MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




The Week Past...

This past week it was T. S. Bill...it made landfall around Port O'Connor Texas - about 100 miles north and east of home [Corpus Christi]. Anyway, the night before Bill came in off the Gulf waters, the sky, at dusk, was stunning! Looking toward the storm front moving in I snapped some photos just as the sun was beginning to set...



...say hello, Bill!!


- - - * * * - - -


The morning Bill made his way inland, Bud and I went to the beach to see what the Gulf looked like. Of course we knew that the main beach access roads were closed to traffic, but we also know where we can go to park at a close proximity to the beach on North Padre Island. [so many confuse NORTH Padre Island to South Padre Island...]we are not close to the tourist resort island town...ours is local, and a lot more real estate that is still uninhabited!! Unlike South Padre Island that's nearly 170 miles from our beaches.


A few others were checking out the storm~A 'sea  heart bean' found!

The National Padre Island Seashore Turtle Patrol...finding a washed up nest...collecting eggs with the large John Deer to move to the special facility that will incubate the abandoned/damaged nestlings of the endangered, nearly extinct Kemp Ridley Sea Turtles,  to release after hatching [hopefully successfully]. *as seen here in my post ~  Large ocean swell against the Jetty!

Ocean Spray

Ocean Spray ~ Laughing Seagulls foraging the seaweed from T. S. Bill


- - - * * * - - -







At first I really missed my cheeseburgers....no longer is it always in the back of my mind. Dining out, I've found out the hard way, can be dangerous to your health. LOL Recently, I tried a homemade pizza recipe found in my Good Housekeeping magazine...and both Bud and I agree it's delicious and so very satisfying!!!





This is a zucchini deep dish pizza.
Here are the ingredients:

One whole wheat pizza bread dough [I bought mine at the local grocery store in the frozen food aisle]
Thinly sliced zucchini [skin on]
Shiitake mushrooms [cleaned and sliced thinly]
Low fat mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Diced, Fresh, green bell pepper
Diced, Fresh, red bell pepper
1/2 jar of marinara sauce [or pizza sauce]

note:  recipe called for salt and olive oil to mix with raw veggies...I eliminated these two ingredients.  In my opinion there is enough oil and salt in the processed sauce already!!

Tho, this is all the ingredients the pizza called for in the recipe, and it DID have amounts of each ingredient, I never measure, so it was made to taste for our preferences... I also added thinly sliced onion AND thinly sliced, fresh, calamari tomatoes on top of the mozzarella cheese.

You need a cast iron skillet...medium to large. Spray entire skillet 'bowl' with no stick spray [or non-stick, margarine, shortening, whatever is on hand], Place whole wheat pizza dough into skillet and spread evenly to the rim, covering the entire skillet. Add pizza [marinara] sauce...layer veggies, Parmesan cheese, and mushrooms onto the sauce, topping it all with low fat mozzarella cheese.

Place deep dish pizza into a HOT oven [450-475 degrees preheated].
Bake at high heat for 25 to 30 minutes [ovens vary...as does altitude], until outer crust is nicely browned...a deep browning is preferred by the two of us.
Take pizza out of oven, allow it to set for a few minutes...slice in quarters and serve with fruit and tossed salad.

One quarter pizza is serving size.
depending on your amount of ingredients, anywhere from 400 calories per quarter pizza.
18 grams of fat if olive oil is used
13 grams of protein
55 grams of carbs
sodium - anywhere from 500-750 mg, depending on what you add, or eliminate
4 grams of fiber
700 mg of sodium [depending on if you add salt, etc.]
all nutrition values listing is estimated only!!!


It was a fabulous dinner pizza, and not difficult to prepare at all!! It's even better reheated as a leftover!!



- - - * * * - - -



I found a new 'gizzy-witch' on my new camera, called "Bird Watching". Oh my...after yesterday and 200 photos on the camera card, I was wishing I hadn't found it! rofl. You see, I went a bit berserk on this mode. It takes five continuous photos of the subject you're aiming/focusing on. And if you take 40 stands, times 5...that's 200 photos on your card to view. My goodness. I will make sure I don't use that TOO often.



- - - * * * - - -


I'm wondering....just how many MORE will announce they're on the ballot for the presidential seat?



- - - * * * - - -

We were inundated with a heavy rainfall yesterday morning. Driving home from the island, and we couldn't see the front of our car. And having to contend with Texas-mania [the drivers who think that their SUVs won't crash at ANY speed, rain or shine] was scary. But once home, dry again, in the garage, we had a visitor---

92 comments :

  1. Those are some great pink cloud pictures, but the action at the beach is amazing! You captured it all very well, and I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're a bit of a storm chaser? Love the shots of the sunset in the storm clouds, like they're on fire! I hope the sea turtles survive ... what a great recovery operation. Glad you kept safe!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a hopeful venture....and a lot DO survive, only to be released to the wild sea in time...and then again, fate holds them in their right to survive.

