my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




A Sad Tail [tale]...

NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
[links found on sidebar]
I have a gut feeling that this ended sadly! About a week ago, while we were at Oso Bay Observation Deck, along the feeder ditch, Bud and I spotted a Black Bellied Whistling Duck on a mud flat next to some cat tail reed. Now we both knew/know that this breed of duck is known to nest on the water; sometimes in tree cavities. This particular one we spotted seemed to be 'nesting'. My question was: "Do these ducks nest and have hatchlings this late in the season?" When I got home, I had to do some research as my bird guides tell me very little on the time of year they nest. I found this information from the TEXAS A&M Agriculture Extension Site
    "Breeding extends from late March to October and occasionally November."
So, I guess what we witnessed was a possible nesting female. That very same day, Bud and I saw a Harris Hawk silently soaring overhead and then disappear beyond the freeway a couple miles southeast of where we stood. Now, this post is really not about the hawk, but the Black Bellied Whistling Duck that was supposedly nesting. Two days later, we ended up at the same birding area in hopes I could be able to get a photo of the return of the hawk during its feeding time. No hawk, but the whistling duck was still there where the nest once was. But this 2nd day...the once nesting area was UNDER WATER. She was there, keeping vigil, tho, just inches away from the spot where she was seen nesting a couple days before. SAD. So sad. A couple days after the 2nd time, yes a third time, we returned in hopes of spotting a hawk...she was still there. Standing vigil. Just to see her eyes through the binoculars made me tear up some. Knowing she was a bit perplexed and perhaps forlorn at her loss, not wanting to leave; hoping against hope. We walked to the gazebo and scouted the area for any special sightings. We did see what we thought was a hawk flying high, coming out from the vegetation beyond our reach!!! But, through the binoculars we knew we erred in ID'ing...it was an young osprey. As we walked back to the car, returning the way we had come, I spotted mama whistler swimming away from her nesting area. She was leaving her life-line........


...hopefully she will have another chance and be successful.





HODGEPODGE
[link to Joyce's questions on sidebar]



1. Describe a typical Sunday from your childhood.
Breakfast, church services, lunch or outdoor picnic, lazy afternoon or trip to grandparents' farm. TV at night...oh, now it's Bedtime already---nighty-night!!

2. How comfortable are you with uncertainty? Explain. It depends on the circumstances. A health issue would be something I'm uncomfortable with if there are uncertainties involved. Being uncertain with an outcome of let's say...a ballgame...let the best team win, y'know?

3. What have you accomplished recently that might be described as crafty, as in 'arts and crafts' crafty? If crafty doesn't work for you, how about handy? Or both? I finished another drawing over the weekend...which I plan on sharing on my Friday Random 5....and then I am determined to accomplish or should I say defeat the crochet project that I started recently!!!

4. Have you ever worked in a 'food place'? What did you take away from the experience? Well, if I did, I'm certain the 'what' I took away from the experience would be fat cells!

5. Cold turkey, talk turkey, what a turkey...in recent days, which turkey phrase or idiom best applies to you and why? None really, but in the past I'm positive the one that applies to me would be cold turkey. I've stopped bad habits from the get go to not return...so ya, cold turkey works for me. Which reminds me of the comedic movie from decades ago that I never forgot...it was hilarious!!!---Titled Cold Turkey. Where the entire community of smokers gives up smoking....starring Dick Van Dyke and Tom Poston. I remember laughing so hard. I found it online on youtube done in several parts. Here is the link to part one

6. If you could have any one guest join your Thanksgiving dinner table, who would it be? I would want the guest to be an early arrival...like a house guest for a couple of days prior to the holiday...A chef?!!!

