Off to Rockport....Again!

I left home when it was still dark. Getting out on the freeway, I headed over the harbor bridge [sill lighted in colored lights as is every night until sunrise], driving through Portland, Texas and continuing for about 30 miles to a little fishing village called Rockport-Fulton. I either leave home real early or later in the morning....for one reason: just before you get near the highway exits to Rockport, there is a curve on the highway...a blinding curve if you reach this area at sunrise. The sun hits your eyes and no vehicle sun-visors help. You're driving blind!! If you don't know this particular area, it can be dangerous at that time of day!!! This morning, the clouds kept the sunlight subdued. No problem-o!! Rockport and Fulton are two communities with no distance between them....two separate communities, hence Rockport-Fulton. This small area of the Texas coast is one of my favorite areas nearby. They all have so much going for them...museums, art, sealife, historical homes, great birding, state park just over the bay, antique dealers. And the friendly, congenial atmosphere all the way around is always like a warm welcome home which, for me, is a marvel in my estimation, considering today's times. While driving the bay highway, within the city limits, such a beautiful, beautiful, quaint landscape awakens your senses... of the bay, the palms, the sail boats and yachts moored, thatched cabanas...and so well maintained!! I would like to wake up each morning with this seen through my window.

Where I park my car to begin walking the beach pathway...
...Just after sunrise
In the Jealous Sky

At the end of the park's circular drive, there is an area that is well-known to birders! Here, they have cordoned off a large area to protect the Spring Nesters. Mainly you see Herons, Spoonbills, Ducks, Willets, Ibises, Skimmers, Doves, Terns, and Seagulls. This time of year, there are literally tens of 1000s of birds, mating. And soon the numbers are tripled-perhaps quadrupled with hatchlings. By the time I walked and got about halfway to the area, the noise of birds calling was deafening. I was on the hunt for the elusive vagrant bird!!

The nesting area has been changed quite a bit since last year at this time. Last year, the land was covered with silver-leaf sunflowers. This year, hardly a sunflower is seen...the town sodded the grounds and right now it's covered with wildflowers. With the rains, the flowers are quite high and finding this little vagrant bird is a challenge. Heck, even last year, with the sunflowers the bird was difficult to spot!!

I walked the area and circled around a couple of times, keeping my eyes to the fields. Nothing. I climbed the observation tower to scope out the small islands that are covered with nesting boxes for herons, egrets, and spoonbills. Those islands were busy with activity...the herons have their daylight hours filled with keeping their young's hunger sated!! Through my binoculars that is quite a sight to behold. The spoonbills and egrets [along with ducks and gulls] are still busy building this year's homes.

After quite a long time I climbed back down and walked some more, all the while watching terns, skimmers and gulls...stopping to scan the vast population of birds for the little black and white booger that seems to not be around at this particular time!!

An Osprey was busy feeding on its catch of the day!
Anyway, to stop gabbing [too many words, I know] - All along the way, I took photos...


I love bent Palm Trees!!  - and Brown Pelicans on the old piers near "Little Island"


Area where the Gulls and other birds Nest - and A white Ibis in breeding colors


Signage on "Little Island" warning of Federal Bird Protection Laws - and gulls taking flight [a lone Caracara came flying in and the gulls took off in fear!  Imagine the hundreds of gulls calling out warning to others...oh the ruckus!]


This is part of the new wildflower landscaping [last year this field was all sunflowers].  I'd like to call this Fields of Gold [one of my favorite songs by Sting!  lyric line "You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk in fields of gold"]


Seagulls by the 1000s


Terns by the 100s


Black Skimmers by the 100s





I DID find one of the three vagrant [rare] birds!  Got photos for my bird photography blog and will post them eventually.  As mentioned above, Bud and I spotted the one that was here last year.  This year, he brought some friends with him...three so far.  Here is my post from my bird blog from last year, if you're interested in the rare bird....click here to see photos

46 comments :

  1. Beautiful wildflowers and strangely shaped palm trees! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have a 'thing' for twisted palms.