      Delete
  3. So you're a bit of a storm chaser? Love the shots of the sunset in the storm clouds, like they're on fire! I hope the sea turtles survive ... what a great recovery operation. Glad you kept safe!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I guess I am in a way...I'm always curious when a storm hits our coastline.

      Delete
  4. Some wild weather there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, your cloud captures are beautiful! And the waves crashing are an awesome sight to see. I hope the turtles survive. Looking forward to seeing some more of your 200 bird photos. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Eileen. Have a happy weekend too.

      Delete
  6. Love the clouds and laughing seagulls Anni. And the lizard is cute. Have a great weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jo...Have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  7. My skywatch photo is a T.S. Bill shot, too. We got 5 inches of rain in 24 hours. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storms like Bill can create such havoc...AND beauty. Loved your cotton candy sky.

      Delete
  8. Great photos of the stormy weather and I love the lizard shot too. I'd love that birdwatching setting on my camera as I always miss the best shots as the camera is slow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your camera a Nikon then? I swear, if I'd known how many photos I was taking yesterday I woulda gone back to 'regular' shooting. lol

      Delete
  9. Gosh the storm sure made for some dramatic photos didn't it!! The sunsets are very beautiful. I have a similar mode on my camera, you can very quickly end up with lots of pictures, but if you are trying to capture something that is moving it is great! Thank you so much for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy....thanks for hosting, and stopping by.
      Have a great weekend to you too.

      Delete
  10. Oh, WOW! I do love your stormy weather shots, too!! So dramatic and awesome, Anni!!! And, of course, the sunsets are incredible as always! Your posts are always a great way to start my day!! Hope you have a beautiful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you take time to stop by and visit Sylvia...thanks. Have a beautiful weekend yourself.

      Delete
  11. we have many of those visitors in our garage and even one in the house that so far we have not been able to catch. i love your wave photos... so beautiful... looks like Bill dumped his water on Texas and headed North to Chicago... and all points in between.. the sky is always stunning before and after a storm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found one in our clothes dryer once.

      Hope not too many areas were flooded by Bill.

      Delete
  12. You certainly captured some beautiful photos, quite dramatic skies. Fingers crossed the turtles will survive. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they will survive if found quickly enough...as long as they get the warmth they need.

      Delete
  13. Those are some interesting clouds. Strange how the pink stayed isolated to one area. Neat though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too....only the west side was pink....musta been different wind currents or something. Who knows.

      Delete
  14. Your storm photos are amazing! The water is frightening in its power but so beautiful! Our cats love chasing lizards and sometimes bring one in to see us. We always try to catch and release!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud usually sweeps 'em outdoors if they decide to come in. I found one in our clothes dryer once. After scaring me, I picked up the clothes and dropped 'em outdoors...rewashed 'em and the lizard was freed. lol

      Delete
  15. Those clouds shots are amazing.WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed it Ruth.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful cloud formations...I love watching a storm roll in. The pizza sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good...and me being me...the lack of pepperoni wasn't that disheartening. LOL

      Delete
  17. Hello dear friend. Thx for the delicious pizza recipe. I certainly enjoyed your amazing cloud photos too. I wish you a nice evening and a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great evening yourself and a special weekend upcoming!!

      Delete
  18. The photos of clouds are just stunning!
    I've never made pizza but now you've given me courage to try! Yours sounds scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite easy to prepare

      Delete
  19. Humm I can smell the beach air from here just looking and reading here. I like the little guy that came to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do love the salty air. And the lizard made itself at home.

      Delete
  20. Hi Anni ...boy Bill has packed a punch that Texas did not need. I bet you saw some pretty shells after the storm. One thing about aging is change...good for you finding a new love in your new pizza recipe.
    Hugs and Happy Father's day to Bud
    Madi and cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many shells, I've not looked for them in way too long.
      Yes, that pizza was delicious M&M.

      Delete
  21. The storm and beach photos are amazing, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....truly...VERY atmospheric.

      Delete
  22. Lot's going on, Anni! So glad you guys are safe. Bill was a bit of a non-event for us here north of SA, although we have gotten some rain, but not all what was predicted. Your images are great! Sea heart bean? I will have to google that one! Hope the turtles fare well and your little friend looks like he's shedding some skin - neat! Glad you're finding new, healthy foods to enjoy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a legend about finding one of these 'sea hearts'....good luck, or something like that comes your way.

      Delete
  23. The clouds look like they are on fire. I don't watch the news at all so didn't know anything about a tropical storm. Never heard of a sea heart bean. Hope the turtles will hatch and thrive. We've got geckos all over the place right now. There are eggs right outside my kitchen window but don't think they are going to hatch though I've seen some other babies running around out there. Have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gecko eggs?!! I've never seen something like that. The little ones are so cute tho.

      Thanks Tammy.

