...way up high, in the sky!!
I'm sure a lot of you that visit here at Hootin' Anni's have visited Ms. T at The Run*Around*Ranch. Today, I would like to dedicate this post to her!! Each Wednesday, if you haven't already known, Ms. T shares her paddling of Whistlers; she titles her posts Whistler's On Wednesday. And she always shares the perfect personalities of these tree ducks!!! If ever a bird can be charming, these are the epitome of bird charm. They're pretty, comical at times, protective, colorful, quite docile, and nearly silent...unless you're lucky enough to hear them. They don't quack...they actually whistle. And it's a beautiful song.
Okay, so, over the weekend, during breaks from trimming the pyracantha [yes, again...it grows like a weed!!] and a couple of bougainvilleas, and the gardenia...I had my sketch pad out for idle times when Bud was loading the refuse for the city's collection day. Oh, and we also thought we hired someone to do a slab of sidewalk repair but he never showed up...Bud and I did some cement work too this past week. While breaking at times, I began to sketch a bird...yep, you guessed it...the BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK.
We don't have the privilege of having them as property residents but we do see them occasionally. Mostly, in town on the lake at the park or over on the islands, at Port Aransas.
I'll share my drawing and some of the photos taken from my camera---

...some photos of the Whistlers...






_*_*_*_*_*_
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
If now, I could grant my wish
I'd wish to have those wings
Those wings just like the birds
That fly up in the air
So high up in the air
With feathers bright and fair
No wealth nor power can make
My heart filled with such joy
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
I'd fly
with those wings....
WINGS TO FLY
recorded by Susan Boyle
The nice lady at Run Around Ranch gives us lots of entertainment and so do you Anni. Like your sketch.
ReplyDeleteAh, I do love those Whistlers and your sketch, Anni!! You are a talented lady indeed!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! You are a true artist! You are talented! I cannot even draw a stick man. You could illustrate for a bird guide book. I have never seen these ducks and I love the picture of the one with his bill open. Maybe he is whistling! I like their pink bill.
ReplyDeleteI must admit to being a little envious of both your and Theresa's photo captures of those funny and interesting whistlers. That is because I don't think I'll ever be able to see them first hand and would love to. Thank you both for sending me their pictures.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, the Whistling Ducks are my favorite. They are so darn cute! Great photos, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful birds! Your sketches always amaze me!
ReplyDeletethat's wonderful! i just knew it would be about whistlers. :) i've never drawn one. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, you are a fantastic artist, and your Whistlers are just adorable, as always Whistlers are! Lucky you, to have them.
ReplyDeleteGreat drawing, Anni! As always, I love your photos and descriptions.
ReplyDeleteYour sketch is wonderful, and I LOVE Tex's Wednesday's whistlers. They always make me smile.
ReplyDeleteLoved your shots of them, too.
What a gorgeous sketch Anni!! Such cute colourful ducks!
ReplyDeleteWhistlers look to be such fun ducks. I wish they lived further north!
ReplyDeleteFantastic sketches. What a talent you have there. Your pictures are always amazing too. No end to your talents.
ReplyDeleteLoved your sketch, and I see Ts ducks every Wednesday. They are colorful, and it's interesting how they are usually in a tight flock, lined up on a log or something.
ReplyDeleteMrs T's Whistlers are getting quite famous aren't they Anni. Now your featuring here too and just like you I must admit I've become quite a fan of their personalities and quirkiness.
ReplyDeleteAnd Susan Boyle! My you do have the best, best taste in singers Anni.
Those photos are great and your drawing is fabulous. I can't even sketch a simple cat skeleton :) You're so talented.
ReplyDeleteVery nice sketch! You are talented, Anni!
ReplyDeleteyour drawing is a mazing.. and i follow Ms T and you are right, those ducks can be clowns at times.. i love yours in flight...i had no idea you are and artist besides being a photographer.
ReplyDeleteSo enjoyed this post!! you are very talented and the birds are just beautiful!! I actually felt warm as I visited your blog. It is still frigid here and I wish I had a pyracantha to trim! Wishing you well!!! Cathy
ReplyDeleteI have grown to love those whistling ducks because of TexWisGirl. And your drawing is simply wonderful. You are so talented!! :-)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, photography and exquisite sketch!
ReplyDeleteHappy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
A gorgeous sketch! And your photos are wonderful! I really like those whistlers!
ReplyDeleteHandsome ducks with those big white eye rings, and I like your sketch.
ReplyDeleteYou and Theresa should have an art fest ... you are both talented artists and seem to enjoy the same kind of nature art. This is lovely Annie and the song lyrics are perfect. Now I have to add to my bucket list the opportunity to hear the Whistling ducks whistle ... I am sure it is amazing. Lucky you to have heard it ...
ReplyDeleteAndrea @ From The Sol
A wonderful sketch! Teresa always shares the best photos of her birds!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love your sketch... and Whistlers on Wednesdays makes my Wednesdays brighter.
ReplyDeleteYou just made my Monday brighter as well!
Love your sketch. I've never heard of this kind of duck. Makes me curious to hear them.
ReplyDeleteVery nice! I've never been able to sketch.
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots and sketches!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) Nice shots of the Whistlers, and a generous post, with a lovely sketch of the Whistlers too. I don't know the song, sung by Susn Boyle but the lyrics are lovely.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. I wish we had them where I live.
ReplyDeleteAnni I have never heard of seen these ducks, but they are stunning as is your picture of them.
ReplyDeleteI love your sketch, Anni! Beautiful job.
ReplyDeleteAnni what gorgeous photos and sketches....no outside wandering here.
ReplyDeleteIt started snowing at 6:30 am...they said a dusting...it has been steadily dusting since then probably about 2.5" and cold too
Hugs madi and mom
Love these duck and lovely one to use as subject for painting.
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots and artwork.
ReplyDeleteWonderful artwork, Anni!
ReplyDeleteI'm enamored of Whistlers since meeting them on Theresa's blog. Your drawing is wonderful! I can't even imagine all the things you already have growing and blooming!
ReplyDeleteThis is a new duck for me and a new blog to visit. CUTE duck and your drawing is so good. Thank you for linking in Anni.....Michelle
ReplyDeleteThe drawing is really great.
ReplyDeleteThe Whistlers captured perfectly, my compliments.
What great sketches. I have yet to make the acquaintance of these interesting sounding ducks.
ReplyDeleteI have always loved her blog!! We've been blogging friends for over two years. Those whistlers always make my day :)
ReplyDeleteGreat sketch and photos, Anni! They are such interesting sucks, and I had never even heard of them till Theresa started posting her "family" of them on her blog. :-)
ReplyDelete