“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Here and Around Town...



What's been happenin' in the hood lately? Not much.
We've had a few rainy times, some windy times, and gray skies intermingled with partly cloudy/partly sunny times. The humidity is high. But, we both go out in the morning to do some walking. Usually we drive to a city hiking trail and enjoy the people and the wildlife that way also.

Places we've ended up are our norm...

One day, the jetty and the gulf.
Here, I enjoyed the company of a young guy who was more than willing to have his picture taken of what he snagged at the end of his fishing line!! Ready? Well, wait, here is a bit of our conversation:

Me: "Did you just catch that?"
He: "Ya. I want to catch a sting ray now after this!"
Me: "Seriously? Okay...did this fish give you any big fight?"
He: "No, it was easy reelin' 'im in!"
Me: "Can I take a picture of you with your catch?"
He standing up and showing his fish Great White off....


Bud and I went home and watched "JAWS"
Me: "We need a bigger boat!"

- - - * * * - - -

Another day in the week...

The two of us watched Jurrasic World this week, also. Bah. Same ol' same ol'. Just different people. Same outcome....young kids at the dinosaur park, leaving to go off by themselves, oh oh...running into some monstrous killers on the loose...here comes a macho man and a googly-eyed aunt who reminded me a bit of Jill St. John from decades ago...anyway, the two save the day. End of story. Blah, blah, blah. This following image, tho, is as close as I could get to the DNA of the jurrasic creatures of the world according to Mr. Jaffa. Oh and another thing that just irks me...everything in Hollywood has to be politically correct any more and it's so darned obvious....you have each of the human race, black, white, asian, latin [mexican or spanish], female/male lead, disabled [even if they have to use a 'token' extra in the background]....all in one movie. Continually. I guess it's all to try and keep each race happy and not suing. What happened to a good, entertaining story line of yesteryear? Okay...'nough of my running of the mouth, here is my Jurrasic. I call it Jurrasic on a Fence:




- - - * * * - - -

Third time's a charm?  This was another day...

What started off as a typical day driving again to the islands to walk. This time along the Charlie's Pasture North [a raised boardwalk along the salt flats that has many, many fresh water ponds scattered for a couple of miles to each side of the trail]. I noticed a couple of guys coming toward me, and I also noticed a bird cage in one of the guys' hand. Another conversation ensued.

Me: "You two are going to band some birds?"
Guy: "Yep, Wilson Plovers."
Okay, this gave the light bulb in my brain a work out!
Me: "I recently found and photographed a Wilson's Plover in this area that had been banded. And I sent the photo off to the Banded Birds Website in hopes of finding the bird's origin. The bird I found was tagged and banded at Charlie's Pasture North...was that you who sent me the information?"
Guy: "I'm Dave."
Me: "That WAS you then, I'm sure."
Me: "Okay, then...good luck. I just saw two Wilson's about 50 yards back."
Guy: "We'll try and catch 'em and get 'em on record then. Thanks."

After we got back to the park's cotillion, I scouted the men out far away from us now about 1/2 mile, and snapped their photo with the zoom and NO tripod. I was happy that the photo came out somewhat clear...

Me to you: "Notice the black and white bird between Dave's Legs as he steps? That's a Black Necked Stilt."



- - - * * * - - -

Later that day, after stopping at another birding refuge, where I practiced with my camera's personality a bit. I spied a Snowy Egret way off in the distance. I wanted to test the new "Bird Watching" mode on the camera, so I focused on the egret and pushed the shutter button down. Automatically it takes 5-7 images in sequence without continually pushing the button manually! Awesome. At least I thought so. Until I got home and uploaded the egret images onto my computer. I was in for a surprise and some more chit chat. This time with Bud:

Me: "Wait 'til you see what the camera's zoom picked up."
Bud: "Okay, I'll be there in a sec."
Me: "Remember the egret far off in the distance at Leonabelle's Refuge? Where I decided to practice on the Bird Watching mode?"
Bud: "Ya."
Me: "To my surprise, I picked up something that I just KNOW you'll like."
Bud: "What, you saw the alligator in the water somewhere in the vicinity?"
Me: "No. Wait for it...." "Wait for it...."

