 weeks now of at least 1 to 3 storms every 24 hours. I deleted your blog from feedly and readded it, still will not feed and when I went to your blog from the index of feedly I could only see your bird blog. had to go to home to see the other.
ReplyDeleteI have been keeping all you Floridians on my mind and in my thoughts and prayers,
DeleteBTW, my sister's Feedly gets hootin anni's updated. Seems odd.
I removed you from feedly. shut down then added you back. will see what it does tomorrow. also saw you were not on my side bar on the blog, added you there. it has worked fine for years, no idea why it is cutting up now
ReplyDeleteI emailed them.
DeleteAnni, I can almost feel myself there through your photos!! They are beyond great...:)jp
ReplyDeleteSo nice to know you enjoyed this walk with me
DeleteI can't get that song out of my head! Those flowers and skies are stunning.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the education. Have heard of the phrase once or twice, always wanted to know what its about.
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
So did I. Lol
DeleteAbsolutely gorgeous photos and I enjoyed your description too
ReplyDeleteThanks Carol
DeleteThank you for the explanation of "lavender blue, dilly, dilly." Interesting! LOVE your beautiful photos of flowers and clouds.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra
DeleteSo pretty!
ReplyDeleteIt was!
DeleteLovely series of themed photos ~ delightful and creative!
ReplyDeleteHappy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Thanks Carol
DeleteOh how I love a blue sky! Your pictures are wonderful, as always, Anni! Thank you for brightening up my world with them. Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDelete