“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





...The Rescuers!

NATURE NOTES and WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
Michelle and Stewart host
Link to their sites on my sidebar under the meme heading


It has been a long time since Bud and I walked along the seawall downtown, near the Marina and Yacht Club. Usually when we do go there it's on a Sunday, early morning...so we can watch the shrimp boats come in. As we trekked the boardwalk and circled around the Gulfway walkway, we came back as one shrimp boat came in and docked. When this occurs, the crowds gather to purchase the fresh catch of shrimp by the pound!! We stopped and watched the shrimpers work their catch to ready it for sale. While I watched the birds, I noticed a single brown pelican fighting to free himself of fish line that he got tangled in...near a pier, right in front of the shrimp boat that just arrived....I yelled to them over the mutterings of the people congregated, and the younger of the three on the shrimp boat went to its rescue. Here are some photos I captured of the event....



The photo with the two asterisks * * --
ENLARGE IT and you can see the fish line attached as the shrimper pulled him in to rescue from the 'trap'.
The photo with the three asterisks * * * -- [the 'saved' pelican is the last to fly off --the one with the water trail]
I love happy endings!!!




WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week.
Link to her site on my sidebar under the meme heading


1. What's one thing you learned in September? I was up late on the 30th, so when it was midnight on the East Coast, it wasn't here...I learned that the U S government shut down! Tho I agree with most that our Congress is not doing their jobs...I'm thinking that shutting down may work for the better, as far as governing goes. We'll see what October brings.

2. Acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, or blech! hold the squash... what's your favorite squash? What's your favorite way to prepare your favorite squash? I love acorn squash [baked with lots of butter and cinnamon/sugar sprinkled when lightly browned]. Zucchini squash is excellent stewed in soups or added to spaghetti sauce!  Barbara, my sister-in-law, could make a killer brownie with grated zucchini added....moist, ooooey-gooey and fudgy!!  [is there such a word as fudgy?]

3. The older I get the less I want to do household chores.

4. What's your favorite television theme song ever? We haven't had TV in our house for two years now. Which is good...I love the concept. :o) I think the question shoulda been favorite MOVIE theme. It would have been much easier. Well, maybe not. 'Cause there are way too many soundtracks I really really like. There are only two television shows we watch faithfully online now, NCIS and Grimm. I guess that makes it easier to choose since I really like the background drums in NCIS theme!!! And Grimm's theme song grates on my nerves. LOL. Wait, I'm not done yet....an oldie but still fabulous rhythm and beat is Henry Mancini's Grammy winner....THE THEME FROM PETER GUNN. The link I just provided (in bold text) is of an MP3 if you'd care to listen. OH I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS ONE FROM LONG AGO!!!----"Making your way in the world today takes everything you got...." from Cheers. By the way, the tv show, Peter Gunn, ran from the 1950s to early 1960s; starring Craig Stevens. OH, and on a side note, I have the NCIS theme as a ringtone on my smartphone.
photo courtesy of Google Images

5. What do you wish you'd spent more time doing five years ago? To be honest, I don't look back and tell myself "I shoulda done this/that". I live for today. Why waste time thinking of things that coulda been done more when today is more important!?!! Sure, I have memories of happenings, but I don't dwell on the 'what if's'.

6. What item do you most need (or want) to add to your wardrobe this fall? I really 'need' a new pair of shoes for Fall. I tend to have way too many sandals and open toe/heel shoes since it's always warm and tropical in this area I call home. Wanting/needing and actually buying are two totally different agendas here. ;o)

7. On October 2, 1950 the Peanuts cartoon was introduced to the world. What was your favorite cartoon when you were a kid? My question is ... is this meant as a printed/published comic strip... or cartoon which is animated? From wikipedia it states that this premiere is "Peanuts is a syndicated daily and Sunday American comic strip written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz, which ran from October 2, 1950". If you want 'cartoon' I would have to say anything with Daffy Duck!!! He was my all time favorite when I was young....even when my two kids were children...Daffy Duck Rules!!! But if you are wanting comic strip I would have to answer "I never really paid attention when I was a kid". But I did really like Garfield [animated AND in print form] and an oldie that no longer exists after Gary Larson retired... that was "The Far Side".

comic and Daffy Duck courtesy of Google Images

8. Insert your own random thought here. Late yesterday afternoon, I posted a blog on some, I think, fantastic Fall Decor ideas with a couple of casserole recipes. You may want to check it out. I especially like the 'candy corn' pumpkin painting....the link is: EASY PEASY

77 comments :

  1. So glad the shrimper helped out the bird, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too....just watching it try to free itself gave me a great deal of anxiety!!

      Delete
  2. So glad for the happy ending! Great captures, Anni!

