my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




....Raking in the Chips


  • A long, long, long, LONG time ago, as Bud and I made a habit of staying up to watch Johnny Carson's Late Night Show, we so often bring up the subject of our favorite segments. Mine are usually dealing with Mr. Carson and all the animals [wild and tame] that were brought on stage with him. Many-a-times when we are eating lunch or a light dinner of sandwiches and chips, we discuss the 'potato chip lady'. Do any of you remember that one particular program? A woman collected potato chips of all things. In all different shapes. And she had them named too. I think my most favorite one she had shown was the one shaped like Bob Hope, and it really LOOKED like Bob Hope! [you can see the chip and others in her collection from this video link]. I had a most difficult time finding this since so many were not available on You Tube any more. Because of copyright issues, and I can't understand why this one actually showed up, but to not infringe on a copyright I only share the link.
  • Anyway, the other night I had made a sliced ham and provolone cheese sandwich on hard bolillo bread [a crusty french individual sized [small ] loaf of bread....mighty delicious. Along with the sandwich I served our favorite chips. Now these chips are a store brand product. I swear, sometimes the store brands are much better and tastier than national brands. And these chips are one such item!! We're obviously not the only ones who really like 'em either...throughout Corpus Christi and surrounding areas there are literally hundreds of H*E*B stores, from small neighborhood grocers to the giant super center stores. Seems no matter which corner store we frequent, those "Loaded Baked Potato" Chips areas on the shelves are always empty. Several times I've had to ask a shelf-stocker to go back in the warehouse area and bring out MORE so I can buy them. They're baked potato, sour cream and cheese chips...sprinkled lightly with dried chopped chives. Yum!!
    We were eating in the living room, watching the movie with Daniel Day Lewis's "The Last of the Mohicans", and I was separating the big chips on my plate from the tiny broken ones and eating the broken ones first; saving the bigger, better, ones for last. LOL When through the pile of chips, I pull out one that truly stopped me with my inane ritual!! And of course I thought of the Potato Chip Lady right away.
    By the way, a little preamble to my conclusion of this ditty... I've been known to pick up rocks or a piece of broken glass on the beach, or seeds...you name it, that closely resemble the heart shape!! [My favorite heart shaped seed is the Sea Heart] - Right in the dead center of this chip, there was an open heart shape. Nearly perfect. Needless to say, I've saved it. And I told Bud that we should somehow put it in a shadow box with a glass cover for protection. Really? How often does this happening come along? Like the potato chip lady, I too have named mine...it's lovingly dubbed Myrtle Young's Heart. Or maybe I could list it on Ebay?!! rofl
    Are you ready to see my find? Wanna see it, do'ya? Say purdy please!!...........

    Okay, you talked me into it.


  • As y'all know, a quilt project is under way at Hootin' Anni's abode!! I now have all the blocks sewn together [it's an eclectic mixture of sizes and shapes -square AND rectangle]...the batting is in place, the back panel is sewn on and it's quilted up to the rough edges around the entire quilt. Now this week, I started sewing the binding together after watching an online video on the 'how to'. After I pressed the seams open, I had a helper. One who has been watchin' my every move for this particular segment in quilting. Guess you could now call her "Bounty" 'Cause she was my 'quilter picker-upper'. I'm a little off the rocker today folks...don't mind me. This quilting is for more skilled ones; more so than I am. Other than bearing two kids, this is the most tiring and tedious thing I've done in a long time. :::snort::: The picture of my helper is quite blurred and dark, I was walking back to the sewing machine and Tahoe was helping me carry the strip of binding!! And this new cellphone doesn't take very clear pictures. Of course I have yet to work on the phone's preferences, maybe someday I can make adjustments. Ironic that this is a Halloween quilt and I have a black cat helping. Don't you think? ;o)

  • Been watching a couple of storms brewing and could possibly be heading toward the Gulf of Mexico. At least the one that originated just off the coast of Venzuela this week. The other one is still out in the Atlantic just off the coast of West Africa, well today it seems that it will change a more northerly direction instead of hitting the USA. But, for us in Texas and the Hurricane Alley-ways, they both deemed watchable!! It's been all too quiet out there since the 2013 season began. August, September, October are historically the most active of the 6 month season. Here they come!

