“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






I'm thinking...

Willy Nilly Five Six, Seven, or Eight  this week, has me thinking.  And I'm in high gear, the wheels are turning, churning, and ready to burst in thoughts...

...thinking the saying goes "Opposites attract". Not only in the magnetic fields but Bud and I. Yes, we will be celebrating our 47th year in wedded bliss this May, but we truly can provide clear evidence the old adage holds true to the two of us--
-Bud loves coffee, I detest the taste!
-Bud loves extreme heat...I'd much prefer the cooler temps!
-I like a dark room, Bud has to have every light on in the house!
-His preference is sweet tastes, I'd prefer tart!
-While I have to have my red meat cooked medium rare, he has to have his charred to the point it's LEATHER.

...thinking there are more important news coverage stories than Bruce Jenner's accident and Kate Middleton's 'baby bump'!! It's like a rag mag these days...a gossip column instead of anything worthy of 'print'!!


...thinking the book I finished a couple of weeks ago by Alice Hoffman [The Dovekeepers]: Tho, I enjoyed the book thoroughly, I am now wondering just how many times she has to tell us the character had flame red hair?!!! My goodness, are we stupid in her eyes? Then, on the other hand, I'm reading a new book I ordered and had delivered afterward. The new book is by Jerome Charyn, a first person novel entitled I AM ABRAHAM. Abraham Lincoln is regaling his life story from New Salem Illinois up and to---VERY Pleasant and fun read so far. All the book critics had 5 stars rating behind it. I am enjoying it.  So far, the author has Lincoln's character as a gentle giant...just as I have had him pictured in my mind long ago.  But, still cunning.

...thinking the Gulf Coast is gonna be in for a rough hurricane season. Such a hot summer last year, and now the cold, unusually cold winter?   We had frost warnings on Wednesday...it was 36 here on that day....in late February?   Beware. Anywhere from Monterey Mexico to Florida...we're gonna have several out there this coming season.

...thinking I gotta get a package ready for Sister's Day in 3 weeks and get it shipped soon.

...thinking  I haven't kept up with the pro baseball news.  Who is going to take Derek Jeter's spot on the Yankees' team as shortstop?  I'm gonna miss him for a long time.

...thinking this early evening sky over our house's chimney is mighty colorful!

...thinking how I should sum up the post...how 'bout SUM FUN? Or a challenge? Are you UP for it?...Let me begin by saying, more times than I want to count... when I upload the photos to the computer from the camera's card, A LOT of the photos are either blurred, something I spy in the photo that I didn't see when photographing a subject... or the subject is hidden beyond recognition!! Here are four of those...can you find the HIDDEN subject? You can enlarge them by clicking on smaller images----

Look!  Up in the sky...it's a bird, it's a plane...it's not Superman...it's a BIRD (vulture)
TWO Black Crowned Night Herons
Golden Fronted Woodpecker
Two Alligators...sunning


It's been a bit busy here the last week or two, so visitations from me may be a few days behind!!

36 comments :

  1. I Am Abraham sounds like a fascinating read! I spotted everything but the two alligators, only saw one at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sky is gorgeous! Is that flamingos? I love Alice Hoffman, but you did give me a good laugh about the flame red hair. Happy Anniversary! I want to know how you celebrated! When Phil and I met, we were total opposites in everything. It keeps things new and exciting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post as always, Anni! Lots of great info and fun and beauty!! Doesn't get any better!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful views Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe and I will be celebrating our 47th anniversary this year too! May 31, 1968 at Bible Baptist Church in Galveston, TX. I was 19 and Joe was 20 and thought we were all grown-up. He left in August for the Army.
    Beautiful photos as always. Love the sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool on the 47th anniversary coming up. The hurricanes are one reason why we may not live on the Gulf Coast any times soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abraham Lincoln is my favorite president. Maybe I'll read the book you mentioned sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of thinking! And a lovely sky over the rooftop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you think......

