MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Reflecting...

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
and
Nature Notes

The bay area really close to where we live was so glass-like the other day, it made for great reflections!!!


[back] - black necked stilt * [front] seagull


[left to right] - tri colored heron, black necked stilt & seagull


seagulls and tri-colored heron


tri-colored heron





WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

1. My daughter earned her Master's Degree this past weekend [Our Hodgepodge hostess, Joyce's daughter]...what's something you've 'mastered' in recent weeks or months? I've mastered the art of collecting more fat cells without changing my diet habits!! It's the heart meds. Makes sense doesn't it? To keep a healthy heart, you should maintain a healthy weight for your height...but being 'put on' a Rx for heart rate and high blood pressure, the weight magically appears. Go figure.

2. What song most reminds you of your childhood? My mother always sang this to her grandkids [I was a youngster when the 1st grandchild was born...8 years old I was]. She'd sing this to them:
    Down in the meadow in an itty bitty brook. Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie took "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can" And they swam and they swam all over the dam Boop boop dit-tem dat-tem what-tem Chu! Boop boop dit-tem dat-tem what-tem Chu! Boop boop dit-tem dat-tem what-tem Chu! And they swam and they swam all over the dam
You can find the rest of the lyrics, here [altho, in the site's lyrics the 'itty bitty brook' is little bitty pool and 'took' is too, I guess it's a variation of what my mom used to sing]... Eventually, after I grew up and had children of my own, I used to sing the very song to them also!!

3. What do you think about single gender groups and/or events? Should every group/event be open to both genders? If not, what sort of exceptions do you think are appropriate? I have shared my thoughts on this one particular group many times, with Bud and no one else....I don't think the USMC [United States Marine Corps] should allow women, period!!! Afterall, the Corps is looking for a FEW GOOD MEN!!! [not women] Oh, and another gender groupie would be nursing mothers of their newborn offspring, I'd hate to see a MAN attempt it...I'm sure it'd make CNN headlines tho.

4. What's your favorite spice? Your favorite dish containing your favorite spice? For baking desserts, it'd have to be cinnamon!! As in cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. Or apple dumplings with cinnamon syrup. If it's an entreé dish, I think it'd have to be chili powder. I love anything Mexican...chicken or cheese enchiladas with CHILI sauce [not that green ooky goo!], homemade [carnitas] tacos with chili powder and homemade by hand, flour tortillas. I even like my scrambled eggs sprinkled with chili powder. Oh, and to combine them both, have a bowl of chili con carne and instead of crackers on the side, try a cinnamon roll!!! DEEEElicious.

A favorite dessert - apple dumplings I made and posted about before [photo taken long ago and from my previous blog post]


5. I saw this question on Marla's facebook page and asked if I could steal borrow it for the Hodgepodge...thanks Marla! Chevron patterns are everywhere! Do you like it or think its just a little too much? Do you own anything 'chevron'? Actually, I've never noticed this new interest in chevrons. I only see it when out driving; the Chevron Gas/Oil Company signs. And with that, no, I don't 'own' any stock in the company. LOL My preference is EXXON.

6. What's something you disliked as a child, but can fully appreciate now? I don't recall anything I disliked and can appreciate today. What I disliked as a child, I still do not like. Anyway, I can't think of a thing. Well, wait. Again, it's all about food here. My mother used to serve calves liver and she'd soak it in milk then bread it and fry it up...slow and long. It made the liver so tough we couldn't chew it. I hated it. Today I can appreciate liver fried at a very hot temperature and for a short time. Makes it melt in your mouth tender.

