“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Rudelle and Rudy [or maybe Rudi!]

In my previous post I mentioned how cold it was the past week, and even tho I'd prefer to be outdoors, I did stay home and tried to keep myself busy by reading, laundry, cleaning a bit. And making a traditional December treat for us. My whole family loves 'em. And yes, it's been a Christmastime tradition since I was a young girl. Mom used to make them also. One day, I figured it was close enough to the holiday to have them around for us to snack on. It's our late night 'before going to bed' treat. A rice krispie bar and a glass of icy cold milk.



- - -

Nueces River - Behind the Trees

I also mentioned in my previous post that while I was walking the bluff at Bazemore Park, I soon dropped down into the hollow below, where there are open fields, a couple of ponds and picnic areas, all near the river bank.  Driving the park's loop before parking the car at the boardwalk, I spied a mama white tailed deer. I shot her!! Through the lens that is. And, from the car window so not to startle her and make her feel threatened....





...she spied me and soon disappeared into the dense woods for cover.


At the boardwalk I parked and got out to walk. Reaching the boardwalk, I was startled somewhat by ME startling the yearling white tailed deer. I lifted my camera, but all I could see in the viewfinder was the white tail bounding through the tawny colored brush that made the photo op no good...the color camouflage of the deer didn't make much of a clear image!! Further walking, I kept my eye out for the young one to my left. THERE!!! In the trees!! It has stopped, turned to face me and watch my every move. As I lifted my camera to focus, the deer jerked as if to seek deeper cover. But...no it once again became motionless and I SLOWLY did my 'work' on shooting it!! Then, I zoomed in, shot it a few more times to be sure I got it...and then, it turned and left...




...I call him "Scarface" - 'cause of the scar on his nose.




34 comments :

  1. Your treats remind me of my precious mother. She would make them for some of our Christmas treats as well. Her homemade fudge was so wonderful and no one can find the recipe she used and we have tried a few. Shh, I actually captured one of Rudolph's helpers this week as I drove around our county looking for some possible shares... I LOVE Christmas and I wish that the beauty of hearts would last the year to it's entirety. Hugs Anni~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is the one that made the fudge for the holidays. With so many walnuts added it was delicious! None can compare to the home made delights of the season.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, cute shots of the deer. I think I have only tried rice crispy treats once, maybe I should give them another try. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, try 'em for a change of pace...I'm sure you'll enjoy them again.

      Delete
  3. That's one thing about deer..out of the blue they will go still like a statue...quite like the way squirrels will freeze thinking, great, she can't see me if I don't move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, exactly. And such photographic subjects too...both deer AND squirrel.

      Delete
  4. I can't even imagine how exciting it was to shoot that last group of photos. I felt the excitement as I looked at each picture yours and mine. Absolutely stunning group of photos of a magnificent beautiful girl. I have not had Rice Krispies like that in many years and I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now, if you'd like, I'd share a treat or two with you...but you'd better hurry, they don't last long in our house.

      Delete
  5. You are a rice crispy treat tease! Now I will HAVE to make some for us. So simple - so GOOD! The shots of the deer are really impressive, and I know how excited you were at the time. By the way, my post today will show you some REAL snow we had here years ago. Yesterday's was nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the young of any animal is so cute! Love deer eyes anyway. I just HAD to try to zoom in on it.

      Simple, very little time, and oh so good those krispies are!!

      Delete
  6. WOW! These are special encounters for sure.Beauitful images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your closeups are exquisite!! I have shot these deer before, but never this close!! Such big beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't all that close...about 40-50 yards away. I have to give the 'credit' to the camera's zoom lens. I too love their eyes.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous photography of the deer ~ Wow! ~ thanks,

    Wishing you peace in your week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your feedback today, Carol, is so much appreciated! Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Your photos are splendid. I love the yearling. You are indeed a wonderful photographer. Wishing you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, I love Rice Krispy treats - yummy ;o) What a marvelous shot of the deer! I've spotted several when riding in the woods, and have yet to get a clear shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen...it's been a long long time...how are you doing?

      It's good to 'see' you here, visiting.

      Delete
  11. Love the pictures of the deer. The only time I ever see them is when they're running out in the road in front of me.
    Call me strange but I'm not a fan of rice krispies treats. I have a recipe that's a bit different than the normal one and it's the only kind I like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you've piqued my interest! Care to share your recipe?

      Delete
  12. Well Scarface is a sweetie! Great full face shots, thankfully through your lens only! You sure find some beautiful nature captures for us too! I love seeing it, because right now everything is pretty much white around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the coast I do! You're gonna have a white Christmas?

      Delete
  13. My husband adores rice krispie treats. You have some great shots of this deer. Close ups, like yours, are always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on both parts of your comment. Here too...hubby/rice krispies & close ups of deer eyes.

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, what wonderful shots you got! Thank you for sharing them! Great post! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Glad you enjoyed the images.

      Delete
  15. So I read a Christmas book YEARS ago, about rice krispy treats being a winter tradition, and I thought... I NEED THIS TRADITION IN MY LIFE!! and immediately ran out to buy the ingredients to do this.. totally forgot about this until I saw your image above! Now I need this. Like... right now!!!! Also, gorgeous shots of that doe!! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Enjoy those treats!!!

      Delete
  16. What a nice surprise for you! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was surely a kodak moment for me...thanks Mari.

      Delete
  17. beautiful...beautiful...beautiful! you know, I showed my husband the deer and pointed out the scar to him and then I saw that you called her scarface. really beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I wonder what caused the scar. But ever so cute.

      Delete

.