  • I like redecorating here on my blog. I try to use something that pertains to my likes mostly. Or the area where I live. This template set I used once before and found it in my graphics stash folder, and revamped it a bit and added the Egret header. It seems no matter how many colors I use, I always go back to the white background. I think white is best for all. It's easier on the eyes when you read a lot of blogs. Soft colors are best in my opinion. And white overall is even better.

  • Tired of all the corrupt government and the raising of taxes. I have a cute clip that Erik sent me through email...

    no infringement intended

  • I began sketching a new pencil work...another bird. Haven't finished it yet to share it with anyone. I'm having a difficult time getting its feet to look right. Bird feet have always been a challenge for me. This time, if I ever get it finished, it's of a jay found in Texas.

  • And lastly for this week's fragmented thoughts, with the 'tax' comic strip above, I was reminded of this...I was pinning some of my quilt, preparing to sew, at the dining room table. In the afternoon, this room has the best light coming in the window. Anyway, I spotted from my chair, looking out the window, a critter that shows up daily for its lunch!! Of course, there is just absolutely no way to keep squirrels from feeders. You either let them feed along with the original intended birds of the 'hood, or don't put out seed!! But, this reminded me of an article I read about an elderly couple that was ordered to court because of one of their bird feeders in their yard!! I couldn't believe my eyes and just how cruel people [and next door neighbors] are getting these days. They face a fine, and what boggles my mind is the waste of time and taxpayers money to have this instance appear before a judge....'cause of a bird feeder?!!!...READ MORE
    ...and speaking of birds...LOOK, up in the sky [it's not Superman------]





  • 80 comments :

    1. Love your new background! Perfect for our area. I'll bet you more than a plugged nickel you could actually make money on that chip on ebay- people buy the strangest things there. I can't wait to see how the quilt turns out- you've gotten me thinking all kinds of quitly thoughts now!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, Ebay shoppers are a 'whole 'nother breed' of people. As for quilts, I'm still not convinced that quilters have much sanity when they're done. LOL Broken needles, transparent thread, bobbin tension....oh, the trials of quilters. rofl

        Delete
    2. Hurt my side from laughing at the Johnny Carson episode. I used to watch him all of the time too. Also, I had to forward the link regarding the feeding of birds to a friend in NJ. I can't wait to get her reaction. She is a physically challenged photographer who "shoots" birds and squirrels in her back yard at her feeders. That court cse is beyond my understanding.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...beyond any sane comprehension that some would complain to begin with --people these days just boggle my mind.

        Delete
      2. I sent the link you posted about feeding the birds to my friend and she was outraged. She will pass it on to others.

        Delete
      3. It still continues to boggle my mind. Insanity

        Delete
    3. Seriously I cannot believe this bird feeder article!!! At first I thought there must be something harmful to squirrels or some other thing, but NO, it is just a a plain feeder, and in her own yard!!!! This is a great big waste of the public's money to go to court over this. They sell this feeder everywhere here, so if people are so upset, then let them stop selling them at the STORES! We don't have any of these stores around here, I wish we did so I could taste these chips!! You MUST save the heart, it is awesome!!! I love your new background and header, yours are always so beautiful without being distracting.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Ginny. As for the chip, I intend to save it if I can. Somehow.

        Delete
    4. First of all, I love your background and header! I, too, think a white background is best for reading blogs.

      I just can't believe the newspaper article about the bird feeder. What harm can a simple bird feeder filled with peanuts possibly do to a community? Some people just need to mind their own business.

      I hope you save that chip! Loved the video of the Potato Chip Lady. I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my chips instead of stuffing them in my mouth so fast! Haha!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...ha. There are treasures in those bags of chips. Now we both know. :o)

        Delete
    5. I'm just happy I don't live in their neighborhood.......we have all kinds of critters coming to eat under the feeder and there are probably some people who would find fault with that....plus we have the two hens in their movable pen......there is a shallow ditch running between the fences in our neighborhood which leads to the cotton patch and woods so we have wildlife whether we feed them or not. No bears, though.......Birds do eat peanuts. I buy the songbird food which contains shelled peanuts, shelled sunflowers and pistachio nuts.....I add this to the black oiled sunflowers.......several species of Woodpeckers eat these nuts.....
      I'm proud of you for your quilting and can't wait to see it....
      Lovely watercolor in your header.
      I just showed Jim this article and told him it was in Jersey and he said well, that explains it.
      Mama Bear

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. rofl regarding Jim's comment.