    Of course, I don't mind the link on the sidebar! In fact, I ought to thank you for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I sure think you post is worthy of mentioning!! You shared some FANGtastic Halloween healthy treats!!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for calling attention to the pelican's plight, Anni. You saved his life as much as the shrimper did. And I love zucchini squash, but winter acorn and delicata can't be beat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't consider myself the savior here...that young boy did himself proud Sunday morning. And I'm thankful.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anni...

    very nice pictures Anni!!

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pics.

    You got me thinking about fall fashions, and you know what I'd really like? A pair of suede boots. :-) Impractical, I know, but I think about those lousy things every single fall, and yet I never buy them...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, suede boots sound great to me!!!

      Delete
  6. glad they got it free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good rescue! Our guys who surf fish from the beach have had a few similar experiences. Love the excellent photo story and photos so descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so glad the pelican was set free. Those nets are a menance to water birds.
    I love all squash, but my fave is White Swan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of white swan squash tho!?!!!

      Delete
  9. Oh we love happy endings too.
    Mom loves the Peter Gunn theme too...she wonders how many will remember it.
    Amen to milk and cats ...we've had 2 cats neither were ever given milk for the very reason you stated. It does not agree with them...need to investigate the
    myth that cats like milk. LOL
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard this 'til Tahoe had an infection....ever since I was a kid we always fed our cats milk. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  10. That poor pelican. Glad he was fixed up, seemingly no worse for wear. Great series of photos, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see it fly away...bittersweet...in just a short time....

      Delete
  11. Well done that lad, and a great prompt by your good-self and a very happy ending.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Dave. I'm still in awe of your S. African photos!!! Wow.

      Delete
  12. I love your happy ending story ... I have seen geese tangled in fishing line, but they won't let you get close enough to help them ... it makes me sad to see them struggle. Water foul all over the world are suffering from man being careless with their fishing line and all waste products like pop can holders ... they have found dead birds with their stomachs full of plastic. I get so frustrated at mans indifference ... thus I am happy to see a story where someone cared enough and was able to help. Thank you for the lift :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, and what makes me quite upset is all the plastic and dangerous items found on the beaches for water fowl to get into...it boggles my mind!!!

      Delete
  13. Great photos and it was very special that you were able to get someone to rescue the pelican from the fishing line. Pelicans and fishing lines too often get caught up around here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad part of the world around here too. Mick? I really enjoyed your island trek and the birds you shared this week!

      Delete
  14. Yes it was a happy ending, thanks to you and the nice man. I like your colorful witch on your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula...glad you like the header this year. And loved the fact we both posted happy ending stories today.

      Delete
  15. I love happy endings too. I'm glad the pelican was saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and me both [along with so many others here].

      Delete
  16. The pelican rescue is such an uplifting story...fabulous pictures documenting it as well. Thanks for sharing (and for alerting the shrimper).....Boy, do I remember how much we loved greeting those boats when we stayed in Port A or Fulton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's been a LONG time since Bud and I drove over to Fulton. Pretty area.

      Delete
  17. I remember the Theme from Peter Gunn! What a great series of photos of the poor pelican, so glad you alerted someone and he was saved!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then, Ginny!!! I think we aged ourselves tho. ;o)

      Delete
  18. Your pelican rescue shots are amazing! Glad you notified them and he was ok.
    My favorite comic strip was Calvin and Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh yes, Calvin and Hobbes was very good most times too. Bud always had to check that one out daily.

      Delete
  19. I am happy that there was a happy ending for the pelican. You helped saved him, Anni! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, happy endings like this makes us humans seem to appreciate nature. So many don't...sad.

      Delete
  20. Glad the bird was rescued. It was probably panicking being stuck in that line.
    I like your answer about what you wish you spent more time doing 5 years ago. That's a good way to live. I also agree with the older I get the less I want to do household chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...don't know 'bout you but that 'getting older vs. household work' grows by the day too!!

      Delete
  21. Oh so glad this one was freed of the line...I hate how many are not able to be treated like this~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and so many are in fear of us humans we sometimes CAN'T help.

      Delete
  22. Very nice ending! It seems every time we visit our local pier or marina at least one Pelican has hooks, lures or line on it. The state is posting signs showing fishermen how to help the birds but it's a long education process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, from what the two of witnessed that day, it stoked up a conversation of the same...educating those that use the same beaches/land/water as do the wildlife!!

      Delete
  23. Shrimp is soooooo...good the other day I had it with some clintro....yum
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy grilled and/or fried shrimp myself. :o)

      Delete
  24. What a great effort of that young man! I'm glad you documented it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Betty...loved viewing your swans today!