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a refreshing sight. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and the most important one's I didn't spot - the alligators, quite detrimental to my health, aaargh.

    And opposites keep life interesting. I think I'd be bored stiff in a week with someone who likes, does, eats, agrees with EVERYthing I do....

    Happy Weekend Anni, love that mighty fine evening sky of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post, Anni.. We are opposites here, I like the heat and hubby likes the cold. I hope you are safe from the hurricanes.. I think I would rather see Kate's baby bump than hear about the Kardashian family..The whole family is weird.. I spotted all the critters.. Have a happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read The Dovekeepers on your recommendation and enjoyed it. And yes, she did mention that hair color a few times too many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh, nick is the same as bud, has to have every single light on in the house...as soon as he leaves, i go around and turn them all off!! i enjoyed this post! thank you for linking and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your thinking post was funny. My mind seems to always be thinking but I have never expressed much in writing like this. It's a thought. Your evening sky is so pretty! And yes, I see your critters, but only one alligator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try not to think this much, it wears me out. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, that's a pretty sad prediction of weather to come on the coast! Yikes! I hope you are wrong about that. Thanks for sharing your week with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That truly is an amazing sky indeed. And I always love your bird pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always enjoy your posts...am ashamed to say i did not see the alligators...I thought you were talking about a blackbird on the far side in that last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Anni!:) Americo and I are opposites in almost everything, but it works just fine. We have been happily married for 56 years, and known each other for almost 60. I saw all the critters. It's amazing what you can see when editing. The little things you don't spot when you take the picture, sometimes help to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These lovely birds must be ever vigilant while resting....great shot!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, you've been doing a lot of thinking. I like this though. That is a pretty sky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI Anni A full and interesting post with lovely images of critters. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anni, Enjoyed your photos and comments. I'll bet you are right about the coming hurricane season! Remember that old saying ... extremes bring extremes? Have a good weekend. John

    ReplyDelete
  26. would love to see black-crowned some day. i think you're right about the upcoming storm season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you're wrong about the hurricane season...but I suspect you are correct. The weather has been so extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you're wrong about the hurricane season too, but I fear you may be right. Like the hidden pictures... Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. always love me pink skies.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Delightful post! Love your wonderful sky shot. Isn't it interesting how there are things hiding in our photos, sometimes. I'd be worried, if I was one of those birds, that there are two alligators in that one picture! :-) I Am Abraham sounds good! I am still reading The Tudors, given to me at Christmas by the kids. It's a long book, and very good. Really in-depth. After watching The Tudors series, it's interesting to make the comparisons between what really happened and what was in the series (they weren't far off most of the time!) I am anxious to get to a few of the books reviewed by our online book club. I have already purchased Lives in Ruins. Have been posting some older pictures of my past lately...a result of getting my new printer/scanner I am sure! :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will just sum up what I got from what I saw and read...you are just too much fun and I love my visits to your part of the world so much. Happy week Anni~

    ReplyDelete
  32. I Am Abraham sounds like my kind of book. I'll keep an eye out for it. Beware of too much thinking, Anni, you might wear your brain out! Have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Anniversary! God bless for many, many more! Fun post! Just had some time to read blogs again!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm Jerome Charyn's partner and admin on our FB page for I Am Abraham: Lincoln and the Civil War. I passed your nice comments on to the author (he previously wrote The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson.) Those who wish to read it should write me - we have several giveaway copies since the novel is featured in the Morgan Library's new exhibition "Lincoln Speaks." Lenore at JCPress@writemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Anniversary and congrats on 47 years of marriage! With the two of you liking opposite things, at least one of you should be happy at any one time--so you make for a good team!

    I'm with you on exasperation with the "news." I used to read Yahoo News, but became so tired of all the non-news, that I decided to boycott it. Reading your wonderful blog, and all the blogs of my sweet blogging friends is much more edifying than wasting my time reading that Jana Duggar actually isn't in a relationship with Tim Tebow, and for that matter hasn't even met him...

    The clouds in your photo are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

.