MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




On Silent Haunches...


The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.
by Carl Sandburg



Fog, being such a beautiful, quiet, weather phenomenon, early one day I recently hopped in the car and drove through the dense air after reading about the alert on my phone weather app, as I love this weather pattern most of all. I ended up at Packery Channel to walk the jetty to eventually view the sea. The channel itself was low in water level and glassy, un-moving ---like a millpond ....must be low tide! Through the mist I saw egrets, herons, willets, terns, seagulls, turnstones and plovers. Across the channel someone else was walking and enjoying the peace and quiet of the morning - look closer, the dark object in the upper center of the photo [across the water] is the subject...




I zoomed in...




Reaching the Luby Beach by taking the first access road to the beach on Mustang Island, a popular area for surfers, through the grayness, many vehicles slowly came into view, appearing a bit ghostly. Already, at this hour just after daylight? Surfers? Probably. Fishermen? Probably. Visibility was only a few yards ahead of me. Soon the jetty and the protective railing came into view. Yep, surfers AND fishermen! The sound of the wave action became clearer as I neared the open water. As I walked to the end, all this [and more to come later] I spied:




Three Gentlemen on the channel boulders - The Open sea


A Lone Fisherman - At the End of the Jetty a man with his Coffee


A Tern in the mist


On the Channel Fishermen in a boat - Egrets across the channel water


The Open sea - Good Surf for the surfer dudes!!


Which will conclude this post.  I stood for quite a while watching the waves crash against the boulders and with the surf being substantial for the novice surfers, I kept busy photographing them with their boards.  After there for some time, I walked back to the beginning of the jetty and cut across to walk along the shoreline.  Those photos will be my upcoming post.  Stay tuned....






30 comments :

  1. How beautiful, quiet and peaceful. I can almost feel the quiet. Wonder how come it is always so quiet in the fog? I read a quote once that described the fog as being as quiet as a monk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, other than the air being very 'thick' it probably 'drowns' the sound out around you.

      Delete
  2. Great, moody photos. I don't know what it is about surf that is so great to watch. I've been known to do it a lot myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It relaxes me!!! The sound mostly I think.

      Delete
  3. You certainly captured the mood. I recall being in the woods with the silence of the snow falling, A hush falls upon the land. I imagine the same feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....there is something quieting and peaceful with a blanket of snow too! I agree.

      Delete
  4. I have always loved that Sandburg poem, and fog. Your pictures are wonderful. I was taken by my sister and nephew to the Tampa airport early yesterday morning in dense fog. When the plane took off, we were out of the fog almost immediately! Thanks for the great shots, and especially that last surf picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, fog rarely goes too high in the atmosphere. But oh so pretty and the quietude along with it makes for the best weather possible. {Except for driving with all the other 'crazies'.}

      Delete
  5. thanks for the idea. I have never even thought about going out to take pics in sea fog. we have had heavy seafog for 3 days now. and now that you put it in to my head it is probably gone. it is rare for us to have fog here. I do hope we get one more day. I love all the pics, my two most favorite are the boat and the 3 fishermen together. awesome fog pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I know we are going to have fog...I'm out and about. I love it.

      Delete
  6. Subjects seen through the fog anywhere are usually interesting as are yours. Great shots! Eerie and awesome at the same time. I really like the fisherman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat? I thought it was cool when I got home and uploaded the pic to the computer to resize it for my blog and its LIGHT was on. I didn't notice from the camera lens.

      Delete
    2. oops! I meant the one on the rocks....

      Delete
    3. No problem...if I would have read the 'singular -man' I would have known.

      Delete
  7. The calm, peacefulness of a foggy day is at the same time eerie and beautiful. I love these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to drive in fog. People around here drive too fast and won't put their lights on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...crazy drivers. Spooky ANYtime!

      Delete
  9. The only time I'm not a fan of fog is when it's so dense you can't see to drive. Otherwise it gives everything sort of a mystical feel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fog can be hard to capture, but you did it well. I think it has kind of a mysterious beauty to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember studying that poem in literature class in High School. :)
    I love fog pictures. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful mist-ical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good play on words here Fi! Thanks.

      Delete
  13. you've turned the fog into art. :) really pretty! my favorites are the birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pretty to watch birds fly in the foggy mist...appearing, disappearing, only to reappear as they fly onward.

      Delete
  14. Great images Anni!:) You have captured the mood beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

.