“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





ONE:  A few left comments about the QR code reader that I mentioned some time ago to which I became addicted. Well, the whole purpose of my installing it on my smartphone was for one purpose. Nearly EACH page in the latest book I read had recordings of birdsong from the author as shown in the image here. I'll explain later. But some comments left for me also mentioned that they had troubles with the QR code reader...I can honestly say, some apps are better than others. I found this one and it worked perfectly. BUT there is a little thing to remember...keep your reader steady...keep your reader where the scanner is center to the code...and have patience. Once the scanner clicks...it automatically will send you to a website/ In this case, it was an audio file. Okay, so now let me continue...


TWO:  I'm just now getting around to reviewing the book I finished over a week ago, Listening to a Continent Sing, by author Donald Kroodsma, I must say the TransAmerican [transam] cycling trip of the two, father and son, was a delightful read. You don't have to be a birder or a cyclist to appreciate the trip that took them over 70 days from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. The author is the father. At the age of 56/57 he and his son [age mid 20s] set out on a trip of a lifetime. Along the way, both at times, are recording the birdsong of the American continent. Sometimes rising at 3 a.m. in order to catch some 100s of different calls/songs of hundreds of different birds...some being found only east of the continental divide while on the west side of the divide, the same species 'cousin' - the Western species has a whole different repertoire of song. The route they took begins in Virginia and ends in Oregon....traveling through Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and to the Pacific through Oregon. Thousands of miles covered....all on their touring bikes. Meeting other cyclists, birders, generous people that oftentimes accommodated them being hosts for overnight stays. An extraordinary adventure; one I would and could only dream of taking. There is turmoil, bike mishaps, darkened highways, dangerous traffic, 9% inclines on some of the mountains passes, the making of lasting friendships along the way, sicknesses, motels and camping sites all mixed into this story of a lifetime.

I would highly recommend this to read and enjoy the trip....to the very last ounce of energy...watching the sunset over the Pacific and dipping their tires/wheels of their bicycles in the ocean to come to an end. When traveling through Colorado, I was there!! From Canon City to Guffey to Hartsel [my son in laws father had several acres ranch near Guffey]...I went camping and fishing in the the same areas within the state, and traveled often to fish and camp throughout Wyoming, taking the same routes. It was like going home. I could envision all the places from the evergreens and mountain highways...all too familiar.

There is one thing that I, if I were the editor, I would have suggested that the QR codes [Quick Response Codes] be eliminated throughout the TEXT and added only in the back of the book's notes/index/bibliography. The codes were at times a bit cumbersome and quite intrusive. I enjoyed the sketches of birds and their photos...but the codes should've been left out of the narrative and added as a reference listing in the back pages. Several times, after finishing a chapter here and there I would get my smartphone and listen to the birdsong from the code...but only as an afterthought. Besides, with technology advances being something new and different in such a short time, I'm thinking that these codes will be obsolete all too quickly. If you're not sure what a Quick Response Code is...I used the generator for my blog url and this shown here is the code for your reader to utilize, if it weren't a picture/jpg.

I enjoyed the book, immensely, and the story will stick with me for a long time coming...finishing a good book is like losing a friend...the afterthoughts will remain and I will keep this book in my library of the 'don't trade in books' for future re-reading.


THREE:  If you missed a previous post a while ago, one of my wildflower entries was judged a winner...see side bar Recently, I received this invitation:



I attended, but didn't stay too long, left much too soon [before most even showed up I'm sure] because it was held outdoors in the Rose Pavilion and the heat index was a bit too uncomfortable for me...




FOUR: this lavender Crepe Myrtle dominated the view along the wooden fence early in the evening. I loved the shadows...


FOR GOOD FENCES

FIVE: Texas Trivia for the day...
Speaking of Canon City Colorado, the suspension bridge crossing the Royal Gorge, I was reading this:


The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge in Waco Texas. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.  Waco, by the way, is a Spanish word ...but English spelling derived from (Spanish: Hueco or Huaco)..  More likely the town's name is from the Natives that inhabited the area...the literate term Hueco translates to:  "hollow'






48 comments :

  1. What a neat trip that must have been for them to take (although it had to have been exhausting at times). Congratulations on your entry! *applause*applause* I'll bet you were quite tickled over that won (hehe ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the play on words Jen!
      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Anni! I have heard of this father son and their trip. Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review. Nice shot of you and your painting. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...yes, it is a good read.

