“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Taste Treat...for the Palate and the Eye...

Have you ever tasted this bread? I haven't ever tried it...until the other day. The store's bakery had a 50 cent off coupon, and I wanted to sample it. It looked delicious. I bought some fat free, low sodium, honey ham for sandwiches. Topping it off with lettuce, avocado and tomato slices. and for Bud who doesn't need to watch his food intake; mayonnaise. With cantaloupe balls and low salt corn chips...we had a mighty tasty lunch!! I even splurged and had a couple of sugar free almond cookies afterward. But the bread!! I'm sold!! I am definitely going to get MORE of it. Of course, being something new for my taste buds, I did a bit of research:
    The bread is generally made with sesame oil, which gives it a distinct aroma, and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavor. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside. Typically, tiger bread is made as a white bread loaf, but the technique can be applied to any shape of bread.
I've been told over and over from the cardiologist's nutritionist to use OLIVE OIL and that it's very beneficial...I don't like the taste! Okay so...reading that this bread is made with sesame oil...again, out to Google I go...Health Benefits: Sesame Seed Oil Vs. Olive Oil. Sesame oil contains nearly the same fat and calories as olive oil. Both olive and sesame seed oils are heart-healthy choices that supply unsaturated fats as well as certain nutrients.  Question is, is it good for you? Can it be part of a heart healthy diet? Well, of course, everything in moderation, even moderation, right? But this bread contained NO SATURATED FATS and VERY LOW in sugar! Few calories [depending on the slice]. Not bad. It is high in sodium tho. So, take it easy Anni...and you'll do just fine! Here's a recipe I found.

My personal taste opinion is that the bread is a cross-flavor of sourdough and nutty. Delicious. Slicing into the loaf I bought, it also has the texture of sourdough...made me wish I was visiting San Francisco again...dining on the wharf, having my clam chowder bread bowl.

photo courtesy of Google photo search

- - -


One of two...Pollywog Ponds

I mentioned in my previous post about a new trail. It's in the vicinity of Pollywog Ponds. In fact I took the trail before. But that trail, long ago, has been cordoned off and a new trail off to the left traversing the thick woods is now the way to go. And it was gorgeous. So lush with Spring growth of the taller than tall trees...the path was wide. And best of all it was quiet!! I am one to go off by myself and experience the solitude of being alone without other people. Don't get me wrong...I like people. It's just there are times I like to get away from it all. I find serenity in being alone to enjoy the detachment of city-life. I guess you could say "one with nature"...listening to the sounds of nature is music to my ears.  Seriously.
The Trail...


Note: The fruit tree is mulberry! There were a lot of them along the trail...and signs of wildlife consuming the berries.

- - -

The trail head ends on the outskirts of where birders park their cars. I say birders, 'cause I've never seen anyone just walking without cameras, tripods, and binoculars or scopes!!  Vehicles are not allowed beyond the gate so, there is a lot of walking to hike back into the woods heading to the ponds and river. [this new trail now makes four different trails in the area.] Also, the main trail will veer off to hike around both ponds! A birder out in this area can easily get in 20K steps for the day.

** - **

My next stop for that morning was West Guth Park.  This park is hilly.  The wildflowers were abundant, the geese and ducks on the pond were being very vocal...there was a dog training camp going on...I sat and watched them for a while before walking the hills...coming up on my next post!!

34 comments :

  1. I've never seen that kind of bread before. I wonder if this would sell in the store I work at. It's kind of a small hick town so it's hard to tell.
    That trail looks so pretty. I would love walking there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never hurts to try it....advertise "heart healthy" and it might be a big seller. That taste will have 'em come back for more.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anni, the bread does look delicious. What was the name of the bread? The trail looks nice, love all the greenery! Happy birding, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger Bread!
      Happy birding to you too Eileen.

      Delete
  3. The bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly can vouch for the delicious taste!!

      Delete
  4. That bread does look really delicious. I love the taste of olive oil myself and use it often in many ways. And that is a really lovely trail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewww, I just can't get past the taste. I'd much prefer the nutting flavor of sesame.

      Delete
  5. Love bread but never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Irish Soda Bread...it probably isn't heart healthy but it is SOOO good! I haven't had any in years. Gonna have to keep our frybread/sopapilla intake to a bare minimum. My husband just CRAVES bread, but he doesn't want anything good for him, and since he is a heart attack survivor, that is distressing to me! He wants me to make white bread rolls in the bread maker, but fortunately it looks like the breadmaker was something left in Tucson and we won't be getting it till we go back for the rest of our stuff (and the jeep). I don't know what I'm going to do with him!

    Love the trail near the Pollywog Ponds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For heart health, if you like bread,........I've been told the dark breads [without bleached flour] is best for you.

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous path! it looks like you are in the midst of a beautiful jungle. Did I miss the name of the bread? What is it, I want to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to watch a dog training class and walk these wooded paths. that bread looks divine and I love sourdough and I love nutty and I love crisp on out and soft on in. yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos of some of the dogs are coming up in my next post scheduled.

      Delete
  9. That bread looks YUMMY! Course BREAD is my down fall. I could eat it all the time all day long. Nice looking path. That would make for a really nice relaxed walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I'm trying to find a more healthy bread. This one is tops so far. lol

      Delete
  10. "Fat free low sodium Ham." wow!!! Great pics once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific, huh? And seriously, the taste is great. But, in all honesty, who really KNOWS if the labeling is honest....right?

      Delete
  11. That bread does look good. You can dip your bread in some olive oil and then eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no....no olive oil. Just a bit of butter maybe. But really this bread is tasty enough without any compliments.

      Delete
  12. Looks like the vote is in, everyone likes your bread, including me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious...if you have an HEBs nearby, they may have it near you.

      Delete
  13. I'm big bread fan, and I've been craving cinnamon rolls and they need to be extra guey.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean 'gooey'? Right? Ya, I like cinnamon rolls too. I even 'have to have' a cinnamon roll with chili. It's a good combination...the Mexican recipes for chili always add cinnamon, so why not?

      Delete
  14. Your photos #10 and #13 stopped me dead in my tracks! Wonderful and moody shots. The Tiger bread really looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail....in all areas is so pretty!

      Delete
  15. I love olive oil and anything with sesame seeds. Last weekend we had pitas at home. I bought freshly baked sesame seed pita bread from our favorite cafe Neomonde.
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUY
    You know I love the out in the great out of doors photos
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, and a few others like Olive Oil. I don't even like Olive OYL!!!

      Delete
  16. I know that olive oil is so good for you and the bread does look wonderful. I know the Italians just dip their bread in olive oil and no butter! love the nature photos and the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would rather eat the bread dry than use olive oil.

      Delete
  17. Now I am craving bread...That looks so good as does your path ... Loving spring and being able to be outside....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springtime is great, isn't it?

      Delete

.