Along Ocean Drive, the ritzy area of town on the bay shore, I spotted this privacy fence. I can't figure out the reason behind the sections that have the lattice parallel and the one section angled...can you?---

...at the end of Ocean Drive, we turn off to head onto Interstate 37 and go a short distance onto Chaparral to spend a couple hours here:
Bud is a History Buff. I, on the other hand, enjoy the science of Nature! Earlier this week, on a cold, wet, drizzly, gray day, we decided to spend a few hours perusing the museum. The HISTORY and SCIENCE museum. That way, we both have what we like and could spend a goodly time walking the sections of the museum while remaining dry and out of the rain and cold. Can't go birding on days like that!!! Tho we both started off walking the exhibits together, Bud, eventually entered the History section...ME? Yep...I meandered a bit longer in the Science section.

...at the end of Ocean Drive, we turn off to head onto Interstate 37 and go a short distance onto Chaparral to spend a couple hours here:
Bud is a History Buff. I, on the other hand, enjoy the science of Nature! Earlier this week, on a cold, wet, drizzly, gray day, we decided to spend a few hours perusing the museum. The HISTORY and SCIENCE museum. That way, we both have what we like and could spend a goodly time walking the sections of the museum while remaining dry and out of the rain and cold. Can't go birding on days like that!!! Tho we both started off walking the exhibits together, Bud, eventually entered the History section...ME? Yep...I meandered a bit longer in the Science section.
In both the history and the science of our area, there were shipwrecks along the coastal waters during exploration, the wild west of outlaws, cotton smugglers, Native Americans that were reputed as cannibalistic, ranching, pirates, etc. In the science from our area, we have oil, fossils, gems unearthed, reptiles, shells/shellfish, and the like. And since history and science along the coast pertains to the Gulf, we're greeted once we enter the facility, by a colossal wooden ship of the days of yore......
This area, behind the entrance, is devoted to ships' histories of sorts...from battles fought, to relics retrieved from the deep. Ships' artillery, coins, gold, etc. Also, panoramas depicting the hardships and loss of life while traveling to a more 'free, new world' aboard those wooden vessles!! This replica ship you see here, has, more or less, hands-on of life on deck; within it's hull.
So, I begin sharing the SCIENCE side today. I did the best I could with photographing these exhibits...most were UNDER GLASS. From birds, to Paleontology...Later, I will conclude with the history section in another upcoming post:
Sandhill Crane - Lesser Scaup
Wood Duck - Lesser White-fronted Goose
Fragmented fossils of T-Rex dinosaur - Barite mineral...I thought it resembled a frog!!
Loch NESSIE? No...Bone fossils of Dinosaur - Mexican Ground Squirrel
Sandpiper - Coyotes
Plaster Replica of Texas Alligator
February's birthstone...a humongous Geode, Amethyst - Adorable Owl!!
















