my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Fragmenting the week...

It's Friday once again. And that means Fragmenting my week. Okay, here goes:

1] Okay, I'm gonna begin my post with a rant... This morning I just read that our Governor...Rick Perry...signed a bill to give the state residents/and school children the 'right to say' "Merry Christmas" in schools and/or allowing the staff/children/parents/students to display anything pertaining to religious freedoms, without the fear of repercussions from anyone else. Read the article here... Now, I'm not one to condone OR condemn this necessary action. My point for sharing this story is for the fact that I feel SAD to know where this country is going on certain subjects and the politically correct stance we have been nearly 'forced' to take. To me, religious freedoms, such as this bill represents, shows me that the government has to waste their taxpayer's money and spend way too much time for a freedom that already exists!! What is wrong with this picture? Isn't America about just this? Religious Freedom; among other freedoms of course?!!! I see nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas, but on the other hand...I also see nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" either. And decorating the grounds of school with a Christmas Tree or perhaps have an egg hunt in Spring...heck, my generation survived and we learned to enjoy and participate in certain activities during certain religious holidays. AND let me also add that some students couldn't participate...that was their prerogative! Teachers, staff, and other students respected their freedoms back in my youth. 'Nough said. It just 'bloggled' my mind on this whole scenario.
    1B] This doesn't have anything to do with the "Merry Christmas Bill" just recently signed, but it has to do with religious freedoms. I remember in high school, we had a student from Pakistan. Her father was a professor at Denver University, in Denver of course. And before y'all go off on a tangent, the family WAS American Citizens!! I distinctly recall that she wasn't allowed to shower in Gym class because of her religious beliefs, and she wore the traditional clothing of her country --NO ONE gave her any gruff about it back then, there was respect for her...yes, yes...I know, 911...it's in our memory, but really, in our country's history there was also the attack on Pearl Harbor in the 1940s and other bombings in the recent past, and today's schools aren't safe [I could go on and on]. I ask, what happened to the people of our world? There is so much hate these days.
2] I was busy this past Wednesday cleaning out clothes closets. I do this twice a year for sure, but sometimes more often. What I don't wear for one season, it is taken off the hangers, and packed in bags and I tote them off to the charity drop off boxes. Once there, I often walk through the thrift store near the box. This time I did, just to get out of the heat for a while. And I found a beautiful Ruby Glass Vase. Bud started me on this. While on our honeymoon, he purchased a beautiful hand blown ruby glass candy dish. That was nearly 45 years ago, and I still have it. Over the years, Ruby Glass, became a passion, and collection. [I also have some pieces of cobalt glass]. Anyway while walking through the store, perusing the shelves of trinkets and household gadgets, I spied this vase; in shock for the price they were asking. I grabbed it quick and took off to the cashier...


...yes, it WAS marked 99 cents. Unbelievable. Not a chip, not any marred areas, etched, handblown, REAL red glass. Not that often seen faux-color where it would rub off in water. I call it my yummy find.

3] Bud and I have been doing some birding. It's muggy, hot, uncomfortable to be out all that long in the day so our trips are short. We did drive to Mustang Island and Port Aransas in hopes of spotting some baby American Coots. But the area we stopped at was nearly barren of birds. A few cormorants and a couple of ruddy ducks - that's about all that was seen on the lake. Except!!!--------the alligators were out and well seen on this particular day. Right out in the open was one. And the poses I got were exceptional if I do say so myself. Once I photographed the 'monstrous beauty' she slowly meandered around the lake and started heading toward the tall reed far, far, far away. But when she go so far, she decided to turn around and head back toward us. As we watched her, she came closer and closer. The cormorants on their perch, flew off in a hurry when she neared them. But, she really showed no interest. The closer she came to us, her massive size astounded me. At one point, she was just a foot away from my feet. Of course I was up on the elevated boardwalk, and she crawled under the boardwalk where Bud and I were standing...we followed. She eventually made her way into the tall reed just inches away from the boardwalk and disappeared. But, I got some photos whilst she made her way to her daytime shaded area [and note the one image...the close up- it's her EYEBALL just above my copyright watermark]...



