“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





'Twas a Cold Week in South Texas

The past week, not much sunshine and very frigid temperatures. One morning the chill factor was 38 degrees. At times the air was so damp, it became uncomfortable. I stayed home a lot and read a book...


Another Glenn Beck book I finished! The Snow Angel.

Irene, my daughter is the house manager for abused women/children, and this book [tho fiction] gave me a better incite of other people's lives, and a bit of background on what Irene faces daily in her job. The book's theme is about a very dysfunctional family life at best. The main two characters are Rachel [the abused daughter of an alcoholic mother], and Mitch, her father suffering from Alzheimer's. Rachel went from her youth and abusive mother into a marriage with an abusive husband. Her daughter, her childhood next door neighbors, and a pastor's wife are 'sub-characters' that play pivotal parts in the story. It was like sitting at the table over a hot chocolate, late at night, with story telling/confessing and revelations. Poignant, sad, cute, funny [Rachel's young daughter is strong willed and wise for her pre-teen age], tearful and cheerful. I found myself laughing, near tears, and hoping for the best outcome, and could empathize with Rachel and her fear of what lies ahead.  The 'what if'.. The title of the book is another aspect that is so very vital to the story!! The memories of youth, the times of family quarreling, all mingle to a life story that could be anyone's!   The ending was just okay; in my estimation the author left us a bit short by concluding too quickly. 

- - -

Pollywog Ponds on a Wintry Day

...Some days I bundled  up in layers, and went walking... in the woods just outside the city limits one day...at Pollywog Ponds.  Another day I walked the bluff area at Bazemore Park where I spotted a beautiful mama white tailed deer and her yearling.  I took photos of them and will share those in my next post.  Of course I drove to the islands another morning. While on the islands, it was too cold for much bird activity. Not even a trace of a mockingbird in the open fields of Charlie's Pasture Salt Flats! [And they're everywhere most times, year 'round!]  Still, on the island I stopped at Leonabelle's Refuge and saw a beautiful Cooper's Hawk in the tree.  You can see by the drab gray sky and blowing feathers the weather pattern...cold, dreary and windy!  Just minutes later, while walking around Paradise Pond, I spotted another Cooper's Hawk that was trying to hide from me and as soon as the camera came up to focus on it, it flew deep into the tree canopy...



_ _ _


...and with the colder temps, in the woods, we finally have some color change on some of the trees, but still a nice mixture among the always green foliage...






_ _ _


...tho we have no snow on the ground [by the way Corpus Christi did have snowfall on Christmas Eve 2004 see this snow covered palm tree on the beach], it still looks a lot like Christmas here and there in a few corners of our home.  As of this posting date, only 13 more days 'til Santa arrives...


42 comments :

  1. It's amazing to think of YOU being cold in Corpus, Anni! I had a cold snap here in Florida while visiting my sister, but it's gone now, and we're back in the 80s for the duration of my trip. Loving it before heading back home to real winter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had dense fog this morning on my walk on the beach!! I love fog. Now, mid afternoon it's 70 and sunny.

      It can get downright cold here D J. Trust me.

      Delete
  2. Hello, the mornings have been chilly here in Florida too. It does warm up during the day. I love your cute Santas! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...are you staying in Florida for the winter?

      Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  3. Love the color in the woods. Great nature shots. If you like you can add "Through My Lens" as a meme to your list and link up. I post it every Monday. Best wishes!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite. I always forget to link in...yet, I do have your meme listed already.

      Delete
  4. adorable santa on the lampshade and I LOVE that last Santa. he is beautiful. the colorful foliage is magnificent. we did not get as cold as you, only down to 52 and we are back to summer temp today. we enjoyed our cold snap for 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those lamp shade santas everywhere. LOL

      Delete
  5. Wow, you're almost as cold as we are. All you need is some of our snow :)
    The book sounds good but with the kind of ending that I don't care for. I like to have all the loose ends tied up and know what happened to all the characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....the book comment, not that we need you snow.

      Delete
  6. Good morning and thanks for such a fun read, and your festive photos, not to forget the lovely nature views. It's funny about the cold, here in Minnesota sure it's finally winter but even my daughter in Madison, Alabama had very cold temps, and was down to 28 in the evenings! Wow. Their days were cold too, often just about 17 degrees away from me in the frozen tundra of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mind the cold...but it's the DAMP that will cut right through you.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your Santa with the bells on a chain! He is he prettiest I have ever seen. Just look how the hawk blends in with the tree! On the second picture of him, he looks like part of the tree! LOVE your closeup of the leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ginny....that particular Santa is one of MY favorites too.

      Delete
  8. Very foggy this morning but got into the 80's today. So glad I bid adieu to the North for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last photo of Santa is a delight, as is the closeup shot of the colorful leaves. The snow has arrived here and we are ready for it - and the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...keep it there! We don't need it. 😆

      Delete
  10. Those Cooper Hawks are awesome ~ great shots and love the array of Santas (who can resist a Santa Claus) ~ Wonderful blog post ~ thanks,

    Wishing you peace in your week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. 38 degrees is cold for your area! We are headed into the teens this week. I don't mind the cold as long as we don't have wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downright cold....but it never lasts long.

      Delete
  12. The hiding Hawk is well camouflaged in this shot.Yes,Christmas is almost here.I am reminded frequently by my granddaughter that it's close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To all those of us who are still a child at heart during this season, we continue to count the days. lol

      Delete
  13. I enjoy your accounts of your drives and walks around Corpus Christi. Especially this time of year I miss south Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the area, I think I'd miss the nearby gulf most of all.

      Delete
  14. The book sounds good, but too bad about the ending...
    Your photos are so pretty! We will have snow - got 13 inches over the weekend.
    Love your Santa's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 inches and climbing I'll betcha!!! And cold.

      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  15. I look forward to reading that book. My friend from high school lived and worked in a home for abused mothers and their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say his work is very good, and I bet you WOULD enjoy it.

      Delete
  16. Great name Pollywog ponds, I wonder if you'll have a white Christmas - we're sweltering here in Melbourne today so fat chance for us!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt a white Christmas for us. We've usually very mild Decembers.

      Delete
  17. A good book and hot chocolate are the best remedy for a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Books like the one you just read are heartbreaking, especially when we realize this is someone's reality, and all the sadder when compared with our own lives.
    How wonderful, then, that you have your beautiful photos...I especially love the ones with the changing colors. Wishing you the best of the season, whatever the weather.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks forvvisiting today!

      Delete
  19. Having taught in the inner city I was all too frequently made aware of neglect and abuse...It is very cold for you.. It is 17 degrees here.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. My uncle enjoys Glenn Beck. I was married to an abusive husband. During my divorce I had the urge to write a book, to share with other abused women. I still think about it, but I'm not a writer. :(
    gorgeous leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our daughter was too....and it's a difficult life. Scary, not knowing what to do, love hate...things like that.

      Delete

.