MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Seagull Sunrise [or Toilet Paper - What a Rip-off!]

All this past weekend, we have been kept busy trying to finish the hall bathroom.  But first, a bit of photography around our neck of the woods...

Last week I showed you the first blossom of my epiphyllum and mentioned there were other buds forming.  It bloomed a 2nd time the next evening, and the first blossom had closed and withered the previous afternoon...thought I'd show you 'both'. And, at Charlie's Pasture North, in Port Aransas, where Bud and I go birding often during Spring Migration, a 'century plant' in bloom!!! The century plant, a tall agave plant once thought to bloom every 100 years. Although it doesn’t actually take 100 years for a century plant to bloom, it is still a rare sight, only flowering once about every 10 to 30 years, according to Horticulture Unlimited’s website. Adding to its unique nature, the plant dies off shortly after it blooms, but not to worry, it reproduces by having 'runner' plants at its root base. There were a lot of these we had in the Sonoran Desert area of Tucson, Arizona. When the blossom forms, the height is phenomenal...may reach a total height of up to 25–30 ft (8–9 m).




...At the Marina, downtown:


One of my favorite drives in the city is along Shoreline/Ocean Drive that twists and winds along the shore of the Gulf. Sometimes you can see the whitecapped waves lapping against the shore, other times the manicured yards and small parks are what is visible, while yet at some curve you can see the skyline of the city buildings and the marina ahead, walking the boardwalks and along the seawall with the yacht clubs [seeing the yacht's masts in the distance as you drive there along the sparkling sea...only to see birds galore such as the Herring Gull shown above in the three images, close up and personal!!] Also, there is an abundance of different fencing finishes here and there! Today, I show you an entryway made of brick with wrought iron gates into a private yard along the coastal side of the street. I've often dreamed of having a 'million dollar home' such as these along the shore built on one of the empty lots along this area, but then again...pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe a cool million, to have a view off my deck would be a nightmare if a hurricane such as Katrina hit my home. No insurance would cover my loss of a lifestyle!!! I'd rather just have my dream house...

Ocean Drive
Corpus Christi, Texas
From the street view, you see this entryway.
From the back yard, the view is the Gulf of Mexico



* * *

Seagull Sunrise...

One morning this past week, I happened to see the beautiful cloud formations in the sky and then noticed there was a lot of seagull activity!!  I love watching their graceful flight and listen to their calling either close by or from a far distance.  Sometimes seagull songs make me feel lonesome, even when people are near and a crowd....like a distant train whistle.  Anyway, the sky was active with the birds and the clouds were big, puffy and beginning to glow with the sun as it rose up in the east.  My cellphone camera caught the colors, the beauty, and just about every 'frame' has at least ONE seagull. There is a seagull in the photo to the left that is 'in the tree'...looking like a leaf as it makes itself visible.   Hence, a seagull sunrise:


At one point the clouds resembled the smoke arising from an active volcano!!



...toilet paper, what a rip off!

Last week, it was tearing down the wallpaper and scrubbing the residue of the glue on the walls, patching nail holes, and Bud making a light fixture frame above the vanity mirror. Saturday morning, early, I opened the can of paint and began covering the walls with Mediterranean Deep...a darker blue color of paint. By midday the 2nd coat of paint was drying and around 4 pm, everything was rearranged on the walls: pictures, knickknacks, and figurines were up. Except for buying a new shower curtain ensemble and matching throw rugs [found some after I composed this post!], we were done!!! The room went from black and gold to a rich medium dark blue.

. We kept our Oriental theme since Bud has quite a collection from his Navy Days. And the very large, standing Buddha has been a part of our life together since I bought this for him in 1968.   I also mentioned that Bud made a new wooden frame to surround the vanity light...the two Chinese Symbols he added to the center frame are zodiac symbols of the Tiger and the Ox [our two birthday symbols]. Tiger on the top, the Ox on the bottom.