This one is a 'baby'!!


4] I finished reading Dante's Inferno. I enjoyed it. Surprisingly it was easy to decipher and it was smooth flowing throughout. It ended happily...but the drudgery that he went through throughout the poem, with his guide, was treachery and sadness along with some highly gross descriptive stanzas. I can now know just why it is considered a literary classic.

5] I now picked up a book to read entitled Haunt Me Still, authored by Jennifer Lee Carrell...a Shakespearean Thriller. This book has Lady Macbeth as the 'main interest'. At least so far.

6]...and to share a view of the massive thunderhead clouds looking Southwest toward the city of Corpus Christi, from Port A [Aransas], I show you the sky's beautiful drama...

66 comments :

  1. It is a nice idea to get back to your week and see what you have done. Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sometimes there isn't much I can write about tho, LOL Thanks for stopping by Riet.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, there is a very small minority that seem to be offended by many of our freedoms and want to suppress the exercise of those freedoms through the court system. Then, our lawmakers must waste their time defining our freedoms for us. Of course, on the national level, they haven't been able to agree on a budget in five years! Oh well, loved the Skywatch photo. Have a blessed week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it just irks me that we have to waste so much time on such trivial things and lack of respect to others.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful picture to end with! We have had some gorgeous skies, lately, haven't we? Nothing, not sharks, or snakes, or any other of the like gives me the willies quite like an alligator. So you were on an ELEVATED boardwalk- much braver than I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, elevated. But inches away from those massive jaws.

      Delete
  4. Well, you made me realize finally that there ARE some babies that are not cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what huge teeth you have little one. right?

      Delete
  5. Wonderful shots of the sky and alligators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....glad you enjoyed the images today Carver.

      Delete
  6. It irks me to know why spend so much time on the things that doesn't matter. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...and as Driller stated above in his comment, it's the minority that makes the governments have to work on such trivial matters and waste time and money doing so...when there are MORE important things to govern.

      Delete
  7. I love your "yummy find" and your gator pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! I'm glad you stopped by to introduce yourself.

      Delete
  8. Sky shot is beautiful! Focus on that ~ Need to 'rant' sometimes ~ We are living in a crazy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...crazy times, yes indeed. And I do try and focus on the good most always.

      Delete
  9. Hi Anni, Happy Friday to you. Your red vase is beautiful, great find. I love your gator photos, especially the last shot. And your sky/cloud shot is awesome, great captures.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. Have a great weekend yourself.

      Delete
  10. I'm with you on that rant!
    Love you find - what a deal!
    You alligator shots are great and that cloud is a beauty. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari, and have a super weekend to you and yours! Happy Father's Day to the men in your life.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you've been having a busy time. The sky is so beautiful. I like the croc pics too. Thanks for visiting my NYC post. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Joyful. The pics are of alligators tho, not crocodiles.

      Delete
  12. I love it when you fragment your week. It makes such an interesting read and you make some excellent points. The photos are wonderful too.

    Thanks for stopping by my SWF post and wishing you a great weekend.
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a great weekend to you too Denise!

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni
    Happy Flag day and Fragmented Friday...your fragments are always fun.

    Happy Father's Day to your B too
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed reading my fragments this week...hope the men in your life have a great day Sunday.

      Delete
  14. A fearful sky! You are brave to follow the croc, even though you were OVER him!!! I LOVE the mouth photo with the cool reflection!!!! (the small picture that is the next to last croc picture.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like that one too. Just after I shot this photo you like, she did a head butt into the water and hit the pond bottom with a resounding 'thud'. Territorial gesture.

      It's an alligator by the way.