        Delete
    6. Great photo with the birds !I like it!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Lovely skies and the birds are the perfect touch! What a great shot for the day!! Enjoy your weekend, Anni!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I finally found your blog this morning!!! Thanks Sylvia

        Delete
    8. Really enjoyed this post. I love your new header.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Hi there, YES--YES--YES---I remember the Potato Chip Lady... I DO!!!!! Loved Johnny Carson --and have not found one single late night comedian since him whom I like... I do like Leno --but even he's not Johnny Carson.

      Love your special chip..... I'd save it too!!!!! Good luck with your Quilt Project. You are one talented lady.

      Hope you all don't get a bad storm... Those things scare me. One of my sons lives near the San Luis Pass ---and works there (has a vacation rental business)... I pray for their safety every year during hurricane season.

      Stay safe --and have a great day.
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I often think of how 'good' TV was back in our younger years. Today, it's just nothing but 'trash'. LOL

        So far, this morning the predictions are panning out as they wrote yesterday...things are dispersing in the hurricane scenarios. Only time will tell.

        Delete
    10. Loving the birds on the swingset! Can't fathom how bizarre some folks thougts are, not wanting birds and animals around the yard. Thankfully my neighbours humour me, even if the squirrels drive them crazy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Karen, thanks. Enjoy your vacation!!

        Delete
    11. I can not get over the birdfeeder story. Wow, what a story and what a waste of time and taxpayer money. I have one of those feeders for peanuts, and the bluejays seemed to like it. Love your sky shot with the gulls. Have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...isn't that something? It's just unbelievable.

        Delete
    12. Lovely sky shot and love the birds, carol, xo

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I thought the sky was dappled. It was such a pretty blue that day.

        Delete
    13. I agree with you on the squirrels. If you feed the birds, the squirrels are going to get their share.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...that's so right. And chasing them out one day will NOT scare 'em off the next.

        Delete
    14. What fun, Anni, and I love your pet potato chip. Of course you have to mount it in a shadow box and keep it forever. It will really confuse your great-great-grandchildren.
      I love all the birds waiting their turn on the swings, and the nice blue hole in the clouds, but I love the squirrel especially because we don't have them here, and I miss them.
      Oh, here I am. I scrolled back up to look again, and couldn't find the comment box.
      Sigh.
      Well, Dick and dog are home from their walk, so I have to think about supper.
      Nice to connect with you again. I've been very remiss.
      K

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. :::Kay!!!::: It's so nice to see you stop by!!!

        Delete
    15. wonderful series...love the potato chip with the heart especially!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Laura. Glad you enjoyed the post.

        Delete
    16. Aww -what a lovely chip!

      Nice bird photo too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ....LOL, glad to know you enjoyed this today.

        Delete
    17. Love your new background and header and the photos and cartoon srtip and the potato chip and ......everything!

      I can't believe the newspaper article about the bird feeder either! If the neighbors don't appreciate nature, they should consider moving to the city.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I personally think the 'crazies' are coming out of the woodwork these days.

        Delete
    18. I like this blog look, Anni. It's pretty and clean and feels just right! Your potato chip is a framer, all right! I enjoyed this entire post! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Jan, glad to know you enjoyed your visit.

        Delete
    19. Bolillos are wonderful! Of course, your potato chip is pretty awesome, too. Enjoy your weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yes, they ARE yummy. I usually set mine out about 3 hours before serving them, so they get a good crusty crust on them.

        Delete
    20. Haven't tried chips like that, love the heart chip...sweet

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...you have to come to Texas and try them.

        Thanks Noel.

        Delete
    21. HI ANNI WE ALWAYS ENJOY FRIDAYS AT ANNI'S LOTS OF FUN STUFF.

      MY HUMAN SIS AND HUBBY WILL BE HERE SHORTLY FOR THE WEEKEND
      WE ARE CELEBRATING HER B-DAY EARLY IT IS THE 2ND ANNIVERSARY OF HER 21ST BDAY
      HUGS MADI AND MOM

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ummmmm, 2nd anniversary of her 21st, huh.....making me do math now, are you? Well, hope you all have a great celebration.

        Delete
    22. Be very careful looking up... those bird bombs will get ya!

      Wanted to thank you for dropping in but your email wasn't enabled. Thank you!