7. What is one thing you must accomplish today? Laundry. Baskets of laundry. Both wash, dry, and fold. [the folding part is the worst, most mundane chore]

8. Insert your own random thought here.
As mentioned above in question #3...I'm still working [slowly] on my crochet project. The instructions are written out in the magazine a bit vaguely; relying on a chart for the first 15 rounds...then the written rounds after round 15 are less than infromative...like "join"...but where exactly?...the beginning stitch of previous round? Or perhaps the sc? Next round it tells me to DTR in previous...previous what? See what I mean? Not enough info. This particular pattern I tried years ago and gave up on it. Trashing the whole lot. All because better instructions are something to be desired!! This attempt, I'm reading the directions and more or less following the photo shared to compare my work with the photo. It seems to be helping some, but again, there are many times it requires ripping out stitches and trying again. I HAVE gotten farther along on this try. Maybe, just maybe I can complete it...in a couple years. ROFL. Nah, just kidding. If it continues to go as it is, I may have it done by the end of the winter season. Keeping my fingers crossed I can figure it out. Even with the lacking of complete step by step guides.



74 comments :

  1. Cute shots of the Whistling Duck! It is strange that the duck is trying to nest so late. Have a happy day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, but according to the Extension Services, it can be a common occurrence.

      Delete
  2. so sad about the duck.
    It's my opinion that all pattern instruction for crochet should be written as if it's going to read by a beginner. I've come across a few things that I gave up on because the pattern didn't make any sense and I couldn't figure out what they meant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts on the crochet patterns.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, the poor mama duck. I do hope it will somehow be a better season for her next time. And you have infinitely more patience than I with the crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful duck… I wish her better luck next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The duck story is so sad...
    I love the color of yarn you're using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's definitely BLUE. I like it too. Just hope I can accomplish a finished product... what I started.

      Delete
  6. I love whistling ducks. Another blogger has a pond where she takes pictures of them and posts them. I feel so bad for that mama duck, too. A sad tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...that's Ms. "T" at Run 'Round Ranch!!! I enjoy her Whistler's too.

      Delete
  7. I hope you have a great turkey day!!!
    I hope the whistler is okay.
    I love to go to new things - as long as I am not the center of attention. Love the sidelines.
    Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would rather be the 'flower on the wall' so to speak, and enjoy on the sidelines.

      Delete
  8. poor dear... i hope she will try again in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful duck. Your area is a birder's paradise. I too hope she is successful next year.

    I believe that is a doily you are working on right? Oh dear me I made several of those in my youth and I used to cross stitch but both of these hobbies are just to tiring on my eyes. I love the color of the project
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. It's not a doily....this is worked with 'sport' yarn. I'll reveal what I'm making....ONLY if the project is complete. LOL

      Delete
  10. Great pictures you show Anni :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor momma duck. You got some really nice shots of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....and, I can't help thinking about her.

      Delete
  12. Your shots of the duck are fabulous!! The story was sad and I was hoping it was going to turn out better. I admire your caring and concern for the late nester. I have never seen an osprey, but I hope to some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me personally, I think the osprey is much more majestic than the eagle. MHO

      Delete
  13. I feel so bad for the pretty little Whistler. Hope your crochet project goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked another round this morning on the crocheting...so far, I've been doing okay. I think!!! LOL

      Delete
  14. A very sad story for the momma duck. I kept thinking you were going to tell us that one of the birds of prey took the duck! I'm glad she gave up and went on her way, to try again. Hopefully she learned her lesson about where to nest!! Thanks for sharing. The photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Terri. By the way, I've been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. I have a high school friend named Terri [spelled the same way]. :o)

      Delete
  15. Great photos of the 'whistlers'...So gorgeous!!!!

    1. After Sunday School and Church and a huge Sunday dinner prepared by my mother, we sometimes took Sunday afternoon drives in the country... FUN!
    2. I am VERY uncomfortable with uncertainty... I live with a man who along with his family never communicate with each other very well.. Drives me crazy --that 'plans' aren't made ahead of time. We almost missed a family funeral recently since nobody bothered to tell us --and hubby didn't ask...
    3. HA HA ---Crafty AIN'T me!!! WELL--if you call blowing the leaves out of the yard and cleaning out the flowerbeds as crafty ----that is MY craftiness!!!! ha ha
    4. NOPE ---never ever enjoyed cooking much either
    5. None really --but if I had to choose one, I'd choose, let's talk turkey... I like to discuss details and stuff with friends and family....
    6. Any or all of my SONS... I miss them so much.
    7. Get another blog post done for next week..... Continue sweeping up the leaves from the sidewalk and deck (over and over and over). ha
    8. I love snow ---but we didn't even have any flurries today (which had been predicted). Guess I need to get used to this --since our area just doesn't get much snow. Oh Well.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have the snow...ANY snow Betsy. [after decades of scooping and getting out the snow blowers and driving on snowy, icy roads with all the other maniac drivers...If I don't see another snowflake, I'll be contented.]