I clicked on the Window's preview and let 'er rip...

And 'rip it did!'

Me to you: "I swear...if I'd only known what was 'laying in store', I would have stopped the action!! And, if you ever have visited my bird photo blog recently, I posted an image of a bird image smeared on the boardwalk. Honest, I'm not obsessed like you may think. But, I'm married to a man who can stand at the cat litter box and watch THAT action and the look on his face shows enjoyment. Good gravy...are ALL men that way? After living with him for nearly 50 years, I begin to notice these things of all things!! Wait for it....wait for it"


The reaction I got from Bud was just what I expected.
It made his day.


- - - * * * - - -

Cleaning up my act...
Okay, so after that photo 'phiasco', I'm thinking I should probably clean up my act a bit. So, here is what I share:

I had a challenge this weekend. Since we had been working on the hall bathroom with wallpaper tearing down and then repainting the walls and changing color schemes, we both showered in the master-bath each night. The tub/shower was so clean compared to the tub flooring in the hall bath. I scrubbed it with Ajax...wouldn't even budge the soap scum!! Tried Bath and Tile spray...nada!! So, off I go online and typed in 'how do I get soap scum and grime off the bottom of my shower stall?" Of course there were different answers for different finishes. I read this one and it made sense!! Tried it....and I could kiss the feet of this blogger who suggested it. It worked like a charm!!! After all, what is shampoo supposed to do? Yep, get rid of the oil in your hair...made sense, and I have found a new way to keep it clean. Inexpensive too, compared to all the shelf products in a store.

Shampoo and Vinegar!!
I again have TWO clean shower/tub stalls now.

:mix half and half shampoo and vinegar...wipe on the porcelain finish...wait thirty minutes and clean with a non-abrasive scrubbie. Awesome:

84 comments :

  1. or spray the shower with peroxide and let it sit for 10 minutes... i just started using peroxide to clean everything in the house because of scent allergies... shampoo and vinegar, would never of thought of that. we had a clogged drain in bob's sink yesterday and used baking soda and vinegar and voila it worked.
    that last photo of the egret is beyond hilarious.... never seen that before.. although i know it happens. i like the shot of the taggers... and the shark fisherman. I prefer the push the button as fast as i can over the continuous shoot, and i can't stand taking photos with my little point and shoot because it will not LET me push that button quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peroxide burns my skin. Ya, I have funny, odd, skin.

      Delete
  2. Very funny catch with your egret series! LOL Interesting that you met up with the men who tagged the bird you spotted! Good hint on the bathroom cleaning solution! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really made the task easy too. I like easy.
      Thanks Terri...glad you laughed a bit at the comical captures. lol

      Delete
  3. Wow Anni, is that a baby shark the boy is holding? You never know what is swimming in the water with you..The reason why I do not swim in the ocean. LOL, neat capture of the Stilt! I had a good laugh over the egret photos, a funny capture. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I can't swim...so I only wade. But, now I'm not so sure I'd want to even attempt wading.

      Delete
  4. Anni what a great post of 3's! OMCs you met Dave too. I know you were doing a dignified happy dance after that. You just never know who you are talking too.
    We were in line years ago at Disney World. Behind us was Tony Orlando ( minus Dawn) with his family.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the Dawn will come sooner or later. [couldn't help myself M&M]

      Delete
  5. What a fun filled post. The young fisherman had quite a catch there. I can't help laughing at the egret sequence. My mouth just about dropped to the floor before I started laughing.
    Oh and by the way, if you send me a pic of that weed you're having trouble with, I'll gladly pull it up for you.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. A post filled with a little bit of everything, and ending with cleaning tips! I sure enjoyed it, Anni, even the piss (that is what it is, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that's what it is/was.
      I was compelled to clean it up a bit after the shooter.

      Delete
  7. Some great photos - that last was a spectacular shot, even if it was a bit scary ;o) LOVE the shower tip (I plan to use it this very day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "shot" is an apropos expression...'cause it really WAS an accurate shot I guess. LOL

      Delete
  8. thanks for the cleaning tip! love the jurassic fence. :) the shooter-poo was entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I 'aim' to please, I guess.

