“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





West Guth Park...

After walking the new trail at Pollywog Ponds, I ventured over to another park. This one is a huge park, mainly for picnickers and children of all ages. There is a duck pond, a frisbee golf course, a senior center, a swimming pool, and lots of grassy areas with walking trails. It's also hilly, but not steep hills...a gradual degree of elevation or incline. Last Saturday, at one area near the pool, a dog training session was taking place. I walked over and sat on one of the picnic tables and watched a bit. Some, Doberman Pinchers, German Shepherds, Boxers, and others were very much aware of their owners! While others did what was commanded, and yet some could've cared less about the lessons. The Master of Ceremonies had a trail marked out for them to 'heel' while in other areas there was an obstacle course for the poochies. I found the Great Dane's choke chain collar a bit disturbing- it looked like it was being a bit of a torture lock on the neck [the large white dog with a muzzle]...





- - -

Then, it was time for the dogs to take a short break in their training. This is when the doggie poop bags came out of their owner's pockets and they scattered here an there. That's when I took my cue and began walking around. My first area was over the hill from the pool to the duck pond. There was a family of four feeding the water fowl...



...atop the first hill, in the grassy area just before the creek that meanders through the park, three gentlemen were in the midst of a game of disk golf. [frisbee], and I continued walking through the wildflowers, listening for bird song. Getting further away from the ruckus of the geese and ducks honking and squawking I listened to a mockingbird singing and the clucking of scissortailed flycatchers. There were several scissortails throughout the park on this day...


...tho my step count was broken up, I managed 15K total for the morning and it was time to get back in the car and head on out of the park to the grocery store for cat food, milk, and a deli salad for lunch. I still had a couple loads of laundry waiting at home for me to make my day complete.

26 comments :

  1. All wonderful! Thanks for taking me along with you! That choke chain looks painful. Personally, I don't think they should be used, or even exist. Oh, that gorgeous fuzzy pink flower!! I have never seen one like it. Probably another one that grows only in Texas. Another favorite is the gnarled tree on the left. Is the first bird a Flycatcher? He is gorgeous! Snow white with a grey wing and beak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think they should not be used.

      Delete
  2. What a nice park. That choke collar does seem a bit much. I can't imagine that it's too comfortable for the dog not to mention having the muzzle on as well.
    That was a lot of steps just for the morning alone. I don't usually get that many in an entire day. I feel like such a slacker now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, but you have many 'side track's with a job at hand...not just walking!

      Delete
  3. my eyes went straight to that choke collar the moment the post opened. I hate those things. congrats on all those steps, I love number 14 pic the white bird behind the green cedar.. so beautiful. but then all your photos are beautiful. I do hope you get a few bad ones that you have to delete, that would make me feel better about my photos. ha ha.. my favorite dog is the brindle, he looks exactly like Jake if Jake was 15 pounds bigger. same markings on the face. but a bigger square face to Jakes narrow..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I can't tell you how many I've thrown out 'cause they're bad/blurred/butt ugly!

      Delete
  4. I too feel that the choke collar and muzzle seem a bit like overkill. Poor dog. But the rest looked happy to be there. And your scissortailed flycatcher picture are wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to seem the scissortails return too... they're really pretty this time of year with the breeding plumage showing.

      Delete
  5. Hello, I feel sorry for some of those dogs. The collars and muzzle look awful. I love the beautiful Scissortailed Flycatcher. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that dog was not enjoying the time I don't think! Happy day to you too Eileen.

      Delete
  6. I noted that the little red dog is in bad need of a nail clipping. The lone tree in image #12 is a really nice composition. You sure do get around and saw it all on this day during your walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I notice that also, with the Chihuahua's toenails.

      Delete
  7. I would have enjoyed the doggie training too. (And I too would have left when the doggie pooh bags came out!) love the scissortail; it has been a while since I saw one. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beginning to return and as I said above in another comment, the breeding plumage is showing nicely too.

      Delete
  8. I could not stand to see a muzzle on a dog. Dakota, my dog would not do so well at a dog park, he thinks he is human so he would be barking up a storm at the other dogs. You got some great pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion...as long as Dakota's happy with you, that's what counts!!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos! And some sweet dogs. Just love the peacefulness of this area, though. Enjoying your shares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the great dane looks sooooo sad too, poor dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does!! I thought the very same.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the lovely road trip. My hunch is that the Great Dane is not the sweetie she/he needs to be. My guess perhaps his last chance if being trained. Apparently a biter with the muzzle. But it is disturbing. Some of these dogs will mow you over when pulling..Been there sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one dog that actually chewed the siding on our HOUSE!!

      Delete

.