“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






By cracky...I think I've got it.

Not often do I promote a product. I always take note that my opinion is hardly ever what others think, so I refrain from handing out free publicity to any certain item being sold; retail. Tastes are not always what others would like. But...Several weeks ago, while going through the grocery store aisles, I happened to catch a glimpse of a display case at the end/or beginning of one lane that said "Made in Texas". Well, naturally, being a Texan [I wasn't born here, but got here as quickly as I could], I had to stop and take notice. The display case was filled with small snack-sized bags of "Poppers"...with the name large in print and quite prideful...Texas "FIRECRACKERS". There were two flavors...original and Chipotle Lime. I reached for one bag of the 'original recipe'....got home and opened them to snack on while putting the groceries away. They're shaped just like oyster/soup crackers...a great size for snackin'.

says Anni: "Oh Bud, you should try these crackers. They're darned good!!"
Bud grabs just one from the bag and comments they ARE good.
Munchin' away on another handful...
Anni comments: "I think they'll become my newest addiction."
There's a little kick to them. A bit spicy and tasty like the spirit of Texas!! After the initial awakening of the zest and zip, you won't be able to just eat one. [Unless you don't like fiery foods]

Well, I'll tellya right now, they ARE addictive, goes well with soups, chili, beer and margaritas. I'm hooked. And I just KNOW since I love 'em so, they're probably not good for me. Anything I like [processed snack foods] are quite unhealthy I'm sure. But, if there has to be one vice I couldn't give up so easily, these are it. It's quoted as this being said about them for over a century: "They’re kinda' hot and darn good, can I have another?"

And they're now sold in a lot of grocery retailers and convenience stores throughout Texas. But, the reason I'm posting about these delicious devils...anyone can now buy them online and have them shipped to their homes.

Where to buy in Texas: Listings
or
Purchase them: ONLINE

Also worth reading if you're interested: The recipe began with a Cherokee Indian, during the days of Sam Houston.

Oh....and by the way, I found this nutrition info online:
[click to enlarge]

[the sodium content is a bit high....but could be worse I guess...just consume plenty of fluids to wash out the salt from you system...and you're good to go] -pun intended!!!


connecting to:
Friday Fragments

18 comments :

  1. Yes, it could be worse, Anni. The calories seem a bit high for such tiny little things, too! I wonder if I could even get them here. I'll see... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but 51 crackers...that's a heckuva lot o' crackers in one sittin'.

      Delete
  2. Anything spicy sounds great to me and I love my home state of Texas too. I wish I were down on the coast right this minute with camera in hand!

    Happy weekend Anni and I will try to find these!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, me too. Spicy and hot, with lots of zing.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like something I would like, and as you said, 51 crackers is a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....that amount would be THREE servings for me...not one serving.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your crackers. I am enjoying my new Christmas present to myself: an ice cream maker. That's fattening, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you say ice cream maker? Oh, I'll be there!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh Mom's mouth is watering...she loves handy snacks with a slight bite to them.
    Happy Friday,
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're delicious. And, Hugs right backatcha you two.

      Delete
  6. I'm totally intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you've become intrigued...you can add that to you 2013 list. ;o)

      Delete
  7. Bet we can't get them up here. I love little crackers --but have to be careful --or I'll eat the 'whole thing'.... That's one of my downfalls--so we don't keep chips and crackers in the house much... But--the calorie count is not bad considering some of the other things we eat.... Thanks. I'll look for them.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you can't find 'em in your stores, you can order them online...I have a link in the post for anyone interested.

      Delete
  8. By cracky they're good!

    I wouldn't really know, never having tasted any, I'm just repeating what you said 'cause I LIKE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was clever this morning when I posted the title. rofl

      Delete
  9. They sound good but since I'm not a big fan of hot and spicy I doubt that I would like them. Sure is a generous serving size on them. That I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

.