“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





CONCLUSION - Tale of Two Sisters


I tried to keep the routine of walking... a lot for exercise! One morning, early, as the sun came up, this beauty graced my time at a park on the island!! BEFORE Sharon was up for the day.


The last couple of days with my sister by my side, she wanted to go see the Gulf, the Bay, and find the "Red Bird"!! One sunny morning we walked the seawall and then had lunch at Joe's Crab Shack. We both ordered Coconut Shrimp. What we should've done was order just ONE basket and shared...there was way too much for one person to eat in each basket of shrimp. Delicious, but with 10 large butterflied shrimp per order...neither of us could finish our meal. Along the seawall, we stopped at the yacht club and watched the shrimp boats come in...stopped to read some of the landmark markers along the way, and enjoyed the sea breeze, the pelicans and gulls, the ships coming into harbor, and people watching. Being outdoors, in the humid, hot air, we never stayed long. So our dwindling time together was shortened as the days went on...it got hotter, and wetter. At home, with air conditioning, was the norm. Some of our plans were nixed because of inclement weather.


I've seen the bays in town, but yet to see the Gulf of Mexico! were her spoken words and wishes early one morning. So, off we went to the beach on the islands. The evening before it was stormy again, so the trip to the Gulf was 'iffy' chances of more rain. When we arrived it was sprinkling and the winds were strong so walking the beach was delayed a bit. I got in the trunk of the car and pulled out our two camping chairs and we sat near the pier on the leeward side watching the surf and talking of ol' times from our youth. After about an hour we hiked back to the car with the chairs and ventured along the coastline, with the surf by our side and sand beneath our feet. Again, we ended up eating lunch on the pier. Cheeseburgers and beer. Not the healthiest menus at these establishments, but still the company was the best part. Once we arrived back home, Bud took over. He cleaned the car of sand on the carpet and we sat down to reminisce more and ended up playing pinochle and then a few games of hearts, while the crock pot simmered of split pea soup that Bud had prepared for the three of us. For dinner, we watched a movie, Kate and Leopold, while enjoying the warming, comforting soup with salad, crusty bread, and fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert.

I look at this photo of my sister, looking out to sea, and wonder: "A penny for your thoughts". Was she thinking of her husband she recently lost? Was she thinking of her times long ago when she was single and living in Texas? Her family? Was she missing her home? What was gong through her thoughts? As I view the photos of the time had with her, I feel sad knowing that she has to be a lonely soul; without her love of her life beside her...maybe he's with her in spirit!! I like to think so....



In Colorado, there are no cardinals! I frequently text her photos of the beautiful red bird to share with her. Sharon mentioned she was hoping to see a cardinal. Of course, they're year 'round residents here along the coast. This time we drove to the northwest along the river. Oftentimes if not ALL the time, I find 'em at the park. We entered the park and hit the hawk platform first. We heard them singing in the trees, well hidden. Of course, being on the platform, we were looking DOWN upon the treetops. Patiently we waited for one to come out of hiding. Here they are....the female showed up at the drip fountain first. Then, as she drank her fill, the male arrived to join her!!  

Sharon: "Oh my...he's beautiful!"  "How on earth did you know where to find 'em so easily?" 
Anni:  "I'm a birder, it's easy to know where they are".
Sharon:  "Thank you!"

I just smiled silently and watched her with all the excitement of a child on Christmas day.





All too soon, she had to pack her bag and prepare for her return flight to the Western Slope of Colorado and home. The time flew by. We were both tired, but happy to have had some quality time with each other. Bud enjoyed her company also. At times, around the table, they talked politics and other such stuff where I just listened. We concluded our sister adventures with hugs and kisses and more tears...

Safe trip Sissy!! Text us when you arrive home.



Tale of Two Sisters:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three

34 comments :

  1. Hello, Anni! I am sure you are missing your sister now but you had a great time will she was visiting. Wonderful photos, I love the butterfly and the last shot of you and your sister. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...and have a great holiday weekend yourself.

      Delete
  2. I have a sister that I see usually once a year when I go visit her in Florida. I love that last picture of the two of you! Two fine looking specimens of female pulcritude. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D J....sisters are a gift!!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this beautiful, tender post with us out here. I'm so glad you and your sister have each other and you spent this precious time with her. I am so sorry she has lost the love of her life but I know you must be a great comfort to her. I loved the photo of the two of you, and the one of Sister staring out to sea. The delight she felt with the Cardinal I can well and truly understand. I never tire of seeing them on my back porch. Beautiful photo of the butterfly and flower and thank you so much for sharing with Today's Flowers. It's posts such as yours that I feel very honored to have you do that, and I wish you and your sister the very best of things to come, and Bud too of course. Split Pea Soup? Yep, he's a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. You're cherished.

      Delete
  4. I have nos sister and i have very much enjoyed your visit with yours. i feel a little like i have 2 sisters today while seeing what you saw and hearing what you heard and your thoughts about her.... the cardinal photo and the first butterfly photo are totally AWESOME... i am glad you had time with each other, life is short and sad and happiness is good where you can find it and share is even better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra...your words melted my heart.

      Delete
  5. Wow! A good thing to get up early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mornings are my favorite time of day.

      Delete
  6. My sister, my friend. Always. I like your beautiful photos.
    I have three sisters and I love them all.
    http://momentsfrozentime.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With three sisters, you're blessed. Thanks Jedidja

      Delete
  7. You both made some more wonderful memories and that's the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your introductory photo sure is a candidate for another of your drawings! The photo of your sister looking out to sea tells oceans of information. What a wonderful shot! A treasure! The telling of a couple of sisters visiting is heartfelt and I loved it! Pea soup?!!!! You have it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....you made my day with your beautiful thoughts in this comment Ms. G. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Nothing like sister time. I have two. One I see most every weekend, and the other maybe twice a year. She lives out of town and has to take care of her ill husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My relationship with my sister has always been a strong bond. Thanks LV

      Delete
  10. A wonderful visit but I'm sure it went by way too fast for both of you.
    How sad that there are no cardinals in Colorado. We've had a few of them visiting our feeder every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time did go by fast...and no, there are no cardinals in Colorado...at least the part where she lives.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed your sister tales. Hope she gets to come again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad knowing you enjoyed this Paula...thanks.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you had this time with your sister. I know she enjoyed it too. The photo of her looking out to sea is very poignant.
    I didn't know there were no cardinals in Colorado. I saw my first one of the season in our yard today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful birds!! I really like the photo where she is contemplating something deep within. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful time together you two had! I loved reading about your days! There's just something about a sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely better having a sister so close. Thanks Linda

      Delete
  14. Hello Anni!:) Your narrative was quite moving at times, especially when you wrote about what you imagined your sister may have been thinking as she gazed out to sea. I'm really sorry she lost her husband, but you have each other, and your close and loveing relationship is clear, in your words and beautiful pictures. I'm glad you shared this time together, and shared it with us.
    Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From her loss, I see each day she's getting stronger. It can be so devastating. Thanks.

      Delete
  15. I loved this post, Anni! I admit to a few tears at that photo of your sis looking out on the water. I'm Cardinal starved,too - glad you spotted those for her. You are both looking great. Love your bibs, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwww, thanks so much Barb.

      Delete
  16. What a fun time you've had with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni..this post was so delightful! How sweet to have this wonderful time with your sister! I am so sorry she recently lost her husband. I'm glad she came to visit you...you two did a lot together, and that's so wonderful! So glad she had some "firsts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped to read this post with your busy schedule and all that is going on with health issues. You both take care, and thanks Marie.

      Delete

.