“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Lonesome Dove[s]...

Something old...


A Military Wedding Portrait
Aunt and Uncle [my father's sister]
circa: 1940-44
Uncle was shot down in a B-17 over the English Channel - he was a 'belly gunner'. A metal plate was placed on his brain where the injuries occurred...
...Many years later died of this very injury. Many years, my aunt was a single parent of three boys...a lonesome dove
Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday

_ _ _ *** _ _ _


Tho these birds are plentiful all over the country, there are several different species of the same family. I'm talkin' doves. Here in my part of Texas, the most abundant and widely seen everywhere is the White Winged Dove [1]...mainly, their habitat scans only the southern tip of Texas, west to the Arizona Sonoran Desert. The Mourning Dove [2], on the other hand, is widely dispersed throughout North America, parts of Southern Canada and into Old Mexico. Thing is, they are scarcely seen here in my part of Texas so it's a thrill for me to actually hear one singing in the morning hours...which occurred a few weeks ago from our roof top!! Then, the Inca Dove [3]. Again, this is a southwestern dove. Spotted mostly in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and the southernmost tip of California within the boundaries of the United States. Also, they flourish in Old Mexico. All the above mentioned birds are monogamous...mating with ONE of its kind for life.  There are two other doves in Texas but very rare in some areas...the ground dove and the eurasian collared dove.


White Winged Dove


Mourning Dove


Inca Dove

linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday

_ _ _ *** _ _ _


HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

TAKE NOTICE
No, I don't 'ask' the questions... Au contraire!! Our fearless leader for Wednesday Hodgepodge is Joyce [see 'linking to' above]...she works long and hard to make this linking party [meme] come to reality. I just participate. Now, on with Joyce's questions and my answers for this week:

1. What summer activity most takes you back to your own childhood? Picnics in the park.

2. What's your favorite summer smell? Rain

3. It's beach season in the U S of A...so how do you feel about sand? Love it...wet sand, walking on the beach, is a great exfoliate!! [sand sticks everywhere....but, dear man of mine...Bud cleans it up in the car all the time]

4. Sun tea, SunChips, sunflower seeds, Capri Sun, Sunny Delight, Sun-Maid raisins, sun-dried tomatoes...your favorite food or beverage with sun in its name? Hot Fudge SUNdae.

5. What's your favorite way to cool off on a hot summer day? Stand under the A/C vent for a while.

6. Share a favorite song with the word sun or sunshine in it's title.  Only ONE? My goodness, I can name that tune in 3 notes. But wait. I love a lot of sunny songs...Sunrise Sunset played by Roger Williams on the piano...You Are the Sunshine of My Life [Stevie Wonder]...Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows [Lesley Gore -or is it Leslie?]...Walking in the Sunshine [Roger Miller] ---oh, so many. But I do stop what I'm doing when I hear this song:
Sunshine on My Shoulders
by John Denver
listen HERE

7. Tell us about a time you had an exceedingly good or truly awful customer service experience. If it was awful, did you report it? Ever go back there again? I've had 'em both. It's almost like a culture shock in today's times to have GOOD customer service!! Bad customer service for me would be a pharmacist telling me that generic brand meds are the very same as brand name meds - and my side effects from generic was all in my head...when the name brand worked wonderfully withOUT side effects. Calling my physician, they told me the generic had added potassium which the brand name didn't....and yes, I called the AMA on the pharmacist and also wrote a complete report on his demeanor. It was NOT all in my head. They are different as you'd expect. Not even the same ratio of drugs in the same mg dosage.

8. Insert your own random thought here. A mini-series of the Old West that was based on a best selling book and Pulitzer Prize Winner, by Larry McMurtry, was my blog post title inspiration. LONESOME DOVE. I knew, from the past that for the most part, filming of this took place in Texas. The Moody Ranch to be exact near Del Rio, Texas. Also, it has been referenced on an online forum that there actually was a Lonesome Dove, Texas - that it was not a fictionalized town. I can't find any other references tho, other than these: Lonesome Dove Village, Lonesome Dove Church/Lonesome Dove Cemetery.

source=Lonesome Dove Cemetery [Texas] from Find A Grave site shows 777 internments
source=wikipedia
source= Forum....quoting "Under the Texas Sun, 1986 Ms Anna Manns Dana documents first hand accounts of her Grandfather Malcolm Graham Vernon and members of her family who moved to North Texas in 1862. She states in her book, "(Her) Grampa decided that Mama would sell the store and her farm and move with the Family to a community near Grapevine called Lonesome Dove." Note: Many small communities in Texas changed their names or lost thier identity completely as they were incorporated into larger towns and as the larger towns grew. Frequently the church drew its name from the town and the cemetery drew its name from the church."


98 comments :

  1. I have always loved doves; especially mourning doves (which are the only one of the three pictured that you'd find in Indiana, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and they're the ones we hardly ever see here. They're my favorite of the doves only 'cause their song is so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. What marvellous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three kids of doves there? I am familiar with the mourning dove only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...actually 5 doves...the ground dove and the eurasian collared dove are also in the area, but very very scarce.

