This week...


1] I read this headline on the news station's online section and thought..."Whoa!!! A man is about to give birth?"---
Woman Accused of Running Over Man Soon to Give Birth But, then, of course, I knew that was impossible, but the way it was constructed, it sure read oddly!!! After opening it...my curiosity got the better of me...it continued to become more clear: "The woman accused of fatally running over her common law husband is about to give birth to the man's child. On Thursday, she asked a judge to remove her GPS ankle monitor until she delivers...." Well now, that idea/plea is: Isn't it just kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-your-neck fantastic? There comes to mind "if you do the crime, you do the time" or something to that effect. I know the innocence of the unborn child should be a factor,...the law is made for alleged criminals.

2] Hurricane season for 2013 is about to come to an end. This has been the 7th quietest year in the record 70 years of tracking. That doesn't mean all hell won't break loose next year. I fear that the lack of major storms puts people living in hurricane alley to become more lax, and think they're out of harm's way in the upcoming seasons. There were NO major hurricanes to hit land this year. None. At least in the United States. And the reasoning, I read, was very interesting. "Forecasters say that three main features loom large for the inactivity: large areas of sinking air, frequent plumes of dry, dusty air coming off the Sahara Desert, and above-average wind shear." The dry air trough, above the warm, subtropical air on land, kinda put the hipper-dipper to any formations. Of which I'm thankful. read more...

3] I drew another sketch. It is supposed to be Doc Holliday from the movie Tombstone, but hey...I'm not perfect. It is nowhere NEAR his likeness. [character played by Val Kilmer] Even so, I'll share it anyway:

4] Thinking about Thanksgiving already I am. Not sure quite yet if Erik plans on driving down here to be with us; from Houston. His hectic schedule these days puts a strain on any planning. Guess I'll just work around, making stuff and decorating etc....thinking he will come. If he doesn't, it won't be for naught, Bud and I will just be eating TONS of leftovers over the following days after the holiday. [snort] Even if the gas prices have dropped drastically, Bud and I [and maybe Erik] do not feel like taking our annual Thanksgiving trip. I don't know if it's laziness or just the lack of enthusiasm from driving anywhere. It will seem strange tho, since we've been doing a long weekend trip for several years, this time of year. Staying home isn't all that bad tho. Afterall, I AM a homebody.

5] Monday, I had my annual heart check up. Even with the episode a couple months ago with irregular heart beats and generic meds...the outcome was positive  --my annual EKG was 'perfect like the books show' says my doctor.  It just looked like some lines jumping up and down to me when he showed me.  Oh and my blood pressure AT THE DR's OFFICE was 120/80...wow. I don't think that's EVER happened...usually I am told I have white coat syndrome where at home my blood pressure is fairly  normal....until I have a doctor's appointment.  [insert wink]  . I'm doing well.  Also, this week, I am trying out a new 3 column formatted template for my blog.  Hoping it's not too wide for your screen resolution.  I just needed a 'different' thing since I tend to be here a lot viewing comments and replying to y'all.


Linking to Friday Random 5
join if you'd like...found on my sidebar "memes"

40 comments :

  1. Great your checkup is done and came out well! On your #1, I saw her on tv and she was kind of smirking. All I could think was she's not operating on a full tank. i hope your Thanksgiving works out where you all can be together- we are traveling and I surely don't look forward to the drive. And I liked your picture- I knew who it was before you told me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a safe trip tho....I just can't get into going into another state this year. We talked about driving into West Mississippi, but changed our minds. Maybe a short day drive later in the season.

      Delete
  2. i would disagree with you on #4 ... that's a great drawing of Doc Holiday (i need to get back into drawing i have lost my mojo there) ... i like to not read what folks say & see if i can guess 1st ... i totally guessed who it was before i read your words. & i love that movie Tombstone any ways. have not watched in a while ... Kevin Costner & Val Kilmer are great actors.

    have a great friday!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pssssst....I was an extra in Tin Cup, starring Kevin Costner. He isn't all he's 'cracked up to be' tho. Seeing him in person and his persona is quite different from what you see on the screen.

      And the Tombstone I like has Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell, not K. C.

      Delete
    2. i love those tidbits - so awesome!! lucky you!! ( :

      bear spray - from what i know - it is just pepper spray but it comes out of the bottle (about the size of a small hairspray bottle) at such force that the bear supposedly will back away & leave you alone??! no clue.