      Delete
  9. Funny post today and helpful too. Wish I didn't have a doctor appointment I could try your cleaning tip. I always use soda, vinegar and followed by boiling water to clean my drains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could apply the 'mix' and then when you return from your Dr.s appt....wipe it off!!

      Good luck with your appointment by the way.

      Delete
  10. You've been quite chatty lately.

    I've never seen a bird relieving itself. Ever. You have some groundbreaking material going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...being chatty...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

      Delete
  11. What a great, fun way to start my new day and new week, Anni!!! I've never seen a bird relieving itself either!! Thanks for the giggles!! Hope you have a wonderful day, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping it would be 'funny'. For some at least. Never know tho.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the chuckle (egret shots)!

    To answer your question about Hunter Pence - yes he plays for the SF Giants, but on the disabled list at the moment. He is well loved in San Francisco and rightfully so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, he always was a favorite for me....too bad about his being on the DL tho!!

      Delete
  13. Great shutter speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...just glad it was at a distance.

      Delete
  14. How neat that you ran into Dave! I love your photos and Buds favorite made me smile!
    Thanks for the tip - makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plovers...hmmm. Not my favourite bird...not the ones we have here anyway. During nesting season they're damned vicious. They lay their eggs out in the open, well camouflaged of course. The thing is, you don't know they're there until said plovers swoop out of nowhere, chittering madly and try to get one's face with their spurred wings.

    How funny are those photos of the snowy egret! Timed at just the right moment...or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had that experience with Plovers...but then again, as far as I know, I've never been close when it's nesting season for them either. Interesting characteristics tho.

      Delete
  16. Anni you tell a great tale and i felt almost with you meeting the young angler and those birders along the boardwalk.

    I do so agree with you about today's Politically Correct World and if it's any comfort to you it is just as bad or possibly worse in the UK. It's like no one is actually allowed to hold a different opinion any more.

    The egret pictures are just so funny - action photography at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...gives a whole new meaning to 'action photography'. LOL

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed that post Anni. From the baby shark to the Jurrasic critter on the fence. Oh and of course not forgetting the shooting Egret. Great timing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this Adam....I'm not sure about the timing tho. If I'd only known ahead of 'time'.

      Delete
  18. What great shots of the birds and lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Anni, I like the picture of "yaws" and your
    "Jurrasic" also :)
    But I just LOVE the series of the Egret :D :D :D
    Oh, and thanks for the recipe for a shower cleaner,
    I'll give it a try :))

    Have a beautiful day
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  20. That egret photo is too funny. I love continuous shooting mode on my camera for just that reason - you never know what you might capture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I'm not sure I'd like to 'encounter' this action very often. lol

      Delete
  21. We have a Great Blue Heron that visits our cabin deck once in a while when we are gone. How do I know? The huge grayish white puddle left on the wood deck. Now I know why it is so big! - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big birds...big droppings. lol

      Delete
  22. Shampoo and vinegar! What a great idea. Love the birds , a little worried about the shark fisherman, jeez! Movie sounds boring but I applaud the diversity. That is how my family looks. And my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's not the diversity that bothers me...it's the blatant political correctness you see so much of these days. It's like Phil said..."You can't have a difference of opinion anymore".

      Delete
  23. HI Anni Lovely series onthe Egret doing his ablushions!!! well times and funny. That is a good tip on the shower tray cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed this Margaret.

      Delete
  24. Annie, this post left me smiling! My grandsons are going to be quite interested in your egret series. We had a long discussion this winter about how birds pee and poop. Also, I often use vinegar for cleaning because of my formaldehyde allergy (cannot use harsh products). I'll have to try it with a little shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, that proves it. It's in a boy's genes. LOL

      I will use vinegar more often now that I realize what a great cleaning 'implement' it is.

      Delete
  25. Vinegar and shampoo....have to try that. It's amazing what you can capture with your telephoto lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way Pat...happy anniversary!!

      Delete
  26. Your post was a hoot, thank you very much. I had no idea birds uhm, urinated that way. I only know tiny pellets from parakeets. I have to show the Husband your post. He's going to enjoy it as much as me. I've used a concoction of vinegar and baking soda on the bathroom grout. That stuff works, too.
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar and baking soda...yep, I've used that to clean drains and remove nasty odors.

