MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Sunday Walk Conclusion...

Some bloggers commented this 4 part series was, perhaps, a very LONG walk. Not really; a little over 3 miles round trip from where I parked the car and back again. I just decided to take a leisurely walk around to show a bit where I live, stopping frequently to stay cooler without heat exhaustion, and to take LOTS of photos.  It's all grouped within an area of the city that is knitted together for a culture section of town.

I conclude the walk with a couple more museums, a xeriscape garden, the Houston Astro's Farm Team Ballpark, and then, the Port of Call...the 'end' of the ship channel, where all domestic and foreign ships arrive and exit our city. So, here we go...

...leaving the Heritage Park Community of Historic Homes, I'm now walking BEHIND the convention center's complex, and will head to the port of call, Corpus Christi's Ship Channel, Harbor Bridge, and back to the art museum where my car is...in between; some museums.

I walk past the Legacy Hall and the Asian Museum...



Still following the northerly compass point toward the Port, I cross a few intersections and now enter the area of the city's local science and history museum. The photo I took makes it look small, but it really isn't. It's multi-storied and has TWO sections [to the left the local/South Texas history exhibits and to the right, the South Texas Science -rocks, minerals, sea life, oil history, prehistoric, etc.]. It's a great learning center for school aged children and adults too...a hands on learning experience in several cases.



To walk a while in some shaded areas, I traversed the outdoor xeriscapes at the Science Museum. Xeriscapting is landscaping with plants, flowers, bushes and trees that survive well in drought. Along with artfully designed rocks, sand, pottery, etc. So very little watering is needed...





...my last stop was the city's Port of Call and the Harbor Bridge jutting nearly 250 feet above the channel waters [and about 140 feet ship clearance]. It's estimated that this bridge transports 26,000+ vehicles per day. [A NEW and HIGHER bridge is now under beginning construction to be opened approximately by 2021]






At night, the bridge is lighted!! During the Christmas Season, if you happen to be in the culture area as I have shown the past few blogs...the city has piped in Christmas Carols playing from dusk to dawn. All coming from the bridge. Open your windows, or walk the same route I did and you'll soon be in the holiday mood!

...What's under the bridge? Why the Port o' Call of course!! With a world renowned explorer, a Bronze Statue of Christopher Columbus, dedicating the area as seen in first photo at the beginning of this post. And a busy, 24/7, Channel of Ships!! Looking UP the channel to the turn-around, there are granaries, oil refineries storage, docks galore, and the beginnings of train tracks to ship cargo inland. Along Navigation Highway you see semi truck traffic; as the transporters collect goods and begin their journey aboard semi-tractor trailers to all across Texas and parts unknown through USA.  Looking DOWN and away from  the channel, you see the wide open Gulf of Mexico.  Perhaps in the distance you spot a tanker leaving the port on the horizon,  or one gigantic ship being piloted into the port from, perhaps, Brazil, South America.  Off to the left as you face the channel by quite a distance, the Houston Astros' Ballpark where the draftees are learning to play as the coaches watch and perhaps decide on a special player....for instance  San Francisco's Giants, Hunter Pence, had his major league beginnings with Corpus Christi Hooks to then start his very first season with the Houston Astros before ending up being traded to the Giants...




...the sun was beating down on me by now, I decided to cut my walk short of my daily goal. Back to the car through the museum district and into some cooler air of the car's A/C...




This concludes my little part of Americana here in South Texas along the Gulf Coast.  Happy 4th of July to all of us who celebrate the holiday.


part I
part II
part III

28 comments :

  1. I, for one, have enjoyed your walk....I have never been Corpus Christie, Dallas and El Paso, yes. Have a joyful weekend, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for me, Corpus Christi has a better ambiance than either of the two you've been to. LOL I'm a bit biased probably.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed it too! I always enjoy your birder's eye and camera, as well as the beautiful xeriscaping. I wish a happy Fourth to you and yours, Anni! You're a good friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xeriscaping is a 'big to do' in the desert yards. Wonder why? LOL

      Delete
  3. my favorite part is where you got back to the AC car. LOL.. and that last shot of the sun through the trees is wonderful. you really had a lot of beauty to wander through and capture.. i am thinking that bridge is beautiful with lights on it.. keep walking and snapping and posting.. i get my 10,000 steps with you. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just don't know how people from long ago survived summer heat without A/C!! And yes, the bridge is VERY attractive at night.

      Delete
  4. My history lesson is now complete and I've learned much - even a new word! (xeriscaping) The bridge photos #14 & #16 really grabbed my interest for their angles and form. Thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe so many really cool things are all so close together! Have you ever been in the Science and Asian Museums? I imagine you have, and have posted all about them. I was just itching to know what a Xeriscape is, and you answered before I even asked. This is new to me, a new word and idea. Spell checker does not like it and is complaining! Great pictures to show us how it works! The bridge is wonderful. Oh how I wish I could stand under it in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it makes for less hassle and traffic congestion is near nil that way.

      Delete
  6. I loved the walk; thanks for taking us along. Some of what you saw we had visited, much we missed. Would love to come back to the area (in April -- because of the birds and the temperature) but that probably will never happen. Just glad we saw it a couple of times! Your dedication to walking is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss my really LONG walks, can't wait for the weather to 'cool down' to mild again.

      Thanks Sallie.

      Delete
  7. It's been a wonderful walk, I enjoyed seeing all the sights. I need to go out and take a leisurely walk with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to see the area where you live.

      Delete
  8. This was a wonderful walk! There is so much to see and enjoy. I love that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat place - that bridge was huge (can't believe they're going for a bigger one). Love the Xeriscape; it was so cool (or should I say hot stuff? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city is contemplating luring the BIG cruise ships into here, so, they'd need a bigger, higher bridge to accommodate. Only time will tell if it works to our advantage I guess.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for this wonderful tour

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like such a wonderful walk with lots of great things to see. Good for you to do that. It is great fun walking around just seeing different things .Have a great Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marg, and hope you had a great PURRfect 4th.

      Delete
  12. I have enjoyed this series. Have a great 4th, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. With the amount of pictures we both seem to take, any walk takes a long time!

    Nice series of posts.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. xeriscaping sounds like my kind of landscaping. i do best planting something and leaving it to nature as i usually over or under water my plants... i would love the christmas carols playing on/ around the bridge. thanks so much for adding my link to the birdin' post Saturday. i will keep the time in mind next time and make a better entrance, :) hope all is well. have a great night~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem....the time difference and when the linking tool opens is not always a good time for all.

      Thanks for the visit.

      Delete

.