my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



This is the dawning of Aquariums...aquariums

I seem to have lost track of what day of the week it is. Oh no worries, that happens quite often these days. It appears that each day just runs into the next without any awareness if it's Monday, Saturday or whatever day of the week. Holidays throw me off track...
So, no matter what day it is today, I'll just post something. rofl. By the way, the last two days it's been drizzling a cold rain. The temps have dropped dramatically...finally South Texas is having a bit of wintry weather. I'm contemplating starting a fire in the fireplace instead of having the furnace run. I like the cozy feeling a fire gives off. Once daylight hits here, I just may sit down by the fire, and read. Just relax and take the day easy...doing nothing much. Just enjoying being home, having my chores done 'til next time, making myself a bowl of hot potato soup for lunch and have some soft music piped in to give off a good vibe for the day.....


While we had our company, I really didn't take too much time out to take photos. So busy we were, catching up on all the years since we've not seen each other in person!! But I did manage to remember taking the camera with us when we all went to the Texas State Aquarium near the port of call area and the ship channel!! We all took the walking tour provided that gives us a glimpse of all Gulf waters' ecosystem....




...from fish life, mammals, rays, frogs, sea horse, jelly fish, snakes, birds found along the coastal areas, sharks, and more. Here the three amigos...Sharon, Bud [in the middle], and Al were reading and viewing an exhibit of one particular aquarium filled with fish and sharks.



After touring the inside of the many many displays and aquariums, we settled down at the outdoor arena area to watch the dolphin show. On this day they had two dolphins...Shadow and Kai. At one time, in the distant past, there were three Atlantic Bottlenose dolphins --the other, D.J., passed away from age most likely. Anyway, I tried to get a couple of photos of the dolphins. They were a difficult subject to get any good 'action' photos since they were up out of the water, doing tricks, and instantly back in...way too fast paced for a delayed shutter...
...During the show, I stepped down a bit so I could get a picture of my sister and her hubby...instead of watching the pool, their eyes followed me!! All kinds of wrong. LOL Anyway, this is Sharon and Al. Once back up from the amphitheater seating, we all continued to enjoy the performance. Dolphins are so amazing...intelligent and friendly. At least with people they know and trust. I would most definitely not try this in the open waters. I'm sure they're less subdued in the wild!!
Bottlenose are grey, varying from dark grey at the top near the dorsal fin to very light grey and almost white at the underside. This countershading makes them hard to see, both from above and below, when swimming. Adults range in length between 6.6 and 13 ft, and in weight between 330 and 1,400 lb. Their size varies with habitat. Dolphins in warmer, shallower waters tend to be smaller than those in cooler waters. One study of a population off Sarasota, Florida indicated an average lifespan of 20 years or less. Some state lifespan up to 40 years.
It was a beautiful winter's day here in South Texas to be there at the Aquarium. Sunny, clear, a little chill in the air...but all in all...perfect. Off to the right of the seating area, through the canopied patio, in the distance, you can look through the harbor bridge and see some of the oil refineries...I loved the blue sky and the white cloud of exhaust/steam coming out of the refineries' towers, drifting to the west caused by a slight breeze. Pretty.




14 comments :

  1. I hope you enjoy your day off. I am praying we will have sunshine here. I want to go on a photo hunt.

    We have had freezing temps. and drizzle here since Christmas and I am tired of it. Although, we too, need the rain. Our pond is about gone.

    I love the shots as I always do. Happy day!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you have a pond? How wonderful. Wish we had something like that. It most definitely would attract more wildlife [birds more specifically]

      Delete
  2. I love dolphins. They are indeed very smart and make for a good show. Now you've got that song going around in my head (the Age of Aquarius). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...neat song to be sure. And I too love dolphins.

      Delete
  3. I love dolphins. I remember seeing an above-ground pool with dolphins in it when we visited the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 1969 ... not long before Camille hit. I always wonder what happened to those dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are superior in every way, dolphins are!!

      Delete
  4. LOL Anni as my daughter likes to say every day is a weekend day for you...
    What a lovely visit you had. I love aquariums.
    Hugs C and Madi the Diva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'a weekend day everyday'...yep, that's about what it is. LOL

      Delete
  5. Sitting by a nice fire with a good book sounds very appealing to me. I'm totally screwed up on what day of the week it is right now. Hopefully by next week I'll be back on track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. holidays'll do that to a person.

      Delete
  6. Very cold here in Dallas but no precip so that's okay with me. After my Ohio excursion with a foot of snow for a week, this not so bad.

    Unlike you I would up with a load of really crappy pictures. Cold weather kept me from staying discipline on camera settings as the scene changed. Oh well, that 's why digital is so great.

    Looks like a nice visit to the aquarium, Anni. Glad you enjoyed your visitors and quality family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind cold...I don't mind rainy days....but having them both at the same time is all kinds of wrong. LOL

      Delete

.