      Delete
  27. This was such a fun read! Interesting conversations all the way and then that egret surprise! :-) Glad you helped out those bird banders. I hope that kid threw that shark back in! If you aren't going to eat it...don't keep it! Oh, thank you for that great advice about cleaning the soap scum off showers! I will definitely try it! Glad your bad weather is past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the rainy season has lifted somewhat, but now it's extremely humid. Can't wait for Autumn. lol

      Delete
  28. Everyone must answer Natures' Call.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really love your Jurassic fence Anni!!! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed reading this, and I was just telling Roger today that all movies any more have to make a political statement.

    Roger would have laughed at the egret shots....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...it's disheartening most times that the producers/directors/writers have no idea how to entertain us these days...as long as the political views come forth, the story doesn't matter.

      Roger and Bud...two of a kind then. LOL

      Delete
  31. Great post. Funny & informative, you got some great captures there even if you did get more than expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely more than expected. lol

      Delete
  32. Not sure I'd want to snag a shark of any age or size but the lad looks proud of his capture. I'll have to try the shampoo and vinegar trick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's definitely worth the mixture....it works!!

      Delete
  33. ha, love your jurrasic fence! what's with the sharks this summer? seems like more shark attacks than normal this year...scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Tanya.
      I've read about the shark attacks. It always IS scary.

      Delete
  34. And I though the geese poop was messy ... that Egret could fill my whole sidewalk with one shot. At least we know he is eating well. Ha! That's the beauty of the continuous shot. It happens so fast it is always full of surprises. I won't comment on the fact that your husband gets a thrill out of this activity ... must be a male thing. I am quite certain I don't know any females that see anything but a mess to clean up :) I am glad to see you are doing so much waling ... good for the heart and wonderful for your blog posts. As for cleaning my shower ... I don't get soap scum on my shower floor, but the glass enclosure is a "B" to clean. I will give your formula a try and let you know how it works on glass :) Love your Jurrasic fence ... hopefully that is a close as we ever get to the real thing and I have to agree the movie was blah! Fun post, Annie ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, and your kind, encouraging words...always!!!

      Delete
  35. Good morning, it's always enjoyable to see and read your interesting posts. But goodness, your fence post today is just adorable, he sure makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there are TWO on the fence Karen...did you miss one?

      Delete
  36. Not sure I could be happy about catching and holding in my hand a shark...eebie jeebies. You've had a few adventurous days, Anni and you got the SHOT at the end- too funny, cause men are exactly like that. Have a great weekend! I'm off to try your combo for the shower- maybe Sandra's too. I've tried everything and so far nothing works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I'm sure it'll work!! And ya, I too would be very leery with a shark in my hand, or ANYwhere nearby.

      Delete
  37. Loved this post. - Your Jurrasic Fence shot was great. Oh I saw the movie too. It was okay but pretty much as you said. The 1st was the best in my opinion.
    I got a huge chuckle from your Egret series, that was perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the first was the best...the others that follow the first is redundant.

      Delete
  38. Thanks for a fun post. I enjoyed the text as much as the photos. Love the Jurassic fence shot. I agree with you about the political correctness - don't get me going! Gotta love that continuous action button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, Pauline...you and I, it seems, could have quite a conversation!!!!

      Delete
  39. love your entertaining stories Anni. especially about the poo.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well, Anni, you never know what you will take in the way of pictures when animals are involved, do you? I recently zoomed in on the mama deer across the pond from me. Asked my feller, 'What's wrong with that deer?' She was all hunkered down. I thought maybe about to lie down. Nope, she was peeing. I deleted the picture off my computer, but not off my camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothin' wrong with getting that photo...it's all part of nature!!

      Delete
  41. That camera is great! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow jam-packed post. I like to see more of this country's diversity represented... But I don't go to see movies ever. I rent it if I want to see it. I use vinegar for many cleaning tasks..... Great disinfectant... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that it is....and I found out it works like a charm on soap scum.

      Delete

.