      Delete
  2. Anni, we are great fans of Rockport too. It is a bit further for us to drive than you but worth it for such a pleasant area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued by the shapely palm trees. The wildflowers are spectacular. Good visit. All I can think of having so many birds flying over is protecting myself from their droppings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry right now...they're too busy with their mates & when they 'doo' fly they're over the fenced off area...not where we are. (For the most part)

      Delete
  4. Flowers Birds palms and Brilliant sunshine nothing here accept things I love. Except of course for the blinding Sun that you drive into we suffer from that here at certain times of the morning I try to time my morning trip to Walmart so that I'm not driving home in that blending sun in my face

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, sounds like an awesome spot for the birders. The fields of gold is beautiful, what a lovely sight. Palms and pelicans two of my favorite things. Great photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too. You & me both...a few of our favorite things!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful area. Looks like a great place to get out and walk around, checking out the wild life and photographing it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing all you beautiful pictures. Wish I could seen your wildflower field. That must be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure do pick some wonderful spots. Thanks again for the grand tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's easy to do this time of year when all is so green. :-)

      Delete
  9. WOW! I feel like I have been to this place. Your descriptions are so vivid.The pictures are great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sunrise and amazingly twisted palm tree, Anni. Glad you found a rare vagrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I was happy to find one.

      Delete
  11. Your first gorgeous photo is my favorite. Also the ibis and the severely bent tree! Wonder what happened to it..I also love the row of pelicans on the poles! And the Sting song! Have you ever posted the colored lights on the bridge? I don't remember. But next time you go, I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a link to the bridge lights in your comments just now.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. Your photos are gorgeous! Makes me think of where I just moved from. Nothing like the ocean and that endless water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was land-locked while raising a family. When we retired...I wanted an 'ocean view'. lol

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni, I enjoyed reading about your visit and viewing the pretty photos. What a wonderful visit you had. I hope you'll enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mildred....and same from me to you....enjoy the weekend. Hope it's sunny for you, and filled with happy!

      Delete
  14. I could get used to a view like the sunrise with the palm tree

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for the link to the bridge picture! It is stunning! Even more beautiful than I had imagined! It reflects the colors in the water too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome....I am happy to know the link worked.

      Delete
  16. Came back to tell you that the picture in my post is a bird feeder. Its huge and if it's filled all the way it's too heavy to lift. We stopped filling that one because the squirels would get inside and clean it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly DOES look huge!! The birds down here would have a heart attack with a feeder that size.

      Delete
  17. I'd love to visit that place! I wouldn't mind seeing that first view every day either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....it's such a pretty area of town. You and me both. We could just sit and drink it all in each and every morning ...the scene like that.

      Delete
  18. I did receive your comment tonight - several have said they had difficulty. I changed the template back to "simple" hoping that will help. Thanks for visiting/commenting. Have a blessed weekend. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I just visited you and read about the juniper bushes...the comment form loaded perfectly for me. Thanks.

      Delete
  19. You got a bunch of beautiful photos and I'm so glad you were able to see those rare birds! I'll have to pass that on to our facility Dr who is a huge birder. I've shared a few of your pics with him. He doesn't like using the computer so won't look on his own! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be curious to know if he ever saw this bird?!!
      Bud doesn't like computers much either...well, the keyboard anyway. lol

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you got your ocean view and tell us all about it. My friend's daughter and family just moved on to a sailboat at the Texas coast. That must be a different experience too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could LIVE on the water. But I do like standing on firm ground look out ONTO the water.

      Delete
  21. Never heard of Portland TX. I know there is one in Oregon, been there. And one in Maine. Wonder how many they are
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that would be something to google I guess. I'm sure there are more.

      Delete
  22. Good Morning. I am happy that commenting is much easier now that I have returned to a simple blog format. Is there a reason why your comment/name do not automatically show your email? The only way for me to contact you is to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, yes...after my heart attack, I have been limiting myself on time spent at the computer and instead enjoying my life more with Bud and other things besides being inactive at the desktop/computer. I only utilize ONE HOUR a day any day on the computer, so I had to eliminate some things...I don't care for email at all, so that was the first thing I stopped. I always visit those that visit me, so...leaving comments in blogs is the same as emails and more personal being that I get to view photos and read the blogger's commentary....and I stick to the time I've allowed myself.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply and I understand completely. I wanted to make sure it was ok to leave a reply for you here since I did not have your email. Now I know that it is ok! Blessings to you today and thank you for your visits/comments.

      Delete
    3. No problem....when I boot up the computer, first thing that loads after the browser opens is my blog...I use this mostly...most all the time; blogger.

      Delete

.