7. What can irritate you very quickly? Two things come to mind, whiners and liars.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of nursing mothers [see question #3]. I read where the mothers of newborns had a 'nursing sit in' at a local restaurant somewhere in this country. Where they all sat down together and nursed their babies. I admit it's a natural thing to do, but in today's society the female breast has somehow become a sexual pleasure to grown men, even a fetish to some...and if the mothers realize just how dangerous this action could be to themselves they may think twice ---seriously, if this were to happen in the right place and the right time, some deranged man could see this and...well, bodily harm could come to that nursing mother and baby in her car when she leaves the building...or could be followed home by that whacko!! I agree that women have every right to nurse in public...but NOT to expose their mammary glands to those who are dining in a public establishment, or any other place of business for that matter.  And, I have told them my thoughts, personally, before and after I've finished telling them the possibilities, they thanked me for pointing that out and they told me they'd never thought of that scenario happening to them yet they now realized the situation they put themselves in and their baby.  Afterall, WE ARE NOT living in the caveman era; -a communal atmosphere-. There are some boundaries/common sense usage to live by in my opinion. Cover 'em, ladies, please, or use a breast pump and a bottle for the times you're in a public restaurant!!!  And on the other side of the table here...I would not appreciate a male having his shirt open to expose his body parts at a restaurant either!!  "No shirts, no service".  Oh, and a man, stopping to pee on the side of a building in a downtown area is considered exposure...yet, that too is a natural thing for us all.  To me, breast feeding is exposure in a public environment.

80 comments :

  1. Your mom's song is one I hadn't thought of in so long- love reliving that memory!

    And liver still makes me cringe, no matter how it's cooked.

    I might add to your thoughts on self exposure- no butt cracks, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes...no butt cracks indeed.

      Delete
  2. Oh Anni, lovely captures and reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Anni...I love coming here...your posts always are so interesting and makes me think about the subjects you have going.
    The photos of the birds in water are just wonderful...should send them to a bird magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of bloggers have suggested I send off some of my birding photos....thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I love your photos, the heron is a beauty!

    I also agree with the first comment...no butt cracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Cheryl. And yes, you and Shelly made a great point. No butt cracks.

      Delete
  5. Your bird reflections are terrific! And I had forgotten that sweet little song, thanks for bringing it back to mind. I bet it has been over 20 years since I thought of it. Great news about your daughter! What she major in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Ginny...I added a note that this question is about Joyce's daughter not mine!!

      Delete
  6. YOU TAKE THE BEST WILDLIFE PHOTOS...HAVE YOU EVER SUBMITTED ANY TO BIRDS AND BLOOMS?!!
    I WAS A NURSING MOTHER IN 1971...BUT I ALWAYS FED THE BABY BEFORE WE LEFT THE HOUSE. I'LL NEVER FORGET ABOUT 3 YEARS LATER MY HUBBY'S COUSIN AND HER FAMILY JOINED US FOR LUNCH AT HIS PARENT'S HOUSE. HIS DAD NEARLY FAINTED WHEN HIS NIECE STARTED NURSING AT THE LUNCH TABLE AND SHE DID NOT COVER UP EITHER.
    I CAN STILL SEE HIS FACE
    HUGS c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...In my opinion, as I stated, there is a place and time, and a public area isn't one. LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow, that reflection is almost perfect in those pictures, Anni. I always appreciate your view on things, and I tend to agree with you about breastfeeding in public, but I'm not sure we need laws, just common sense. You had me smiling at most of your comments, so... well, so Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you enjoy my blog D-J!!! Y'know, a song comes to mind 'bout now..."I gotta be me, what else can I be?".........

      Delete
  8. Another great hodge podge! Your photos are beautiful and I agree with everything you said. Cinnamon and chili are great together. I nursed all of my kids, but not out in the open! We don't always need to let it all hang out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....ironic, I asked Bud what he thought of breastfeeding in public, and he said the exact same words. Women don't always need to let it all hang out.

      Oh yes, chili and cinnamon. Yum.

      Delete
  9. Anni, your birds and reflection shots are beautiful. Bad drivers make me mad and crazy! And I love cinnamon too, your apple dumplings look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those dumplings WERE delicious. Oh bad drivers, don't get me started on that.

      Delete
  10. those pictures are absolutely stunning! The reflections, the stillness of the water and the birds themselves are just so pretty. BTW, yes, I did write the sailor piece on my blog and thank you for your kind words about it. I have only just started writing again after decades of being rather quiet about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...THAT was awesome!!! You should write more!!!!!