      Delete
  4. I love the old photo. Nothing I like more than seeing all the old wedding dresses. Perfect! It's sad she lost her husband. We mourning doves and eurasian white collared doves. I've only been seeing the white collared variety in the last 3 or 4 years. I enjoy their mourning call. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, the styles are so classy back then!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely foto portrait,and birds, happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lonesome dove story is such a sad one and must have been multiplied many, many times over.

    We have mourning doves here. I love the sound of the sweet mourning doves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...bittersweet is what I usually think when I reminisce about her life. Others have had it worse tho, but can't help feeling proud and sad at the same time.

      Me too....love their song.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photo of your aunt and uncle. I love the sound of doves in the morning. It's a soothing sound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have doves around here in the Pacific Northwest, too. I'm not sure what kind they are, but they are very numerous. I also read that book long ago. The picture from the 1940s of your uncle is bittersweet. So long ago now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my aunt was a very strong woman!!

      Delete
  9. I found your article on the Doves very interesting. We have lots of white-wing doves and love their calls. Never noticed the blue around the eye. Will have to take a closer look.
    Thanks for the visit to Timeless Treasures and nice comment on my new fountain. I am just waiting for the birds to find that watering place.
    Have a cool summer. Really hot and humid here in Kerrville,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,the birds are gonna love it, I'm sure!!! And as for the blue eye ring, yes, it's always there but much more noticeable during breeding season.

      Delete
  10. Interesting information about doves! Thank you! I always appreciate your photos, and love the wedding photo of your aunt & uncle. She must have been a strong woman. Bless her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...indeed....she worked full time after his death and raised three marvelous boys!!

      Delete
  11. only the mourning dove seen here in KY...love the blue eye ring on the white winged dove...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is...they're very pretty during breeding season...instead of the grey wings and body they turn a beautiful taupe with bright pink legs/feet.

      Delete
  12. A lovely post, Anni. What a precious wedding photo and such a tragedy for that family. I love the photos of the doves. Fun to read your answers. Having just moved, we have had terrible customer service from the telephone co.!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....I can imagine that...those phone companies know they have you and could care less about treating their paying customers with respect.

      Delete
  13. I love that picture and the story that goes with it. It fits perfectly with your lonesome dove theme. We only have mourning doves here, I was interested to read about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mourning doves are seen just about everywhere...more so in some areas. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  14. wow...you covered a lot with this post. Enjoyed it all.
    Your uncle was a mighty handsome fella and she is so pretty.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she was my favorite of all aunts!! I loved 'em both very much.
      Yep, I tend to do several memes at once anymore...saves time and I can enjoy life more away from the computer that way.

      Delete
  15. As I wake up in the early mornings, the thing I hear out there are the doves cooing. So soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely one of the best songs in bird-dom!!

      Delete
  16. Your aunt was a beautiful bride, and had such a hard row to hoe when your uncle died and she had to raise those three kids alone. God bless her! And your uncle...a true hero! Loved seeing their wedding photo!

    Thanks for the ID on the Duranta. I HAVE to get one for my yard! And I love the Mexican BOP...it's a spot of color and joy wherever you look! Yes, it can be quite lovely here.

    I'd love to see an Inca dove or a collared dove. My mourning doves and white winged doves greet me every morning, and I enjoy having them around. They are messy, but oh well. Great post! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those Duranta plants do well in the desert!! And not too many blossoming plants that are of the 'cool' colors are seen in the Sonoran, so it's a special one.

      I remember seeing the Inca Dove in Tucson...pay close attention...they blend into the sandy soils there!!

      Delete
  17. Lovely trio of doves! Great "eye shadow" on the White Winged dove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...very bright during breeding season.

      Delete
  18. i've been lucky enough to see all 3 of those doves here, plus the eurasian collared. the inca are rare and i've only seen a white-wing once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very seldom is a collared dove seen here, but I have seen 'em.

      Delete
  19. I'm sorry for what happened to your uncle and that your aunt had to work and raise her children by herself.

    I love listening to the doves, too. We have the mourning doves and eurasian collared doves.

    Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers. I loved the Lonesome Dove mini-series and have the book which is on my ever growing to-be-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...actually, I read the book AND have the dvd...if you want my opinion McMurtry has so many characters in his novels it's difficult to keep up with them...which actually makes the dvd better!!

      Delete
  20. Anni...what a beautiful photo of your Aunt and Uncle....what a loss for the family...

    Your #6 answer...had a lot of my favorites too. I subscribe to Pandora radio which streams through my computer all day. I have preset channels for 50's, 60's music and big band, and any thing with a Sax especially Kenny G and Acker Bilk.
    Gracie had Sirius radio too...we even found an Elvis channel. Love the old music
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....you and I are of a good generation for music....love the oldies!!! I too have pandora radio, and SAX is a favorite instrument of mine.