      Delete
  16. So sad about the duck's attempt to nest. We frequently find shorebird eggs washing in the tide from nests made too close to the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I wouldn't like seeing that!

      Delete
  17. I don't like sad stories ... they stay with me and sometimes haunt me. We had a fox family and two of the younsters stayed behind when the rest left ... they were thin and undernourished ... they would come eat seeds at my feeders and I felt so sad for them. Now every time I see a fox, I wonder what ever happened to them. There are so many stories, like your duck, in nature that can make you cry, but Nature is like that and we can only help in ways that don't interfere with the process. Yes, Sad:( You were brave to tell this story ... I probably could never have put the words down without sobbing ... The pictures are beautiful and she will have another chance ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about crying...mother nature is cruel sometimes, but there is always another time, another place. Hopefully.

      Delete
  18. I feel sorry for the Whistler mama. We have had a few of them at the stock tank but they must have just been passing through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....they're pretty and a marvelouslly marked species.

      Delete
  19. Well... The goods news is that her losing her nest makes her safer as sitting a nest is dangerous.... I do love my ducks.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is touching, poor baby!!! hopefully she will find her baby again :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have make beautiful photos! cute duck..
    Nice post..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sad indeed, however most bird species are able to try for three broods a year as insurance against predation and natures woes. She will be fine and raising plenty of young in the years to come, great story and glad you took time to keep an eye on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...can't help myself feeling sorry for her loss tho.

      Delete
  24. Your story about the duck pulled at my heart strings. I'm so tender-hearted when it comes to animals. The shots you took of it just look so sad...poor thing. Hey...a chef is a WONDERFUL idea! Why didn't I think of that one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...to have a professional chef for a holiday....that would be a dream come true.

      Delete
  25. Poor duck! She's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck on that crochet project. There is no way I could do it, without step by step instructions. I keep my crochet projects very simple. Otherwise, it's not relaxing to me and just work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a challenge...but this is becoming a chore for now...maybe once I get beyond the puzzle...it'll work out.

      Delete
  27. There's a reason something/someone is called a sitting duck. They are so vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so, but I tend to feel feelings of critters that I'm sure don't exist...a soft heart maybe.

      Delete
  28. Folding laundry is my least favorite items on my "to do" list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yuk...that makes two of us then!!

      Delete
  29. I like your #4 answer! I used to apply for a bunch of cafe or fast food places, i didn't think much of it i just wanted the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needing a job will put all negativeness behind.

      Delete
  30. Loved the duck shots. I am learning to crochet and having a hard time with it. But I will prevail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes easy after a while. Until you're reading an incomplete guide. Then, it becomes tricky.

      Delete
  31. I really enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner, especially if my girls are home. We all like to be in the kitchen, especially together. One of my favorite days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...our family is so spread apart and all do their own things, we don't have the privilege.

      Delete
  32. An early victim of rising sea levels??

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's clever Stewart....but it's a feeder ditch, so the control of the water is through a cranking mechanism.

      Delete
  33. Hi Anni. A sad story but a great photo of W .duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That she is....a beautiful one. And sad too.

      Delete
  34. Oh My I just got so choked up. You wrote this beautifully and I have seen hawks wait on a nest after her chicks fell to their death and yet she waited, not certain what had happened with them...a new respect for motherhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our minds tend to feel sadness, when in reality, they MUST be saddened in some way. I can feel it.

      Yes, a respect for motherhood indeed.

      Delete
  35. Lovely shots of this sweet little whistler. Hopefully, she'll be more successful next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The harsh reality of Nature. I'd like a chef to visit me, too - almost anytime would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it really becomes mundane when only cooking for 2.

      Delete
  37. Aww, poor mama duck! Your photos are so vivid! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the compliment Veronica

      Delete

.