      Delete
  15. We live close to Ft. Hood, so our schools are full of soldiers' kids. There is every nationality represented in our schools that you can imagine. My son just graduated from high school last year. There were never incidents of prejudice against any of these kids that were from different backgrounds (and there were kids whose parents are from the Middle East). All the kids got along. The trouble comes mostly from adult "rights groups" who have nothing better to do than to hunt out places where they can stir up trouble. The schools no longer had Christmas programs, but they had "winter" programs. Now, I guess they will be able to have a Christmas program....so hurrah for Governor Perry! I do hope that they will also include the other religions for those who do not believe in Christianity. That is their right, also. And I think it promotes understanding for the other religions to be represented. My brother's best friend in school was Jewish. They loved each other and are still great friends now (40 years later). They shared with each other their religions and they agreed to disagree, so to speak, but that friendship was, and still is, strong. It can be done. All you need is love.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, now you're gonna have me humming a Beatles' tune all day. "All you need is love, love, all you need is love".

      Delete
  16. Those gator shots are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the alligator photos.

      Delete
  17. So love all the bits and pieces of your week! I still haven't read Dante's Inferno! School winter holidays are close, so perhaps that will be a good time! And that alligator! What a breath-taking moment to capture some great shots of that guy! And adore your final photo of billowing white clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, what a find at the thrift shop. I wonder if they realized what it was when they were pricing it.
    Very cool shots of the alligator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....that was a 'steal'...

      Delete
  19. Just thought I'd mention that thing in the middle is NOT a bird! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl...I'm glad you pointed that out to me. LOL

      Delete
  20. Amazing alligator shots!! Never seen them this close up, and love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your ruby glass vase is lovely. Loved the alligator pics! And I think politically correctness is sometimes way over-rated. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by. I enjoyed reading your frags too.

      Delete
  22. Your rant on the Christmas Bill struck a chord -- our Nebraska Gov introduced a "no state sales tax" bill last year "just to get the conversation going..." How much did this cost the taxpayers? Torks me off, to put it lightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so know where you're comin' from on so many issues of today's governing styles.

      Delete
  23. You are such an interesting lady with SO many varied interests! Your posts are as fascinating as YOU are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...why thank you Linda, you make me blush. And I'm in the computer room alone. :o)

      Delete
  24. It's the same here in the UK Anni - falling over backwards to pander to the minority who don't give a fig for Britain - don't get me started please. Anyway you had a busy week with your thoughts and your birding and alligatoring. I would love to have seen that big gator but maybe that's why you didn't see too many coots and wildfowl? Sounds like the Cormorants know the score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me then...a cup of tea and a sit down chat about what the world needs to be a better place?!! We could do well for our countries.

      Delete
  25. The alligators are interesting critters, but I'm so glad we don't have them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you....y'know I've always wanted to live in Ireland for the fact that stories tell me there are no snakes!! I could easily think of moving to YOUR country too, then.

      Delete
  26. Hello Anni....thank you very much for your comment on my blog :)

    You´re photos are amazing...Wonderful ! These Alligators... WOW !!

    Now i follow your blog....

    Greetings from Germany to Texas...I Love the USA !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...isn't the internet and blogging wonderful? Just think...from Germany to Texas, all within minutes.

      Delete
  27. I´m with you on your rants. A lot is going wrong.
    I´m happy with you for the glas bargain and I really
    envy you for your alligators. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as for the rants, that makes two of us then.

      And, thanks Pia. Glad you enjoyed the alligator images.

      Delete
  28. You are one busy person! And, I would have snatched up that vase, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I try and keep active when I can.

      Delete
  29. That red glass find is wonderful. Your alligator shots are really fantastic. I'm fine with Merry Christmas even though I say Happy Holidays. There's room for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for summer hosting!!!

      Delete
  30. die Wolke ist schon gigantisch und das Tierchen Wasser..habe großen Respekt vor dieser Art
    LG vom katerchen der Danke sagt für diese schönen Bilder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, that cloud WAS huge!!

      Delete
  31. That is a very nice trip and wonderful shots of alligator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the alligator images Rajesh.

      Delete
  32. An almost quiet week in Lake Wobe...., oopsie, near Port A! ;-)

    I enjoyed reading about your week and l o v e the picture of the big sky with the enormous clouds.

    ReplyDelete

.