Here are a couple before shots:


...some after shots:




82 comments :

  1. Hello Anni, your flower is just gorgeous. I love the closeups of the gull and the sky shots are beautiful. Happy Monday, have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sky and gull pictures are really great, Anni. And I love your makeover with all those wonderful buddhas, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni, when you post pictures of the seagulls and the water, it makes me very homesick for the beach. I'm not usually much of a beach bum, but I can almost smell the salt in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the beaches aren't all that pretty right now because of Bill passing over.

      Delete
  4. What lovely photos, Anni...especially of those gulls...great close-up shots and the sunrise is just gorgeous! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the blue in your NEW bathroom.. and the gull pics are fantastic, so detailed. the sky is amazing and the first time i saw the century plant blooming i was amazed. we found not one but 8 of them all with the sky high blooms in the preserve at Emerson. i had never seen one bloom. had to come home and research them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're amazing plants.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous sunrise photos! And I love your seagull photos too.

    Congratulations on finishing your bathroom. The closest Joe and I ever came to divorce was about 20 years ago during a bathroom renovation involving wallpaper. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud usually walks out on me [from the room that is] when I start to tell him he's doing it all wrong. rofl

      Delete
  7. Beautiful series Anni, I love your new bathroom and your flower and bird photos! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for hosting I heart macro Laura.

      Delete
  8. OH ANNI WHAT A WONDERFUL POST SO MANY THINGS OF INTEREST. THE CLOUD PHOTOS ARE AWE INSPIRING.
    YOU AND BUD STAY BUSY. YOU MUST HAVE FOUND A WAY TO ADD EXTRA HOURS TO DAY!!
    HUGS CECILIA AND MADI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've always been the sort that has to be 'doing something'. Poor Bud, sometimes all he wants to do is rest. But, nope...can't around Anni. rofl.

      Thanks M&M

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a great post. So much to see. Love the gull shots and the beautiful sky. Your bathroom looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog makes me feel like I'm at the coast. I always thought if I lived there I would wear nothing but jeans and tee shirts and have my hair cut like a boy. Well the way boys used to wear their hair, short, short. It's fun the way people decorate their bathrooms according to their likes or lifestyle. Ours is all tractors and farm scenes. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is always short here in Texas....it's gotta be 'cause of the humidity. LOL
      And jeans...that is MY style. I can so relate.

      Delete
  11. I do love your incredible sunrise shots and the captures of the gull are fantastic!! So much to see indeed and I enjoyed it all!! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great new week, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seagulls. We have a pair we called Sid and Floppy, floppy as she has a short leg. We have been throwing out a small amount of dog food for these seagulls each day for years and they now come quite close to the house. They are magnificent birds and so intelligent.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I too love watching and listening to the gulls.
      Thanks for the visit Briony.

      Delete
  13. Your 'new' bathroom is gorgeous! Where would someone look first?! Lovely. Your photos, and especially those with the clouds and sunbursts are beyond beautiful. Wow, Anni. Just amazing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the kind remarks Terri.

      Delete
  14. Awesome close ups of the gull. Love the blue you painted your bathroom. I have lights like that in my bathroom and I really like the way Bud framed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the seagull shots and the majestic sky shots!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great close up of the gull!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful beautiful sky photos, Annie! And when I got to the word epiphylum, it stopped me dead in my tracks. I had one of those. My cousin gave it to me last year and it was doing great. And now I'm wondering where on earth that plant is! I don't know how one can lose an EO, but I guess it's possible. I guess the most likely is that I took it out during the summer and totally forgot to bring it in in the fall. :-(
    Sorry. Anyway, great photos. I hope you have a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Judy. Yep, they should be taken in for the winter to be sure.

      Delete
  18. An all ecompassing post. I love it. I love the big ole expensive houses on the sea shore but I don't want to own one. I just wish that I had a wealthy friend who had one who invited me over a lot. I'd go over and take advantage of his hospitality and leave before the mortgage gets paid.

    I love all your cloud shots.

