This is a Wilson's Snipe. On a normal outing, these birds are so well camouflaged they're not seen, hence they are 'scarce'...but if you look closely in the reed grasses, perhaps you can be lucky enough to spot one moving slightly. This one was busy preening, and the morning was quiet with no other birders around making noise, talking and commenting here and there. It was just the morning sounds, the breeze, the blackbird singing, so I took out my cellphone and clicked 'record'...
Hello, it took me forever to find my first Snipe. Now, I can find them a lot faster. Great video. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteHere... the same. It helps yo know what you're looking for (instead of book illustrations)
DeleteWhat a fun video! He was sure having fun, getting all spruced up. Thanks for sharing it. :-)
ReplyDeleteHe WASfun to watch...I recorded a 2nd one of him...but we'd need a pooper scooper.
Deletewow, and I like the lots of cheeping going on in the background. he should be very clean.. I always though snipes were fake birds for people to hunt, read that in a book MOONS ago about going on a snipe hunt with a bag..
ReplyDeleteOh yes...snipe hunts ... I remember those (practical jokes)
DeleteWhat a tail waggler! Throughout the majority of the preening/cleaning session he wiggles and jiggles that tail! Wonderful and funny to see.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed this
DeleteI loved the video! Wishing you a very enjoyable day, Anni.
ReplyDeleteMildred..
DeleteYou switched to Google plus? I can't comment :-(
always enjoy your videos...so peaceful.
ReplyDeleteThanks ...glad to know you enjoyed him!
DeleteThey do blend well! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely can easily be missed.
DeleteYou must have 20/20 vision! Your eyes always amaze me. I think you saw him because he was moving. He is SO camouflaged! How many kinds of snipes are there anyway? I did Google what wagging his tail means, and there can be several meanings, I will study further later today. Well, as the old saying goes, you went on a wild snipe hunt! And it was majorly successful!!! I will likely never see a real one, so this is the next best thing!!
ReplyDeleteI know of two snipes. But I am not sure if they are the same bird...just different names.
DeleteGreat video. You were at the right place at the right time
ReplyDeleteYep.
DeletePoor guy needs a mate to itch him in the right places!! But then maybe it was all about getting ready for the ladies.. thanks.. nice clip.
ReplyDeletelol
DeleteNot familiar with a Snipe except remember the snipe hunt joke. Couldn't hear it if it was chirping. There is some bird outside my window at night that chirps all night long.
ReplyDeleteI like hearing bird song...but maybe not if it interupts sleep.
Delete