      Delete
  3. Hello Anni!:) It sounds like a really good read and also great to learn more bird song, also enjoyed the Rose Garden event photos, and it's a good one of you with your exhibit. Lovely bridge and fence shot too,...those flowers are so pretty on the Myrtle tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful crepe myrtle and fence! congratulations on the wildflower entry being accepted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crepe Myrtle, one of my favorites. In Central Ky. here mine is not completely bloomed out. Congrats on your wildflower entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy...I love Crepe Myrtle too.

      Delete
  6. the way you described yourself when reading the book is how i feel when I read, and i read every day of my life... i love to do what they do and see what they see and hear what they hear. i did not know what a QR code is, and now i do.. did not know they can put them in books. how awesome is that? i have seen these black boxes on things but did not know what they are.. love the crepe myrtle tree. the ones on our block are blooming now to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a book is good, I can't help but get into one as if I'm there.
      Now you know what a QR code is. :-)

      Delete
  7. I went to my library website and they don't have the book. It's either a new book or who knows why it's not there. Congratulations on your win, Anni. I can see why you won; you are a fabulous artist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D J...and yes, the book is just recently published.

      Delete
  8. I'll have to look for the bird song book - I am sure it is wonderful.
    Congratulations on your wildflower win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check Amazon...or Barnes n Noble online.

      Delete
  9. You are so good at finding interesting things to share. I do not have all the tech stuff, so I just go to the library and check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the library often also. Thanks LV

      Delete
  10. Great shot of the Waco footbridge and lovely post ~

    Happy Day, weekend and Happy 4th of July in the USA to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol...and Happy 4th to you too.

      Delete
  11. Wow what a trip. it would be great to do something like that if one had the time.
    beautiful fence shot and the bridge is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....a trip of a lifetime...but I'm sure my rear couldn't take the small seat for more than an hour!!!
      Thanks Felicia.

      Delete
  12. I didn't know this about the bridge. It appears to be in good shape. But I will not walk over bridges unless forced! Love that palm tree behind the fence, and the beautiful crepe myrtle. Around here, they are one of the last things to bloom in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like bridges either!! The one at Royal Gorge, I took two steps, looked down and went BA*A*CK!!!!!!!

      Delete
  13. The bird books sounds like a very interesting read. - Congrats on the winning entry. Too bad it was so hot out for you. Great looking Tree by the fence. Also like the suspension bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for everything Ida.

      Delete
  14. Love the fence shot and the crepe myrtle. What a trip. I also like the suspension bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that huge crepe myrtle too. They do well here in Florida and look beautiful in the Spring. I'm going to look for that book. I know my husband and I would both want to read it. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just recently published. I ordered it thru Amazon.

      Delete
  16. Interesting. Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine doing a trip like that on a bike. I don't think I've ever been physically fit enough to do something like that. Even in my better years...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'd like to....but know better than even considering it.

      Delete
  18. i love getting books with those code readers in them. i feel like i'm getting more for my money somehow. your book sounds great. i may have to give it a read. how exciting about your winning wildflower. the history of your bridge was interesting. hope all is well. have a great night.

    also... looking forward to linking up with you saturday. i have a post i think you'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really piqued my interest! Can't wait for Saturday.

      And thanks for the kind comment.

      Delete
  19. Congrats on the wildflower entry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like a swinging bridge and I've always thought they were cool.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like bridges all that much. Of ANY kind.

      Delete
  21. Sounds like a great book! It's so nice to read a book that you don't want to end. Love the bridge trivia, too. Beautiful painting! x K

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this tree. On the last photo. And the GOOD fence. Love it to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this today Jedidja.

      Delete
    2. Living in south we see a lot of Crepe Myrtle...and that lavender variety makes that fence look so lovely. Have a fabulous 4th of July weekend!

      Delete
  23. Happy Birthday USA weekend to you all.
    Oh geeeez do we understand heat index! Gosh it is brutal and relentless!!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your wildflower entry, Anni.

    Lovely crepe myrtle!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  25. We may get used to those QR codes. l can see that they have great possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

.