MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Our Two Worlds Meet...

Along Ocean Drive, the ritzy area of town on the bay shore, I spotted this privacy fence. I can't figure out the reason behind the sections that have the lattice parallel and the one section angled...can you?---




...at the end of Ocean Drive, we turn off to head onto Interstate 37 and go a short distance onto Chaparral to spend a couple hours here:

Bud is a History Buff. I, on the other hand, enjoy the science of Nature! Earlier this week, on a cold, wet, drizzly, gray day, we decided to spend a few hours perusing the museum. The HISTORY and SCIENCE museum. That way, we both have what we like and could spend a goodly time walking the sections of the museum while remaining dry and out of the rain and cold. Can't go birding on days like that!!! Tho we both started off walking the exhibits together, Bud, eventually entered the History section...ME? Yep...I meandered a bit longer in the Science section.

In both the history and the science of our area, there were shipwrecks along the coastal waters during exploration, the wild west of outlaws, cotton smugglers, Native Americans that were reputed as cannibalistic, ranching, pirates, etc. In the science from our area, we have oil, fossils, gems unearthed, reptiles, shells/shellfish, and the like. And since history and science along the coast pertains to the Gulf, we're greeted once we enter the facility, by a colossal wooden ship of the days of yore......


This area, behind the entrance, is devoted to ships' histories of sorts...from battles fought, to relics retrieved from the deep. Ships' artillery, coins, gold, etc. Also, panoramas depicting the hardships and loss of life while traveling to a more 'free, new world' aboard those wooden vessles!! This replica ship you see here, has, more or less, hands-on of life on deck; within it's hull.

So, I begin sharing the SCIENCE side today. I did the best I could with photographing these exhibits...most were UNDER GLASS. From birds, to Paleontology...Later, I will conclude with the history section in another upcoming post:



Sandhill Crane - Lesser Scaup

Wood Duck - Lesser White-fronted Goose

Fragmented fossils of T-Rex dinosaur - Barite mineral...I thought it resembled a frog!!

Loch NESSIE? No...Bone fossils of Dinosaur - Mexican Ground Squirrel

Sandpiper - Coyotes

Plaster Replica of Texas Alligator

February's birthstone...a humongous Geode, Amethyst - Adorable Owl!!

...at the end of the day the skies cleared and the cold air brought a cacophony of indigo blues, lavenders, and mauves:


40 comments :

  1. Really great finds! There is lots to explore.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. The museum looks like a great place to spend some time, Anni.. I love the pretty sky shot. And your lovely background and header are beautiful. Have a happy day and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you found your birds indoors. i would be with you in the Science side.. and i can't think of a reason fro the odd panel in the fence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes you would wonder about the fence. Love the last shot and that looks like good museum to visit. Thanks for comment on my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni!:) The angled lattice section must be purely for decorative reasons. I can't think of any other reason. The museum was a good choice to spend time looking around at things you and Bud could both appreciate. It does look like an interesting place.
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Museums and libraries... my favourite public spaces! I love the new background and header, they're absolutely gorgeous.

    You're right about the frog, I saw it too; and your sky shot looks like our skies of late - hope things warm up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The museum looks like a great place to visit. A science and history afternoon sounds perfect. I wonder if the difference in fence sections was to bring visual interest. At least it brought out our curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni, lovely pictures :)
    Maybe that one part of the fence was
    a gate once? And when they closed
    it they didn't find the matching material
    anymore? :))
    Love the colours of your sunset!
    Have a fine day
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very nice museum. The lattice work has to be one of those "just because" situations, don't you think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regarding the fence, maybe they had a deal at Home Depot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The museum looks like a great place to visit. A science and history afternoon sounds perfect. I wonder if the difference in fence sections was to bring visual interest. At least it brought out our curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a puzzle as to why just that one panel is different. I do remember Ocean Drive when I lived in Corpus many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning! About the fence lattice...I say one panel got damaged and the diagonal was all they could find to replace it. The barite mineral does look like a frog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my mother-in-law would have LOVED that huge amethyst! some nice displays, there.

    as for the fence panel, i'm guessing someone or something crashed through it and they had to repair it, but the hardware store didn't stock the right kind so they had to go with diagonal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, lovely pictures. I have no idea about the lattice on the fence, maybe somebody messed up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sky to end your day! I like going to Denver's History and Science Museum with my Grands. That fence is a mystery unless they want you to have a peek at a magical garden?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting that they put a different looking part in the fence, but I quite like it. Perhaps they wanted some interest in there and mix up the pattern, who knows?
    The wooden ship looks quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful sky to end the day indeed!! Interesting fence -- if you find out "why" I hope you'll let us know : )!! Great displays and that amethyst is awesome! Hope your week is going well, Anni!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the geode! Saw lots of those in South Dakota. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a really nice looking fence. I have no clue about the different patterns. Perhaps that panel was a "gate" or made for people to look in for a little closer peek at the yard.
    I love visiting museums. I like history, science wasn't my best subject but I enjoy reading about interesting things and your animal shots were great. That alligator eye was scary looking. What a lovely end to your day with that beautiful sky.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful photos!!! I love to go to museums! Have a grand day! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm wondering if these birds are real stuffed ones, or entirely man made? I would have loved his place! Especially the fossils, bones, and the cute little ground squirrel. I LOVE your beautiful matching header and background!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would be following Bud, since I would prefer to spend more time in the history section. However, I do enjoy science too, so would have joined up with you at some point, to inquire about any exhibits that were outstanding.....

    We have a wonderful history museum, over in Tampa, and I have blogged about it before. Love your photos (as always)!! I also like your new background look! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE that sky Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful colours in the sky

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the colors and art in your header. How nice - one museum that covers both your interests. I would enjoy the birds and the history, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness at first glance I thought that was a frog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a nice looking fence but strange with the lattice. I wonder if someone goofed or if there is a logical reason for it

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful, gentle sky colours and those amethysts I lust after . . .

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks like a fun place to visit! I love that amethyst. I don't understand the lattice.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I bet they used what they had - or the husband messed uo when he bought them and then didn't want to take the time to return the wrong one.
    Your museum day sounded so wonderful to me!! I have not been to one in a long time! I have loved museums my whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are so cool! The barite does look like a frog!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love that soft, hazy sky. TesWis Girl had a good idea about the diagonal lattice panel -- I was also thinking that section might serve as a gate. My T13

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fascinating museum! Wonderful displays. Nice lattice gate and gorgeous watercolor sky!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Anni, I love the old ships and the history behind them. I do like the animals and such also. The skis are breathtaking. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I bet that was a fun and educational trip.
    We had a wet heavy snow event Wed. night. It settled on all the tall pines
    making the limbs break landing on power lines. We were without power for 15 hours yesterday. And mom was w/o coffee....not a pretty sight
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
  38. OH! Please let me know the next time you are going to the museum - I'd like to come along. I'll bring lunch. It's been a looooong time since I had that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You found some fascinating subjects to photograph during your visits. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How I would love to know the answer to the fence question. If you look at the bottom it has a support across the bottom that the others don't have.

    ReplyDelete

.