      Delete
    3. Pepper spray....hmmm. Who would've known.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your checkup went okay. Some of my geologist friends of mine are busy shopping for tornado shelters. They are a studious lot and they have concluded that increased carbon is indeed "putting a lot of energy in the atmosphere" as they put it and they see more storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and more intense weather activity in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...only time will tell for our future storms. Science is just that science...mother nature on the other hand....well, no one knows for sure.

      Delete
  4. Oh I cannot imagine what it would be like living in Hurricane season area. I guess we never really know what others worry about do we?
    LOVE you Doc Holliday you are very talented.
    Perfect heart ....perfect. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...before we relocated here in the Coastal Bend, we had no inkling of the concerns of what it's like to watch a storm brewing and heading your way!!! Of course, there are other areas in the states that contend with much more...blizzards, farming and cattle loss...things like that. Guess there is something everywhere. Thank Buttons, for the compliments.

      Delete
  5. I actually like this blog layout better than before. It's easier to read. Congratulations on your checkup going so well! You're doing something right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh good to hear...thanks, glad you like the layout!!!

      Delete
  6. Hurricane anxiety never came this year for us in SC and the warning beeps on the TV didn't cause our dog to go into anxious mode, either. Yea! Your sketch is vern nice. We're ready for visitors on Thanksgiving and have stayed home for the past 10 years. It's good to have leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot turkey sandwiches with gobs of left over gravy!!! Yum.

      Delete
  7. Glad your apt when well and your heart is behaving nicely! I really like that sketch!
    No big plans for us on Thanksgiving. I have to work and so does Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can always celebrate early with family...or later the week after. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  8. Hurricane season was really strange this year. The meteorologists claimed we'd have the busiest season ever, then...nothing. I'm glad they were wrong this time.

    So glad your appt. went well. 120/80 is textbook perfect for b/p, isn't it? Doc must've been impressed.

    Hope you get a visit for Thanksgiving. My son and his g/f are supposed to come...we'll see. I'm doing like you and planning for it, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....holidays are super, even if it's just the two of us. I get an excuse to eat pumpkin pie. LOL

      Delete
  9. Anni we love your new look!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY on a very good cardio check up!! I expect blogging helps to as it is good therapy to write and mom calls it her stress reliever from real life.
    hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know your 'mom' and you two blogging always just make my day when I visit!!! I still think of the yellow octopus you encountered Madi.

      Delete
  10. I have "white coat syndrome" as well - which makes things difficult because I do have high blood pressure as well. I am glad your appt. went so well!!

    And I totally knew who your drawing was of without reading what you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. Hope you're feeling better soon!

      Delete
  11. Cool new look to your blog. I love it.
    Oh your drawing is awesome. I knew it was Val Kilmer before even reading your thoughts, you are talented indeed.
    Great news on your health check-ups. It was a pleasure stopping by today. Here is my link:

    http://wishesdreamsandotherthings.blogspot.com/2013/11/random-5-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and a pleasure for me as well having you stop by to visit Ida.

      Delete
  12. Great new blog look! I love the sketch, looks pretty professional to me. Glad to hear your checkup was good, my hubby still has his checkup every 6 months. So far, so good. If only he would quit smoking!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoking is a nasty habit....:::cough:::

      Delete
  13. Funny how we all start thinking about our health towards the holidays. Glad you got a clean bill! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, heart health issues is a year 'round thing with me!!

      Delete
  14. great check up....and i think your sketch is pretty good. my husband is related to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val? Or Doc Holliday? Wow...either case, that's cool.

      Delete
  15. Happy, healthy, busy woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy....happy....yes. Healthy...I hope so. You never know what's around the corner.

      Delete
  16. So glad your checkup was good, Anni. Your Doc Holliday sketch is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. our Thanksgiving will be quiet and uneventful. At the most it will be myself, Wade and my daughter. Works for me since I only get that day off from work.
    Glad to hear your annual check up was a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we go driving somewhere nearly every day, I'm gonna like being home this year me thinks.

      Delete
  18. So happy to hear that your check up went well ... good for you!
    #1 .... what the heck???
    #2 .... interesting facts.
    #3 .... you are quite talented.
    #4 .... must be something in the air ... we usually trek up to New Hampshire for Thanksgiving ... this year we are just not feeling it. We'll see.
    #5 .... my husband has heart disease so I understand your concerns .... be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1....I know, huh?
      #2...glad you thought they were interesting.
      #3...thanks
      #4...travel for us just doesn't seem feasible...no interest this year for some reason.
      #5...well, hope he's doing fine too.

      Delete
  19. You are a great artist. You seem at peace with your holiday plans, or lack there of. I enjoyed this post. I will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete

.