“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Here a Cow, There a Cow...

When I see a beautiful steer/bull/cow in the fields while out birding, I always think "Boy, this hide would make a beautiful rug!" On this particular stormy day while out driving around the 'burbs to find some Sandhill Cranes, this bull was absolutely gorgeous! I think it's a shorthorn [and the horns are pretty too...tipped in black]. As I snapped dozens of photos of the cranes, I couldn't help but take a few photos of this 4-legged handsome devil!! "You wonder if I could drive up the ranch's driveway and ask them if they'd sell me the hide when it comes time for butchering." Instead, I finished taking the pictures and left. Don't want to be shot at trying to trespass in Texas...




A couple other ones grazed/chewed cud in the same field. I think the white one has some Brahma blood mixed in its genes. [and the rusty colored ducks along the pond's shoreline are Black Bellied Whistling Ducks]..



- - -


Then, on an earlier date when Bud and I drove to Goose Island in search of another kind of bird, a reported Bald Eagle [which we didn't find].  We stopped at the "Big Tree" area and an adjacent field had a few Sandhill Cranes.  Soon I spotted three more birds of interest! The tallest land bird in America....three Whooping Cranes! As I tried to get a decent photo without my tripod [they were a far distance away from the park road], I ended up watching the cattle. Mainly 'cause the Cattle Egrets were following them around the field as the cattle ate...

36 comments :

  1. I would guess that handsome devil will be used in breeding. What beautiful babies he would make. A long life with plenty of lady friends for him!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...never thought of breeding. Of course my breeding days have long passed, so it's always the furthest from my mind. [wink]

      Thanks Lea.

      Delete
  2. I think I like the russet red cow hide best.
    We took a trip down to the Lower Rio Grande Valley last week and saw hundreds of sandhill cranes in the fields on the way there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandhills are soooooooo elegant!!

      Delete
  3. that is just about the most beautiful bull I have ever seen, I love all those Dalmatian spots he has. he is one handsome devil for sure.. if I were there my post would have a dozen cow pics and 2 birds.. my favorites are the bull with the sand cranes. wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, out birding, I notice ALL critters if I can. I like the reference of "Dalmatian Spots"

      Delete
  4. That bull in the first picture is really gorgeous -- wow! what a color combination on his body. I hope it is not killed. Why are these large, beautiful animals killed :-(? And their hide can be made into rugs, really? I didn't know that. I am thinking that it will smell bad if you have such a big piece of leather in your room. Love those pictures of birds. You really take superb bird-pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no smell of leather, once the hide is TANNED. And they make beautiful rugs.

      Delete
  5. This last cow is so shiny and beautiful! And the first ones are so unusual with the black horn tips. We have ones similar to this here, they call them Oreo Cows. All black with a pure white band around the middle. The Whooping Cranes are awesome!! And this is the only way I will ever see one. Wouldn't an ostrich be larger than a Whooping Crane? Have you ever heard those ducks whistle? We have heard a groundhog whistle, hence the nickname Whistle Pig. LOVE your snowman and bird header!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ostrich is NOT an American bird, I post largest American land bird.

      Yes, I've heard them 'whistle'. But to me it's more a wheezing sound.

      Delete
  6. Those are pretty cows!! Love those animals! I like the first one best! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I love the dappled black and white.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures Anni,..all of them, and I agree with you the beautiful hide would make a handsome rug, but it looks just fine on the bull, and the cows are also beauties. They are taking no notice of the Sandhill Cranes or the Egrets, and its so lovely to see them all in perfect harmony. The only way I can see the elegant Sandhill Cranes is in a Biological Park. The Whistling Ducks remind me of Theresa.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect harmony indeed!!!
      Thanks...yes, Ms. T came to my mind too.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen a bull that looked quite like that and that's no bull :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent animals. Big and beautiful bull! I would have definitely checked out the chance of ever owning that unusual black and white hide! Big Red is also dressed in a glorious coat. (We do eat beef.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around Texas [especially ranches] the shot gun is probably sitting, propped up, by the doorway. Not me. lol

      Delete
  10. The black bull is a beautiful animals is the one in the last picture.I don't want to be near these huge animals, but I do appreciate their looks, and their meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are 'mean' and protective while others are so gentle and loving. Guess that's when a cow-whisperer is needed.

      Delete
  11. gorgeous animals. even though we have leather in our home and vehicles I couldn't have a rug from one of these beauties. you captured them beautifully.
    Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that way, the 'live forever'!!

      Delete
  12. He is one beautiful animal, the bull I mean. Haven't been to the ranch to take pictures in several months. I'm going to miss those cows when John gives up the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are funny! I wonder what the rancher would say if you drove up! That is one handsome bull though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd probably say "You've got 10 seconds!!" And then I'd hear the cocking of the trigger.

      Delete
  14. Fabulous critter, for sure. I laugh at the different kinds of critters that you fall in love with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an animal lover at heart...except for the slithery ones. You know what I mean.

      Delete
  15. Hello Anni, what a handsome bull. I love the cranes too. Awesome sightings and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cows are really healthy and beautiful, but that bull really looks special. I haven't seen such design in other pictures. It is even lovelier than the birds, but that is debateable, haha, in the eye of the beholder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the eye of the beholder indeed!!!

      Delete
  17. Lots of good steaks out there. Wow,, I would say Prime indeed! Enjoy your weekend, great pics as always.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm, steak!! I'll take mine sizzling and medium rare!!!

      Delete
  18. That first guy is so handsome! Makes me miss my bovine.

    ReplyDelete

.