      Delete
  11. A lovely serie!
    Great for WBE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bird photos are so classy Anni--they remind me of Oriental art. And what a perfect day to catch reflections and these birds really lend themselves to being "repeated" on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...Oriental Art. That in itself is classy. Thanks for the compliment Faye.

      Delete
  13. Great bird shots - I love black-necked stilts, and I saw my first tri-colored heron this past winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tri-color is my favorite heron.

      Delete
  14. really awesome reflections and still water shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute song that your mom sang to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a 'catchy' tune!! :o)

      Delete
  16. I'm loving your bird shots! Shore birds are so graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the herons. The idea of not being able to have a women only event would drive me nuts. Sometimes I like to hang out with women, nursing or not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another provocative and great post, Anni. You get your birds to cooperate for you so well it's like they are trained. Very nice reflective shots.

    I remember that song from my childhood too! How ironic.

    My mother used to make liver and onions a couple times a month and I skipped dinner every time. I cannot stand it til this day. However I used to hate asparagus as a kid but love it today lightly sautéed in butter with minced garlic.

    I agree with the breast feeding rant...I posted once about being in line at Walmart once Sunday morning and the lady behind me with 5 kids and a baby (yeah!) just knelt down and started feeding while her husband manned the cart and watch the other kids. My most unique Walmart experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Walmart can be such a drag. LOL I remember this post of yours. It boggles my mind sometimes....people.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful shots of the gulls and herons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful waterbirds and the reflections make them twice as nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...twice as nice, I like you're thinking Mick.

      Delete
  21. Hi Anni...Love those bird shot's and the calm water reflections!! Love how all the different birds are together!!

    I remember singing that little fishy song as a kid!!

    I love your thought on the Marine Corp hahaha ya you got a point there !!

    I hated celery ,but now I love it!! Beans on a Saturday night, which I would give anything to have a pot of beans the way Mom made then now!!

    People who think they are the only one shopping, and you finally have to say "excuse me please I would like to get by can you move your cart, and get the blank stare back!! grrr

    Breast feeding in public, well if they want to have at it, but I think it is not necessary!! Good grief I even covered up pretty much in my own home breast feeding!!


    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace....it's funny in a good way how we remember things/foods from our youth, the love hate. I always liked celery stuffed with Velveeta cheese. Yum.

      Delete
  22. I'm with you...Marines do want a few good MEN. And it should stay that way. Sorry your heart meds are doing that to you. Have you told your doc and has he thought of trying something else? Love, love cinnamon and chili powder, though not together...and I don't think I would like a cinnamon roll dipped in chili....too afraid to find out! I know what she's talking about with the word chevron...it's zig-zags to decorate. I can take it or leave it. I still dislike everything I disliked as a child because I won't try them again. I don't see the need to. I still won't eat liver. YUCK! I was forced as a child to eat it and prunes and asparagus, and now, I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole!! I can CHOOSE not to....and I do! Nice thing about being an adult. :)

    I was a nursing mother. NEVER would nurse in public....not because I thought it unnatural, but I thought it to be rude...reason? It makes OTHER people uncomfortable. I had the RIGHT to nurse in public, but chose not to so as not to offend others. Just as I would not go spouting off four letter words in a nursing home. I wouldn't want to offend those elders. My parents taught me to think of the feelings of others. Maybe those women who went to the restaurant to protest never were taught good manners by their parents....just told they had "rights". Well, the other people have rights, too. And they are infringing on them. Leave the restaurant and go to the car and cover up even there.....if you don't feel a bottle is ever appropriate. I took bottles with me. My kids took both breast and bottle. Started them out young being versatile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a breast pump....and a glass bottle. I can't see why they all choose to now expose themselves thinking it's okay. As you say there are others who are offended by this while they're dining.

      Delete
  23. Fabulous shots! I love the reflections.

    Worse than a man peeing in public is a woman doing it. A man can hide "it" behind something, a woman not so much. I agree about the no butt cracks too. I wish people would wear clothes that cover all the essential parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes....yes!!! You and I are in total agreement.