Really great finds! There is lots to explore.
ReplyDeleteMersad
Mersad Donko Photography
The museum looks like a great place to spend some time, Anni.. I love the pretty sky shot. And your lovely background and header are beautiful. Have a happy day and thanks for stopping by my blog.
ReplyDeleteyou found your birds indoors. i would be with you in the Science side.. and i can't think of a reason fro the odd panel in the fence...
ReplyDeleteyes you would wonder about the fence. Love the last shot and that looks like good museum to visit. Thanks for comment on my post today.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) The angled lattice section must be purely for decorative reasons. I can't think of any other reason. The museum was a good choice to spend time looking around at things you and Bud could both appreciate. It does look like an interesting place.
ReplyDeleteBest Regards.
Museums and libraries... my favourite public spaces! I love the new background and header, they're absolutely gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteYou're right about the frog, I saw it too; and your sky shot looks like our skies of late - hope things warm up for you!
The museum looks like a great place to visit. A science and history afternoon sounds perfect. I wonder if the difference in fence sections was to bring visual interest. At least it brought out our curiosity.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, lovely pictures :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe that one part of the fence was
a gate once? And when they closed
it they didn't find the matching material
anymore? :))
Love the colours of your sunset!
Have a fine day
【ツ】Knipsa
That's a very nice museum. The lattice work has to be one of those "just because" situations, don't you think? :-)
ReplyDeleteRegarding the fence, maybe they had a deal at Home Depot!
ReplyDeleteThe museum looks like a great place to visit. A science and history afternoon sounds perfect. I wonder if the difference in fence sections was to bring visual interest. At least it brought out our curiosity.
ReplyDeleteThat is a puzzle as to why just that one panel is different. I do remember Ocean Drive when I lived in Corpus many years ago.
ReplyDeleteGood morning! About the fence lattice...I say one panel got damaged and the diagonal was all they could find to replace it. The barite mineral does look like a frog.
ReplyDeletemy mother-in-law would have LOVED that huge amethyst! some nice displays, there.
ReplyDeleteas for the fence panel, i'm guessing someone or something crashed through it and they had to repair it, but the hardware store didn't stock the right kind so they had to go with diagonal. :)
Anni, lovely pictures. I have no idea about the lattice on the fence, maybe somebody messed up?
ReplyDeleteA lovely series of shots.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sky to end your day! I like going to Denver's History and Science Museum with my Grands. That fence is a mystery unless they want you to have a peek at a magical garden?
ReplyDeleteInteresting that they put a different looking part in the fence, but I quite like it. Perhaps they wanted some interest in there and mix up the pattern, who knows?
ReplyDeleteThe wooden ship looks quite impressive.
A beautiful sky to end the day indeed!! Interesting fence -- if you find out "why" I hope you'll let us know : )!! Great displays and that amethyst is awesome! Hope your week is going well, Anni!! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteLove the geode! Saw lots of those in South Dakota. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a really nice looking fence. I have no clue about the different patterns. Perhaps that panel was a "gate" or made for people to look in for a little closer peek at the yard.
ReplyDeleteI love visiting museums. I like history, science wasn't my best subject but I enjoy reading about interesting things and your animal shots were great. That alligator eye was scary looking. What a lovely end to your day with that beautiful sky.
Wonderful photos!!! I love to go to museums! Have a grand day! Cathy
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if these birds are real stuffed ones, or entirely man made? I would have loved his place! Especially the fossils, bones, and the cute little ground squirrel. I LOVE your beautiful matching header and background!!
ReplyDeleteI would be following Bud, since I would prefer to spend more time in the history section. However, I do enjoy science too, so would have joined up with you at some point, to inquire about any exhibits that were outstanding.....
ReplyDeleteWe have a wonderful history museum, over in Tampa, and I have blogged about it before. Love your photos (as always)!! I also like your new background look! Fabulous!
LOVE that sky Anni!
ReplyDeleteWonderful colours in the sky
ReplyDeleteI love the colors and art in your header. How nice - one museum that covers both your interests. I would enjoy the birds and the history, too.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness at first glance I thought that was a frog. I love it.
ReplyDeleteThat's a nice looking fence but strange with the lattice. I wonder if someone goofed or if there is a logical reason for it
ReplyDeleteWonderful, gentle sky colours and those amethysts I lust after . . .
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a fun place to visit! I love that amethyst. I don't understand the lattice.
ReplyDeleteI bet they used what they had - or the husband messed uo when he bought them and then didn't want to take the time to return the wrong one.
ReplyDeleteYour museum day sounded so wonderful to me!! I have not been to one in a long time! I have loved museums my whole life!
These are so cool! The barite does look like a frog!
ReplyDeleteLove that soft, hazy sky. TesWis Girl had a good idea about the diagonal lattice panel -- I was also thinking that section might serve as a gate. My T13
ReplyDeleteWhat a fascinating museum! Wonderful displays. Nice lattice gate and gorgeous watercolor sky!
ReplyDeleteDear Anni, I love the old ships and the history behind them. I do like the animals and such also. The skis are breathtaking. xoxo Catherine
ReplyDeleteOh I bet that was a fun and educational trip.
ReplyDeleteWe had a wet heavy snow event Wed. night. It settled on all the tall pines
making the limbs break landing on power lines. We were without power for 15 hours yesterday. And mom was w/o coffee....not a pretty sight
Hugs madi
OH! Please let me know the next time you are going to the museum - I'd like to come along. I'll bring lunch. It's been a looooong time since I had that opportunity.
ReplyDeleteYou found some fascinating subjects to photograph during your visits. Thanks for sharing them with us.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend.
How I would love to know the answer to the fence question. If you look at the bottom it has a support across the bottom that the others don't have.
ReplyDelete