      Delete
  24. You are so right...STUNNING skies! Sorry about the Tropical Storm... I was wondering how well the areas of Texas had been faring through it all. I am glad they are removing the turtle eggs to protect them. Sounds like an interesting recipe! And my camera is supposed to take several photos like that but I've never tried to use the feature. I should though. I know there's stuff I miss by waiting between shots like my camera does. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you miss some that way, but I look at it this way...there are always other shots to come that may be MUCH better.

      Delete
  25. Those are amazing sky shots!
    What a storm. It's pretty cool that they move those turtle eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the PINS just released their first group of hatchlings yesterday!! It's a bittersweet event...

      Delete
  26. What a great post and I thank you for the tasty recipe!!! Seems like there are lots of the 'ugly' lizards around this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...lizards and warm rains go together, right? LOL

      Delete
  27. Beautiful sky and that looks like some mighty strong winds there. That pizza looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the winds weren't bad while walking....just the aftermath of Bill moving through. And that pizza WAS good. ;o)

      Delete
  28. Hi Anni, thanks for linking up your cute lizard. Great shots. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU dear Eileen, for hosting.

      Delete
  29. Not sure I'd want to come across a lizard like that. Nor, TS Bill, either. Glad things weren't too bad as a result, but boy, have you all been getting rain! My word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....lots o' rain this season....but after 5 years of drought, this is a god send. As long as no more lives are lost.

      Delete
  30. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the world. I was going to reply by email but seems you are a no-reply comment blogger. The Mollie Makes actually came with a dreamcatcher kit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Tammy, I'm gonna have to check for that item.

      Delete
  31. Beautiful photos of the waves and the gulls. The lizard is cute. Have a great weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend Gunilla....
      And thanks...but, I'm not sure I'd agree with a lizard being 'cute' tho. lol

      Delete
  32. What a cute little visitor! Your cloud and ocean spray photos are just stunning! Hope you have a nice weekend, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh that's fire with a lot of white smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...always makes me think of an active volcano.

      Delete
  34. cute lizard! lots of clouds and rains and more rains this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about your area of Texas, but down here, it's VERY humid.

      Delete
  35. Awesome shots of the approaching storm. Looks like the ea gulls really clean up afterwards. Like your lizard critter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the gulls were in a feeding frenzy!!!

      Delete
  36. Wowser... My stormy skies were nothing compared to yours! Oh my. I hope that is the closest call you have this season. (Also hope we don't get any here , even tho well be gone soon.). I'd love to still have a cottage when we come back to Florida next season! LOL. It was most interesting seeing how they save the turtle nests ... Good to know about. Thanks for hosting the birding meme over at your other spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long to you live in FLA? Six months?

      Delete
    2. We will have been here seven months this time. Last year it was way less since we spent the summer in Alaska. It varies. This will be the longest time we've spent here.

      Delete
    3. Awwww, I understand. It's kinda live here, live there...travel...enjoy life with no 'real' plans. Way to enjoy life.

      Delete
  37. My word. Those seas look really rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually, it's been worse...but ya, it was a bit turbulent.

      Delete
  38. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your post from many different angles.
    The photos are great.
    I've been making a similar zucchini dish for several years and am looking forward to this year's crop.
    And . . . If my camera does something similar. Maybe I better not check into it ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud wanted me to make him the pizza again for Father's Day. I did. LOL

      Delete
  39. Lovely sky shots. I've been to south part of South Padre Island, only.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you should come to our area....it's pretty in such a beautiful, non-inhabitated area for the most part. Altho, it IS building up some. Luckily, we have the National Seashore which is Federal Land and no building up here!! Good.

      Delete
  40. We got the remnants of TS Bill up here in Oklahoma. Lots of floods and such. When I lived in Victoria I used to drive down to North Padre. It was very open and one could drive on the beach. Lots of fun. South Padre is fun also, but of a completely different kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cared for South Padre Island much....our area is much more uninhabited, I like that part.

      Delete
  41. Not at all good to experience, I'm sure, but Bill certainly made for some excellent weather shots. The sunset in the cloud images are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I wish I could take credit for the beauty, but nope...I just recorded it.

      Delete
  42. Amazing. I live in England, almost as far inland as it is possible to be, and this is one of the reasons I love Blogland: the window into other parts of the world where the terrain, the climate, the fauna is so different. Thanks, Anni. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for visiting. Glad to read that you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  43. Love the beautiful colors in those clouds! Neat to see the ocean shots as well. It's hard to go wrong with pizza; I'm glad you found a healthy recipe you can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Stunning photo's it looks like quite a strom, just saw on the weather today ex strom Bill is headed toward us here in th UK in the next day or so. Thanks for stopping by my blog
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Clare, for coming over to Hootin' Anni's to sit a spell with me.

      Delete
  45. wow that is some high seas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rough, but not too bad. I've seen it much worse.

      Delete

.