MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Books Birthdays and Blossoms....

Bud and I had made plans to drive to Rockport and spend the day at the beach's rookery area in search of a rare bird that showed itself last year, and while we found it, it didn't cooperate much and the pictures I DID get of it weren't all that good.  I thought I'd try again if it ever came for a return stop-over. This Spring, tho, there are TWO of them. He brought a friend with him to his new found area. Well, as they say, the best laid plans....we woke up around 5 a.m. to sound of heavy rainfall and thunderstorms! Even if Rockport is not that far a distance; by about 30 miles give or take a mile, we both decided to wait ...Wednesday seems to be our target day now. Forecasts show for clear skies in South Texas along the coast. As of the Monday TX Bird site, the bird is still continuing to stick around. And maybe we'll be able to watch some spoonbills nesting on Little Island. Maybe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Of course we'll go to the quaint, small, but great bookstore, also, before we leave!!  They carry a lot of books on the subject of Texas and, for Bud, general history.

Speaking of books...I finished The Autobiography of Jack the Ripper last week. Do I think this author, James Carnac, is actually the genuine serial killer?...well, I have added my book review recently on Anni's Book Critique blog. My most recent book I'm reading is of another historical subject...Mary Surratt and the conspiracy theory of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.


I have only just begun reading this book. But I can say that the conspiracy theory that she was involved in Booth's assassination of Lincoln and his escape, along with her son, John's and Dr. Samuel Mudd's involvement has me pretty darned sure that Ms. Surratt was a much needed scapegoat for one reason, to bring to justice the murder of a president. At times, the more I read on the subject, the more I'm inclined to think she was innocent of conspiring the killing. But, as the new way of today, so it was back then at such a tumultuous time in our history...guilty until proven guilty. What I'd really like to see published is a good, long, in depth, fictional, work on Booth, Mudd, Lincoln, the Surratt's and the area of D. C. and Maryland up to finding Booth in the barn. It would be a great piece of work if done correctly - historically accurate [Like Gone With the Wind].


Well, since in our area, the Spring blossoming time for Texas's state flower, the bluebonnet, was practically nil this year, one of my other favorite wildflowers is making up for the bluebonnets' absence. Blooming just about everywhere there is an open field....the Wine Cup. They're so aptly named and very pretty against the contrasting green grasses...



And because of the heavy rain so early in the morning on Monday, I started another pencil sketch while Bud was still asleep. I try and keep quiet for his sake, and grabbing a pencil and my sketch pad is a good way to remain still, long enough for him to get his needed rest before waking up. I am drawing another animal, and got as far as the outlining and the eyes so far. I'll share more when I complete it. On the 18th, it will be his birthday and I will take him out for his annual shrimp-fest. We both splurge on our birthdays with fried foods. lol


Basket of Shrimp I Ordered on My Birthday


And I made this pineapple upside-down cake for him [his favorite]





36 comments :

  1. I have never heard of this Wine Cup. I guess they grow strictly in Texas! It is beautiful! I can't wait to see your new drawing! I do hope Bud has a great birthday, and I know you will help make it so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not sure about the wine cup being a Texas only flower, but I do know the deep, rich, wine color is very pretty in the fields right now.

      Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
    2. Just maybe we might get some rain today. Southwest Florida is looking more like Arizona right now. Months without it, and water rationing to start soon. Looking forward to at least some lush green colors, but we sure don't have much Spring color even in good years. Thanks for a bit of Spring in pictures at least!

      Delete
    3. Well...I hope y'all get rain. I know what drought can do for everything

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to Bud! That cake looks simply wonderful, Anni. You seem to be able to do just about anything very well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that shrimp basket, which is what I always order when in a seafood restaurant... the cake is yuumy.. I do love a good conspiracy theory, and am guilty of finding them in all and everything I see/hear.. so did my dad.
    we are watching a new 10 part mini series on AMC called The Son, about Texas, all about Texas history. it comes on Saturday nights. two parts down 8 to go, but you can catch it on demand if you have that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about that series. Based on a novel by the same title.

      Delete
  4. I think I've seen similar flowers growing in purple. my birthday was on the 5th and I requested a pineapple upside down cake. :) hubby and son made it for me. :)
    looking forward to seeing your drawing. I hope my son starts drawing again. he drew a lot in his younger years, he's 20. lol
    happy day to you!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see his art work!

      Delete
  5. btw...I love pecans and I will add them to the cake next time I make one...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too...pecans [and black walnuts] are my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Hello, now, I am wondering what is the rare bird you saw? The wine cup is pretty. The shrimp looks delicious. Happy Birthday to Bud! Bud was a nickname for my father. I love Pineapple upside-down cake. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'rare bird' in red toe is a link.

      Delete
  7. I remember the winecup and just loving them in the Texas spring! Headed back to Texas soon...perhaps I will see some! I've read several books on Jack the Ripper and on the Lincoln assassination. They are both fascinating subjects. I would agree that Mary Surratt was just a scapegoat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how wonderful, I hope he had a great birthday and that cake was surely a treat. Your book sounds quite interesting too, you should share more when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share my opinion when I finish the book.

      Delete
  9. I love your Wine Cup flowers. New for me and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... glad you liked the flower

      Delete
  10. The wine cup flowers remind me of our pink mallow but are so much brighter! I love pineapple upside down cake. The last one I made I used crushed pineapple and omitted the pecans. Sooo good. So easy. Now I'll have to make one. I'm looking forward to see your new drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think these ARE of the mallow family

      Delete
  11. I got to the end a saw that shrimp, fries and cake and totally forget what I was going to comment about

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not familiar with the wine cup, but it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry the bird did not play along. Sometimes they can be that way and just do not wish to have their pic made! Reading, I go in spells, I read, I don't read but right now I am making it a point to read in the evening before bed to relax. I am reading about the murder of Jonbenet Ramsey. About 1/2 way through a BIG thick book. Food.....YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in that area...the famiky was popular...sad case.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful flower! I never heard of it before.
    Happy Birthday to Bud - hope he enjoyed that cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did...thanks Mari

      Delete
  15. The pineapple upside down cake does look good. That one thing I've never made.
    Coffee us on

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty wildflower! So disappointing about the bird, though. I can't read murder mysteries anymore since I read about Ted Bundy. It cured me good - I am home alone too much! Hope Bud had a wonderful birthday eating the yummy food. The upside down cake looks delicious! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty flowers!
    We like to indulge on our birthdays, too (Rainbow Trout at Red Lobster is a favorite)
    I like reading about history. I am sorry I cannot remember the name of the book, but I read one about the Booth family (they were all famous actors) that was very interesting.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trout . And rainbow trout, even better!

      Delete

.