“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





...a letter to my dad

Hi Dad. It's your youngest, me, Anni! I just thought I'd drop you a line or two to let you know even after all these years since your passing, I still miss you. Your antics, your jokes, your smiles and your wonderful outlook on life was always something I looked forward to with our visits. You managed to keep us kids all in line and teaching us to enjoy the things we had and never once covet those who had more. Your strong will was our strength!

Bud and I, as you probably know somehow, are now living in Texas. And I think oftentimes how you'd love to be with us and do the work in our yard. I just know you'd have the lawn manicured to perfection and the roses would be saucer sized. You had a knack for gardening. It rubbed off onto me, but I don't think I could hold a candle to your expertise. Oh ya, I know how you detested the humidity. It's strong right now, thick as pea soup you'd say. Trust me, it's like stepping into a sauna 'bout now once the door is open and making your way around town. But we could always hook up the boat on the bumper hitch and drive a few minutes and the two of us could load the gear into the boat, start up the motor, skim over the water out into the bay, and pop open the cooler and just sit, laze around the whole day and fish!! Remember all the long weekends how we'd go fishing and camping? Those memories are with me forever. If we don't catch anything, we could catch up on all the years we've not been together. We could talk about mom and your love for each other. I miss her terribly too. We could talk about Dillon and his love of the game of chess. He's quite good y'know. In fact he's been to several local, state, and national tournaments. Irene is doing well. She keeps herself busy with work and the boys. Clint is happy, working. He adores his mom, Irene. Erik is teaching at the college level now and also into real estate. There has been so much violence at the Texas Colleges these days, I fear for his life sometimes. But he too is strong and continues to strive. He's working on a PhD in Political Science now. Bud, of course, he misses you too. The two of you got along so well, it was always, from day one, like you two were blood related!!

Well, I best get to the man in my life. I miss you dad. And when you get a chance, give mom a hug from me!!
Love you,
with all my heart...
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY
Anni


28 comments :

  1. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, bless your heart. I can tell how much you loved each other from this letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we did have a bonding, a special bond.

      Delete
  3. What a great post !!

    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very lovely. I am so glad you had such a great dad and that he lives on in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that he does, in so many ways.

      Delete
  5. What a great tribute to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful thing to do! Writing a letter to my dad never even occurred to me, but it will now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it just popped into my head as I sat down at the computer desk. I could've written a book.

      Delete
  7. Lovely tribute to your Dad, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet way to celebrate fathers day. I never thought of doing something like this but it's a great idea. There's a lot of catching up I could do with my dad too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your father is passed on too?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. ...family love and memories...indeed.

      Delete
  10. This made me shed a few tears. My dad was much like yours. We were truly blessed, weren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's difficult for me some days while others I think of such fond memories I have to smile.

      Delete
  11. That's a beautiful letter to your Dad Anni.
    Wishing you a great day,
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your day is simply the best to you too, Denise.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful tribute to your dad. It brought tears to my eyes.
    My dad and I were never that close and it made me sad about that.
    I love your new header.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sharon. What have YOU been up to doing these days? I miss you not being able to blog. Ever consider going to the library and logging into your blog?!!!

      Delete
  13. What a lovely post Anni! I am lucky enough to still have my Dad, although he doesn't live close by, we talk every second day or so and I always remember to tell him I love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I wish my dad were still around....so very often.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful words from the heart.

    ReplyDelete

.