“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Tale of Two Sisters ... Part II

Another day with my sister... Sharon wanted to go to the Botanical Gardens. The last time she was here, it was the end of December a few years back. I told her then that she'd have to return in late Spring sometime when the gardens replants all the plumerias and they're blooming. You see, the staff painstakingly takes them out in case of freezing temps during the winter and then, replants them in the Plumeria Gardens for show during the Spring and Summer months. Well, she timed it right this time to come visit. I knew those tropical beauties would be out and no doubt beginning to bloom. That was the first of several gardens within the vicinity.

There laid in store for me that day, a bombshell! Which I'll get to in just a bit...


- - -

We walked through a lot of the 182 acres of the gardens...from the parrot houses, the orchid house, the hummingbird garden, the butterfly garden, the rose cotillion.  Then, ventured out along the nature trail where the gator pond is, the covered gazebo and the boardwalk to Oso Creek.  Turning back toward the visitor's center, we walked through the desert [cactus] garden, crossing bridges and twisting and turning along the trails to head for the turtle & tortoise  garden.

For a short time this year, the Botanical Gardens, along the nature trail, has a special showing of local art..."Nature's Brushstrokes". which the Botanical Gardens electronically enlarged to high quality 30 x 60 inch vinyl images, mounted on ibond plastic and installed the wildflower depictions on “art pillars” every few feet along the pathway. It was a good time viewing all the talented work from the city and nearby towns' artists'!!  My favorite piece [showing wildflowers of Texas] was this one... I fell 'in love' with the subtle colors and of course the egret in the middle of a pond with  wildflowers as a backdrop!!


For the whole day we were young kids again...giggling, acting silly, and enjoying each others company. I wanted a photo that is similar to one of my favorite art masterpieces, by John Waterhouse...the Soul of the Rose.  And while touring the orchid house, Sharon  agreed to be the 'model'  I dubbed my photo The Soul of the Orchid [lol]. The day was overcast, the temperature was warm but pleasant all the way around. The colors, the flower fragrances, the bird life, the morning ambiance was yet another perfect time spending it with my big sister! Further along, we climbed the bird tower that is above the lake and enjoyed the views of the water below us. Every minute spent there was a treasure of time I will never forget. By the time we got near the end of the trail heading to the cactus garden, we spotted a snake in the grass. Both of us thought it was time to head back home for the day...


By the way, this was a favorite resting place for Sharon that day.
Sharon:The butterfly bench:


...Around the corner, after the first wooden bridge on the trail, I had a surprise in store. Remember the two wildflower pieces of art I shared a few months ago? Here and Here? Well, those sketches were for the contest at the Gardens! One of my works was judged a 'winner' and I found my "Mexican Hat" wildflower displayed along the path!!  I was in total stupefaction since I was never notified [or the notice went into my spam folder].   My sister was elated...she was stopping people along the walk telling them I was the artist that drew the Mexican Hat Wildflower. A bit embarrassed I was. She had to take a photo on her cellphone and sent it to everyone on her contact list. LOL



Part three of a Tale of Two Sisters is coming soon....stay tuned

If you missed the Tale of Two Sisters, Part One....our 48th Anniversary...click HERE

52 comments :

  1. What a great day. Congratulations on the win. That must have been some surprise. Love that butterfly bench. Your sister looks like she's ready to take flight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...yep, she CAN be a bit flighty at times lol

      Delete
  2. Hello, Anni, what a great day with your sister. the gardens are lovely. Congrats on your artwork being displayed. Pretty shots of you and your sister. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you deserved the recognition. It's a wonderful drawing, and you both seem to be having a wonderful time. I look forward to Part Three! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....thank you so much D J!!

      Delete
  4. what a wonderful surprise.. you are so talented and to find your own art work there would just blow the mind. to funny about your sister telling everyone. i love the painting of the heron, it looks so good in the garden.. great idea to to do that. now you hae made me think it has been to long since i went to Selby Gardena and Jungle gardens, both only 20 minutes from home... so glad your talent got the recognition it deserves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do too, that is one GREAT piece of work. And the egret in the middle of it all makes it picture post card perfect in my opinion. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  5. I'm just finding your personal blog! :) It sounds like you and your sister had a marvelous time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then....Welcome Terri. And, thanks.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to have your work produced and displayed in such a way! Congratulations - Will you get to have the large vinyl image if they remove it in years to come? It is certainly an honor to be put in full view for all to see your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'd get it back once they have the work...it's probably theirs to keep. Thanks again Ms. G

      Delete
  7. Anni I am an only child...I had an older 1st cousin who was my 'big'brother. I can see having a real sister are very special. Beautiful post.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a close cousin...by only a month younger. We too had a lot of fun growing up together.

      Delete
  8. Ah, congratulations indeed, Anni, and so well deserved!! Beautiful post/photos as always!! Hope your have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia...it's good seeing you back to blogging/visiting.

      Delete
  9. What a great surprise to top off a wonderful day! I love all the photos. That sounds like a terrific Botanic Garden. Congratulations, Anni - your art work is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb...my sister is now back in Colorado and enjoying the dry high altitude. lol

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! That egret picture is really special. I have nothing but admiration for such talented folk.

    Do we have some crossed Atlantic wires here Anni? When I say I'm painting, I'm decorating the living room, not indulging in artistry that you are so good at.

    Well how about that. I just ate the last chocolate. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no crossed wires [at least not today]....I love to paint exterior and interior walls besides painting 'art work'. That too.

      Guess I'll have to order Bud to go get me some chocolates then. Dang, I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful painting Annie ~ Congratulations to you~ And what a gorgeous place to share with your sister ~ Lovely photography! Love the butterfly bench!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is awesome to be so surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it was...a total surprise. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. What a perfect day! I think I would really enjoy the gardens, and for you being there with your sister was a real treat!
    I love that you were surprised by your win, which you totally deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens can be magical during all the seasons...at least to me. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a super fun day.Congratulations on the win.The picture is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun...thanks Ruth.

      Delete
  15. such a fun day. I like your painting of the cone flower, we got a few started once it stop raining and warm up we will planted it.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mexican Hat flower is seen all over this area in the fields. And they make the scenery all the more pretty. Thanks Dora.

      Delete
  16. What a fun day out Ann, and a fabulous surprise for you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your 'surprise'! Such a beautiful painting and a wonderful time spent with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic BENCH !
    Nice blog and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful to have time with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing ... Talk about a perfect day! It would have been that to have such a great day with your sis in such a beautiful place .... But then to top it off with your surprise prize winning picture displayed ! Wow just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie...it WAS a super, perfect day.

      Delete
  21. Hello Anni!:) It must have been a wonderful to see the beautiful Plumerias in bloom, and the painting exibits with your sister.I remember when you shared the Mexican hats on your blog, and I'm not at all surprised you were one of the winners.Lovely photos of you both!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How exciting to find your winner unexpectedly. You certainly deserve it. Almost missed this post, sure glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by Paula!

      Delete
  23. Hello. What a beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your award and getting to share it with your sister is perfect....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...indeed....sisters are special.

      Delete
  25. Wow!!! Congratulations on your artwork winning and being on display! It's wonderful! How great to see it there! And I loved the other art pillar. It looks like you guys had an amazing day at the Botanical gardens, and such a sweet surprise with the Mexican Hat! Loved that gorgeous plumeria, too....one of the prettiest I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay, congrats on your photo being a winner. These gardens sound so gorgeous. I wish there were botanical gardens close to my house.

    ReplyDelete

.