      Delete
  21. So much loss with wars and yet we continue to fight them... thank you for the info on the doves.. I enjoy the gentle mourning doves that come to the bird feeders here...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, wars that make no sense if not to help our own country while those of us here need a country that has all to often these days lost its strength and power to help their own! Instead of some foreign oil-rich one across the globe.

      You got me started now. lol

      Delete
  22. what a beautiful wedding portrait

    ReplyDelete
  23. The inca dove is really pretty! Sorry you had that experience with the generic meds...they are definitely not all the same. My poor mother had to go through that scenario more than once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...generics just boggle my mind, and yet they try to push it on you which doesn't do the job it's supposed to do.

      Delete
  24. Lovely photography of the doves for OWT ~ thanks, xoxo

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely pics of the three Doves. I have been fortunate ti see two of them but the Inca is still on the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on down here, there are quite a few.

      Delete
  26. I love the old wedding photo and the doves are all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful dove with the blue around its eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are pretty in their own way.

      Delete
  28. Nice captures of the doves. I get only the mourning dove here in my little world north of Austin. Wonderful old photo of the greatest generation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We have lots of mourning doves in our yard. Your Inca is amazingly camouflaged! So the very same injury killed him years later, how very sad. Hot Fudge sundaes all around!!! Matter of fact, I could answer almost all of these questions with that answer! Back to my childhood, cooling off, favorite summer smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, I think it was the metal plate they used to replace some of his brain. I don't know for sure...all I know is THAT is what caused his death in time.

      Delete
  30. P.S. Oops, forgot to tell you I love your dogwood background with the bluebird! It's like a beautiful summer sky.

    ReplyDelete
  31. HI Anni Of course we do not have the variety of Doves that you have so it is lovely to see them on your post today. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your answer for your favorite "sun" food. that would be mine too. I think my favorite summer smell would have to be coppertone sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have never thought of Coppertone.

      Delete
  33. Hello Anni, all the doves seem to have pretty faces, they are sweet. Great shots.. " There is a country song out there by Joe Nichols called "Sunny & 75".. I have this on CD and blare it going down the road to work.. Will sunny do? Great post, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...never heard the song before. I'm gonna have to look this one up online.

      Delete
  34. Clever title! We see a lot of mourning doves here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...their song is one of my favorites!! Thanks Linda

      Delete
  35. anni,
    the post with your aunt and uncle that is priceless, so sorry he died. We have Mourning Doves here and the white wing ones. When I lived in SA there were all sorts of inca's I fed them so they stayed around the house. I don't recall seeing many doves while in CC. I posted a pic * with the harbor bridge, and spid* I am going thru CC pics slowly but surely...getting there I have 2 cd's full of 2mg digital cam *that is alot of pics lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that IS a lot of photos. I'm on my way to view.

      Delete
  36. the smell of rain... absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the old wedding photo. It's so sad to think of how many young men were killed/injured during that war (and others).
    I also like your different types of doves. I sometimes forget they can be nice and not only pigeon-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pigeons too. Thanks for the wedding photo compliment.

      Delete
  38. I really like the dove family; they seem such placid birds

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ha-SUNdae! That's cheating but I'll allow it because I love them too : ) I'm a John Denver fan too. There's a show that goes around the country, someone who does all his music and sounds a lot like him. It gets great reviews and always sells out here. I'd like to go if I can remember to get tix the day they go on sale. Plus it's December and December is always a little tricky. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sundaes are good year 'round actually. lol This road show sounds great.

      Delete
  40. I'm not sure if the town where my dad was born is still there. I should check on that. Very clever answer to the sun question! Good for you for reporting the pharmacist. He could've killed somebody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's always fun to do some searching on the history of our ancestors.

      Delete
  41. I love the old photo! I also loved your blunt answer to number 5. HA! Happy Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I don't swim so the next best thing is the A/C

      Delete
  42. Rain after a hot day smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have a thing for old photos...love the one you shared! I didn't realize there were so many kinds of doves. Great shots, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::April:: You've been missed!! Keeping busy, I'm sure.

      Thanks ... glad you enjoyed the post this week.

      Delete
  44. I always thought doves were white! I love the picture of your aunt and uncle. Old pictures like that are always so fascinating. They look very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....lol Doves are MANY colors. Glad you enjoyed the nostalgic look back.

      Delete
  45. The Mourning Doves keep me awake early in the morning. MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I think their song is beautiful.

      Delete
  46. Number 5 Anni. Surely most folk surveyed would say "A glass of cold beer"? I would.

    Inca Dove - there's a nice one. Collared Dove - yeah we have too many of those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I'll take an icy cold beer...but under the A/C

      Delete
  47. Loved the Sundae answer. I did not think of that. I see our taste in music is very close. Sunshine on My shoulders I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'em both...sundaes and John Denver

      Delete
  48. The wedding photo looks just like my mom and dad! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I see only Mourning Doves here and I love their soft call. Beautiful shots showing three different species..

    ReplyDelete

.