      PS: I miss Johnny.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No, I don't do emails, since most of the time I allot myself in one day, is for visiting bloggers and composing my blogs.

        Delete
    23. Love love love the new header. It may be OLD by now, I have no clue, but today is the first time I've seen it, so it's new to me!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...well, it's old and new at the same time. I've used the template before, long ago, but revamped the header.

        Thanks Keetha.

        Delete
    24. the gulls are too cute.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like photographing them all lined up in rows.

        Delete
    25. Wow! What a cool potato chip. (Hmmmm...that's not something I even expected to say in my life...LOL)

      I know squirrels can be pesky but really. Look how cute he is. And I LOVE your closing photo of the birds. Excellent shot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Linda...nice to meet you. I also enjoyed your frags this week.

        Delete
    26. Every time I see gulls I hear "mine, mine" from Finding Nemo.

      I want to do a quilt project, but I understand the work involved. I still have not gone back to cross-stitching after doing 2 Christmas presents in one year. It broke me ;-)

      That comic strip is funny. And aren't some of the law suits in this country just crazy??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ....now that you mention it, Finding Nemo will come to mind for me! LOL

        Delete
    27. Oh, and I do love the lighter colors and your header. I agree that lighter colors are easier on the eyes.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh I like bright colors and light colors, but when you tend to visit other blogs, having too many contrasting and too bright....it becomes eye strain.

        Delete
    28. The squirrels can become a nuisance at the bird feeders but they're so cute to watch!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. cute indeed....I never tire of watching them, either.

        Delete
    29. he is a very cute squirrel - who would love some of your chips. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lol...ya, he probably would like the chip. Nope. Not gonna give him the prize tho. ;o)

        Delete
    30. Yummy Chips... :)

      Greetings

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. G'day Timur. They ARE yummy.

        Delete
    31. You are so much fun! I adore your posts!
      I know what you mean about the negative comments...sigh.
      Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario

      ReplyDelete
    32. Love the squirrel, and I had to laugh because I do the same thing with my potato chips!!! The heart chip is a truly cool find!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh boy....two of us then...you do the same ritual? How cool is that?!!

        Delete
    33. I never saw the potato chip lady episode but it is so funny, the woman is serious on the show about her collection! You know we'll all be looking at our chips for faces and animals now. ;-) The heart you found was pretty cool.
      Is that a trapeze act lined up on the bar over the swings?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If I'm not hungry, I tend to continue to look for shapes/faces still after all these years. LOL

        Delete
    34. I miss Johnny Carson - the wild animals were my favorite, too:) Love your little helper:) I'm working on a quilt, too - and it's challenging - it's only my 3rd and I picked a challenging one - I'm a glutton for punishment! Wishing you a week full of joyful opportunities!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...I know for a fact this will be my one and only!! It's a challenge, but it definitely isn't my interest to make a 2nd one. This one quilt is enough.

        Delete
    35. I remember potato chip lade and yours definitely has a perfct heart!
      Have a great weekend!
      :-)
      Traci

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks for visiting Traci.

        Delete
    36. That chip is a rare treasure Anni, I'm glad you saved it. I don't remember the potato chip lady but I loved Johnny Carson. Do you remember the lady from Barrow, AK who presented Johnny with an oosik (the penis bone from a walrus)? The look on his face was priceless. She had a Mexican restaurant in Barrow, I met her up there a couple of years after the show.

      The fuss over the feeder is ridiculous. If I lived there I would be getting papers served on me all the time because of the feral cats. Those people need to get a life.

      I love that cute little squirrel.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Personally, I think this whole feeder scenario is a bunch of crapola!

        Delete
    37. Anni, You are one "busy" lady. Loved your comments on Johnny Carson--I loved the Tonight Show. Nobody is as good as Johnny Carson was. I'll bet your quilt will be great --I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product. Have a nice Sunday. Mickie :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...it'll be a while before I show off the finished quilt....IF I do. I'm not so sure it'll be worthy! LOL

        Delete
    38. I love your new background too ... but my oh my! What an amazing find!!! Such a perfect heart - I bet you'll be buying lots more of that particular brand! Have a wonderful week!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...lol...we already consume way too many of these tasty treats. Not healthy at all. Seriously. But, the chip is gonna go in a shadow box when I find one I like. :o)

        Delete

    .