MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Sunday Morning....Part III

Remember, the history of this area where I call home was not incorporated as a city of Texas until 1852...so, unlike the "Old World" with history dating back centuries ago,  we are the "New World"!!


Within the Park's Boundaries,
there is a beer garden [behind the fencing] and a rose garden


At the American Bank Center and the seawall, I turned to walk a more westerly direction. I was now facing toward what the city has dubbed the area ahead of me by a few blocks, Heritage Park. Here, through many decades of occasional house moving, old, historic homes have been relocated into one section of land...all with Texas State Historical Markers [which you should be able to read about each one if interested; click to enlarge]. Walking the brick pathway I stopped at, and photographed, nine homes for this post:  Some excerpts have been re-edited by me for shorter length...




excerpt:  "The French family settled in Corpus Christi in 1882, owner was a builder of the Texas-Mexican Railroad..."


excerpt:  "The house was owned by a rancher and once used as a hospital during the Yellow Fever Epidemic..."


excerpt:  "Veteran of the Spanish-American War and WWI, he was a prominent cotton farmer, and owned a cotton gin..."


excerpt:  "Gugenheim, a Native Texan, came to Corpus Christi, to become a wealthy man..."


excerpt:  "One of two houses originally constructed by Mrs. Sidbury in 1893..."


excerpt:  "Julius was three when his family moved to Corpus Christi...opened a Dry Goods Store..."


excerpt:  ..."Widow McCampbell  hired an architect to build a home in Corpus Christi's Irishtown..."


...excerpt:  "Benito Grande moved to Corpus Christi in the late 1860s..."


For the last home, number 9 of photos, I could not find a marker, but read this online...
    "Hattie Moore Littles is believed to have been one of the first black natives of Corpus Christi. In 1915, she and her husband, Willis, employed by John G. Kenedy, a rancher [of the King Ranch legacy], and were baptized the first black Catholics of Corpus Christi. John G. and Marie Stella Kenedy were their godparents. Hattie and Willis were employed by many prominent families in Corpus Christi. When the Littles retired, the Kenedys gave them this house. Its original site is unknown..." You can read more from the link I provided below...




After walking through the park and enjoying the shade of the live oak trees, I ventured on toward the ship channel and hoping to get some views of the Port of Call below the Harbor Bridge. On the way, a couple more museums. I will conclude my Sunday walk in the last episode to come soon!!




Read More on Historic Homes and Corpus Christi History:
heritage park
Corpus Christi Texas Time Line
Nueces County Historical Markers

Sunday Morning - Part I [Museum, Sculptures, Fountain]
Sunday Morning - Part II [Seawall, Shrimp Boats, Cargo Ships]











33 comments :

  1. What wonderful historic houses! The yellow fever house of the rancher, it must hold so much history!! And the last house, I would not mind living in it at all! It is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Gugenheim house best. Thanks for the visit today Ginny.

      Delete
  2. I really like these old historic houses. They have a lot of charm and I would love to sneak a peek inside as well :D

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homes are open on special occasions. Thanks for stopping by today Mersad.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni. You seem to have lots of good things to see and to do in your neighbourhood. What with birding and history trails I'll bet you are never lost for a day out. Those houses look so lovely. It's so good to see the pride and joy displayed there for all to see. And a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sunny and very HOT day. LOL
      Yep, there never ceases to be somewhere to walk...I love being around the seawall area.

      Thanks for coming over the big pond to visit.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed this segment today!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful old historic homes, Anni. I always enjoy tagging along with you on your walks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I enjoy your hikes!! Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I really really LOVE ALL of these houses, they all have porches and they are all really old, which is my favorite type of house. at this point in my life i would choose the merriman to live in, when i was younger i would want the Sidbury house... so much beauty from the past. thanks for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could have the Sidbury house and modernize it for us who need some assistance!!

      Delete
  7. I am so partial to old homes....what a lovely way to spend the day... Have a joyful rest of the week. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the rest of the week too, Linda.

      Delete
  8. Holy moly those houses are GORGEOUS (I love old architecture - it's so fabulous) Thanks for sharing such neat places with those of us that have limited adventures. *laugh* ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop by anytime Jen....you know you're always welcome.

      Delete
  9. so much history and so many beautiful homes. you've taken quite the long walk. how many miles did you walk? and do you do this everyday? i usually walk anywhere from 4- 6 miles a day. hope all is well. have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...well, the walk was just less than 8000 steps, so about 3/3.5 Miles probably. And no, I don't walk everyday. It depends on the weather [and amount of birding there is]

      Delete
  10. Those homes are beautiful. I bet they are more so inside. what great history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodwork in some of these is so impressive.

      Delete
  11. I love seeing old historic houses that have been taken care of. These are all wonderful. I would take any one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of favorites...but I would need servant's.

      Delete
  12. How beautiful. Appreciate you sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see all the beautiful old homes. I have porch envy.....x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered why builders/architects leave the covered porches off home designs these days.

      Delete
  14. History and old homes - it's ALL good reading with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you enjoyed this Ms. G

      Delete
  15. I love old house with big front porch.
    I'm reading a novel that takes place in Texas post civil war time. The river in the story is "Bosque" the only river I heard of in Texas is Rio Grande.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas is "Full" of rivers [and bayous]
      Thanks Dora.

      Delete
  16. The big old historical houses are so beautiful. I think I have passed by the first one when we used to go somewhere on day trips in Corpus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These posts have been so informative. I would really like to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete

.