      Delete
  24. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gary. Hey? Do you have any more of those sweet blueberries?!!!

      Delete
  25. Hi there - the reflections are wonderful - nice pictures.

    I think single sex gatherings are fine as long as its a gathering of choice rather than exclusion.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember that song too. I'll probably be singing it now : ) Love the bird pics today...nothing like still clear water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a catchy tune! LOL And thanks Joyce for hosting and stopping by today.

      Delete
  27. Beautiful captures of the birds and your apple dumplings look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the dumplings WERE good, if I do say so.

      Delete
  28. Wow...nice photos. I like the reflections !!

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's good to know you enjoyed the reflective bird photos Timur.

      Delete
  29. I can almost smell those apple dumplings. I love anything pretty much made with apples. Loved the bird pictures too. They were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whew! I'm going to think more about the topic of single gender groups and/or events here before commenting thoroughly.
    Childhood song: You Are My Sunshine!
    Favorite spice: Nutmeg when used in custard and applesauce and eggnog.
    Chevrons: No interest at all. Never notice them.
    Dislike as child but like now: Asparagus (when not woody).
    Quickly to irritate: GREED. My things "out of place."
    No nursing in public. No picking teeth or cutting finger or toenails in public.
    Random Thought: Why are people purposefully mean?

    Still thinking about the single gatherings......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy....that is the song I always sang to my daughter!!! And still do.

      Delete
  31. lovely bird friends!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Totally agree with your random thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most do...there is a point to be taken to those that do, that it IS offensive to some just as cigarette smoking is.

      Delete
  33. Those apple dumplings look delicious!
    I think those who participated in a nurse-in probably had good intent but your points are well made. There are ways to breastfeed in public discreetly. There is a difference between breastfeeding and flashing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Anni Great bird shots and wonderful reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  35. HI Anni, Love the shadows and reflections in your bird photos today... Congrats to your daughter. Can she 'use' her degree? So many can't these days!

    I remember "Three Little Fishies" .... The song which came to mind from my childhood (there were many since we were a very musical family) was "I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf-Clover".... Remember that one?

    Some things women do better than men and some things men do better. We all just need to do what we can do and do it well and quit comparing....

    My favorite spice is SeaSalt... We use it now instead of regular salt. SO much better for us.

    Haven't noticed anything around here about Chevrons..... That's a new one to me.

    As a child, I could have learned so much from my sweet mother when it came to her love of flowers.. Back then, I didn't appreciate them. Now--I LOVE them.

    I guess the thing which irritates me most these days is the horrible way that the President and his administration are 'trying' to ruin our country....

    I agree that Nursing Mothers need to cover-up in public....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud and I use sea salt all the time too!! I've even attempted making it once since we've been here.

      Delete
  36. Love the reflections! - Beautiful photos... And - I loved reading your random thoughts too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, Rebecca, I'm glad to know you enjoyed my reflections this week.

      Delete
  37. Boop, boop, dit-tem, dat-tem, what-tem, chu ... I love it and used to sing it to my kids as my mother sang it to me. What a wonderful memory. The song I remember is "Robin in the Cherry Tree ... Sing a Pretty Song to me". I used to sing it, rocking back in forth when my mother took me in the car. I guess cars made me nervous and that is how I dealt with it. And, what brought me over here was your beautiful reflections of the birds in the shore. Love the pictures and a nice variety of birds. Thanks,H'A' ... you made my day.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Andrea. Your positive input made MY day.

      Delete
  38. Stunning photos, Anni! You really should get them published in a bird magazine.
    Fav childhood song - The Lonely Goatherd from The Sound Of Music

    Fave spice - Curry leaves! j just love their tantalising aroma and flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very beautiful reflections, and I like cinnamon too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the herons on the beach! And I agree - whiners and liars get to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh a big congrats to your daughter. It is a lot of work and I remember when I completed mine..many years ago.. LOL.. I love all the beautiful reflection photos as they are perfect for Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.