      Delete
  25. Hi There, We are home from a 10 day vacation... It was fabulous and we did so much!!! I even got some Genealogy work done too!!!!! Took over 1500 photos. ha ha

    My thoughts to your questions:
    1. I learned/know that September is the BEST month to travel. Weather was perfect and there weren't so many people around!!!!
    2. I like most all kinds of squash --but the yellow squash is probably my fav. I enjoy it cooked with onions... YUM.
    3. The older I get, the happier I am!
    4. Gosh--there are so many!!! The first one that comes to mind for some strange reason is "Green Acres is the Place for Me"..... GADS--why did I think of that one?
    5. Wish I had worked as hard on keeping my weight under control in past years --as I have the past two!!!!
    6. A new sweat suit that FITS; After losing weight, my clothes are HUGE on me. (Nice problem to have.)
    7. Roadrunner and/or Bugs Bunny

    Hope you have had a great couple of weeks.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed your vacation Betsy.

      Delete
  26. I'm so very glad the pelican was saved- terrific! And Far Side is one of my all time favorite comics~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wasn't Far Side hilarious. Just about 100% of the time.

      Delete
  27. Hi Anni,
    You asked about my name and I thought I'd answer here too: My last name is pronounced "Beck" (like the famous guitarist Jeff Beck). The Swedish word bäck means brook (or creak or stream, but either way it's a small one).
    Have a great day!
    Hugs, Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gunilla. I would have never guessed it would be pronounced "Beck". You helped me out, and I appreciate that very much.

      Delete
  28. Good for you for your role in getting that pelican saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I did was alert them to the situation. I'm more than happy to give all the credit to those who freed it.

      Delete
  29. I can totally relate (and agree with) your #3 answer to the Hodgepodge! I hate housework!!!
    I also like your answer to #5. Live for today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...housework, even with just the two of us becomes a 'not again' type chore!!! ;o)

      Delete
  30. I liked your choices in theme songs/music. I couldn't keep it to just one either, and once you mentioned the theme to Peter Gunn, it dawned on me that in the way of just music (no words) I still really like the theme to Perry Mason!.. After seeing your pelican photos, I am very happy to see the poor pelican was rescued and safely released! That IS a very happy ending! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...I don't recall Perry Mason's theme. Now I gotta go Google!

      Delete
  31. Oh! those halloween paintings that you have created are amazing. How did you create/paint them? Such happy ending and lovely story about the pelicans. I absolutely love Henry Mancini. Not sure if it is a good idea that the govt is shutting down :-( -- so many people depend on livelihoods on them -- think about all the vendors in national park; all the blue color jobs holder, who are paid on daily basis, across all sorts of federal offices, parks, buildings, monuments, whatever not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the pay part is no good, but if it gets them to working together and get this mess cleaned up some, I'm sure it'll be good in the long run.

      Delete
  32. Wonderful pics, as always, Anni! So happy to see the pelican got freed! No TV in your house for the past 2 years? I really admire that...just not sure I could pull it off. It's my escape, most days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, no TV. And I'm lovin' it!!!

      Oh April, I do hope you share some photos next week of the homecoming event!!

      Delete
  33. Great theme songs and I love seeing your pictures every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's good to know you enjoy my wednesday blog posts!!

      Delete
  34. Fudgy is definitely a word : ) I like the movie soundtrack question...you might see that in a future Hodgepodge. Always enjoy my visits here...have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Joyce. You made my day. :o)

      Delete
  35. I feel the same way with your answer to #3. As a matter of fact, I told hub to sell and get a double wide trailer for me to take care of-too much house for me. Love the answer to #5. You, my friend, have a great out look for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've told Bud nearly the same thing...get into an assisted living complex ...where there is no more yard maintenance. lol

      Delete
  36. I am glad someone helped that poor bird! Beautiful photos you took!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I wish people were more careful with line..we had to rescue a great blue heron here.. I am glad the bird was rescued.. so many creatures are not so lucky...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  38. I remember Peter Gunn and I loved the music.
    Anni, I've been negligent about visiting my blogging buddies. I want you to know that I am catching up on your posts today although I may not comment on all that I read.
    I'm ready for some cooler temperatures, too. The forecast for this week in our area is for 70's daytime and 40's at night. Our annual Fall vacation is in two weeks. I've been hoping the trees would hold off on their glorious display for just a little longer so as to be at a peak then.....and although I'd like the days to be cooler and pleasant for hiking, I do not want it to be in the low 40s in the daytime as it was last year, just too cold to enjoy being outdoors much. I'm not picky at all, ha.
    We had our Street Festival yesterday. My club has a booth selling soft drinks, water, coffee, juice, doughnuts and pizza slices. We raise money for charities so it is strictly non profit. Well, it was in the 90s with sun shinning into the booth most of the day. Very uncomfortable and very exhausting. I don't remember it ever being so hot during this event.
    Have a blessed day,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great rescue, I'm so glad you were able to do that. It is always brutal watching birds try to free themselves from netting and other things like it. It's one reason I have to 'share' my berries....I just can't stand to use netting. I saw one first year juvenile chickadee caught in a net once, and that was it. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It was so sad seeing those pelicans with all kinds of plastic around their bills :(
    so glad they saved it :) I had some named out at Port A, called them George and Henry they always waited for a fresh handout! lol

    ReplyDelete

.