    Great work on the bathroom. You are so generous with Bud. Heather hates everything I've collected over time. Now I don't have anything near as nice as Bud has either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping Bud happy has always been a goal of mine. LOL [not always tho...lol]

      Thanks Yogi.

      Delete
  19. Fabulous photos of the gulls. They're handsome birds. Enjoy your week, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you had a super week too Gunilla

      Delete
  20. I don't know where to start because you have such a variety of wonderful happenings, photos, and information. You beat me to the Agave though. The one I'm photographing every few days to show its development is just about to bloom! It is only 4-5 years old according to the owner. AND...Bud's oriental collection is magnificent. Such an interesting and informative post you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing closeups of the gull Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Adam. Means so much to me, you being an avid birder.

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous flower shots. and wonderful close ups of the gulls

    ReplyDelete
  23. That flower is so PRETTY! and the Gull, well what can you say, they just make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love the blue! I used to have a room with a similar color, trimmed in white! Your sky shots are just stunning! And I love the flower, the gull, and of course the agave...have one to post of my own soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, having it trimmed in white would be so pretty!!!

      Delete
  25. What a jam packed post Anni... Beautiful house, but you never know what Mother Nature will throw your way.. Like the close-up of the gull and your house activities.. Have a wonderful weekend....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope I never have to replace my canal cottage, but yeah, it wouldn't be as terrible as if I had one of those zillion buck mansions. So that's why we don't buy one (LOL). Does that epiphyllum bloom at night or at least before the sun shines? It looks like what we have here and they call it night-blooming cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is another name for the plant here too.

      Delete
  27. So many interesting photos, I don't know what to comment! Love the birds flying in front of the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning bird and cloud captures especially the ones taken with your cell phone, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I might like to rent a cottage on the shore but OWN one, nope. Too expensive especially if it needed to be repaired after a bad storm. :) Lovely cloud shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ya, renting wouldn't be a bad idea. For a weekend. But renting seems to be such a waste of money if it's a yearly lease, etc.

      Thanks E G

      Delete
  30. Love those gulls - always something to photograph if you can see gulls (and I just realised that was almost a joke!)

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne (briefly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....cute play on words Stewart!!

      Delete
  31. Beautiful shots of the flower, bird and those skies with the seagulls are stunning. Your reno is aweseome. Love the decor and accents.
    Have a nice day. cm

    ReplyDelete
  32. WooHoo, I'm so happy you got out of the bathroom to take these lovely photos. Although renewing any room is fantastic too. The stunning house on Ocean Drive, how incredible. Enjoy your week, and especially this special weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen. And yes, Father's Day is always a special day.

      Delete
  33. i love asian art, too. :) the gull looks so smug. beautiful home but i'm with you - i'd not want the worries.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your SEAGULL SHOTS ARE SUPERB AND i LOVE THE SKY AND FENCE SHOTS AS WELL

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like that deep blue- it's pretty. Your sky shots are gorgeous and love the close up of the gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Enjoyed seeing your plant again and the Century plant. - Loved the Gull shots and the Seagull Sunrise, so pretty. That home has a lovely entrance and I bet a great view from that back yard. You've done a great job with the bathroom remodel. - I'm not much into Buddha but I do like your other Oriental art pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for Buddha...neither am I...but they're Bud's....and having him happy makes me happy. Thanks Ida.

      Delete
  37. What a beautiful seagull sunrise you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great close-ups of the gull. Your captures of the cloud formations are beautiful. I like your new bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I enjoyed reading your positive feedback!

      Delete
  39. The century plant sounds and looks very neat...and I love your captures of the clouds and gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just love your Seagull Sunrise photos. Such lovely colors. AND I adore your Buddhas! Especially the two small reddish ones that are sitting one on top of the other in the small cubby shelf. I have very similar ones that sit on my fireplace mantle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like this post Stacee

      Delete
  41. Hi Anni, that epiphyllum (?) is beautiful and so is your seagull sunrise. what a blessing to have witnessed it.

    love your seagull images too.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great shots. Interesting group. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

.