my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Posting Wednesday's good stuff on Tuesday Afternoon!

I'm running behind 'cause of the video of bird photos that I've been working on since Friday....it's done. Now, tomorrow morning I'll catch up with all of you ---sorry for the lack of participating in visiting everyone. On with the wordless and hodgepodge post then----






WORDLESS



Foggy morning...


connecting to:
Jackie's Wordless Wednesday



- - -


HODGEPODGE
Our fearless leader, Joyce, has these questions for us:


1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly. Is he right? I think so, personally. This idiom; it works for me. Altho, anyone can misconstrue the meaning and revise the saying: "Revenge never tasted so sweet" ---a classic example where you don't get mad, you get even; in a subtle way of course...hehehehe. Or, with the 'war' - I'm thinking WWII...our country had to retaliate the bombing of Pearl Harbor, right? Sometimes, being deceitful can be successful...America got Japan to surrender. And in all truthfulness, I've worked, on occasion, a cunning plan designed to turn situations to my advantage.

clip courtesy of google search


2. Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind? I like cereal okay, but not 'crazy over it'. My favorite box cereal is Post Cranberry Nut. Hot cereal is apple cinnamon oatmeal.

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles). She did not have the gun with her at school. A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts? In my thoughts, I will probably come across quite contradictive of my own ideas, so bear with me. In most ways, I think it's a bit 'reaction overboard"; teachers are bound to overreact these days as schools have recently become a place of violence, I can understand that part...yet, then, on the other hand, something must be done to dissuade talk of this nature at such a young age too, so there are mixed emotions about the whole thing. I don't like the dictating and politics these days when it comes to interfering with family life, but again...something should be done with talk like this...it WAS a verbal threat....even if the so called 'gun' was a toy. That is beside the point in my opinion. If I said something slanderous or maligned back in 'my time' as a youngster, the teacher would sit me in the corner for the rest of the day...lesson learned. But 'my day' was a whole lot different. And don't get me started on these so called psychological evaluations...one or two hours of talking with a child is NOT gonna give the doctor a clear emotional picture!!!! What I'm seeing these days, is lack of parental guidance! Being a parent is a JOB and in order to succeed, you need to be there with discipline and nurturing, guiding a child to become a responsible adult!! You can't just shuck out offspring and then let the child grow up on their own. By the way, I am NOT for gun control. "They" say guns kill people... I say to that: "If that's so, then why do patrons come out alive after attending gun shows?" And from a post a few weeks back, I AM one of those red dots in Texas!!  I respect my property...AND we own guns.

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________? Oh my this is really gonna age me. It's the first thing that came to mind!! There is a song by The Statler Brothers, "Whatever happened to Randolph Scott?" ---and thing is, I KNOW who Randolph Scott was!!! I'm older than dirt I tellya.

5. January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil. Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive? This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to? My handwriting is pretty okay. I can make cursive look good if I take the time to form my letters. Sometimes tho, my signature looks as tho I'm a doctor filling out a patient's Rx. My printing is okay, probably looking a bit more neat. The last thing I signed was on the back of a check we received for a Christmas gift.

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love? I'm not much on travel any more...the packing, the reservations, the itineraries, the tours, eating habits broken and not good, sitting for long periods at a time driving here or there, airport security and gobs of laundry afterward, so if it's not within the state of Texas, I have no desire to go back to Philadelphia or anywhere. On the other hand, I might change my whole thoughts for a few places to make a return trip...like D.C. or San Diego. Two of my favorite cities in America. But, as a whole, my lifestyle when it comes to travel is quite stagnant, and I'm happy with it...did a lot of traveling when I was younger all over USA and Hawai'i...that's plenty.

7. Share something funny you've heard a child say. What comes to mind, a long time ago, my son was playing with his Lego™ set one night while we watched National Geographic about animal instincts...not even looking at the program, but obviously listening, Erik said "I know what 'stinks'...monkeys stink."

8. Insert your own random thought here.   In case you're curious, and don't really know who Randolph Scott was [see question #4 above]...an actor from long ago [read more]...this is a photo of Randolph Scott in his hey-day acting career:


photo courtesy of FindAGrave

PARTIAL LYRICS [see #4]:
    Whatever happened to Randolph Scott ridin' the trail alone? Whatever happened to Gene and Tex, and Roy, and Rex, the Durango Kid? Oh, Whatever happened to Randolph Scott, his horse plain as could be? Whatever happened to Randolph Scott has happened to the best of me.

connecting to:
Wednesday Hodgepodge

50 comments :

  1. The only meme I do is the Photo hunt on Saturday. Plus I'm taking part in January cleaning challenge...But I enjoy reading your HodgePodge bit...I have a flower bed I refer to as "Hodgepodge" which all the plants I got free.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora...I just read your post, and I'm amazed at your 'give'!!! Well done.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photo!
    I always enjoy your hodgepodge. I also remember the Randolph Scott song but didn't know what he looked like. He was good looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. Good looking and old enough to be my grandfather. LOL

      Delete
  3. I remember Randolph Scott, but can't remember if I have ever seen one of his films. I adore your large bird in the fog. Frame it and hang it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your foggy morning photo and yes, monkeys stinks (i think too). hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...they DO stink, don't they?

      Delete
  5. Hi Anni, I remember Randolph Scott... Guess that makes me older than dirt too!!! ha

    My handwriting is not that good since I'm a lefty!!!!!

    I like cereal okay---and when we eat it, we mix several cereals together. I go for the All-Bran, Grape Nuts,etc. types --but also love Cheereos....

    A child also got suspended for pointing his finger at another child. Think they are carrying things too far!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep...panic will do that...and confusion and mix-up reactions are the outcome. Sadly. I like the idea of mixing cereal. Okay, so that makes two of us that can say we're older than dirt. LOL

      Delete
  6. I think I am older than you and I don't remember Randolph Scott. It could be because I've lost so many memories that it leaked out while I wasn't looking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya gotta watch those memories, they tend to go out when you're not looking. ;o)

      Delete
  7. Haven't had time to read or post - just making a quick stop here to catch up! Don't handwrite much any more - always on computer. And yes, occasionally I eat cereal - Cheerios!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, it was a nice surprise to see you pay me a visit in all your troubled, stressful days in the recent past!!

      Delete
  8. You are not the only one to mention Randolph Scott today : ) His name has popped up on a couple I've read this morning. Love your photo-will you be posting your bird video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could make a shorter version of my bird photos and have it on youtube. You're one of several that asked. Thanks for the compliment, and being interested in my birding obsession.

      Delete
  9. I SO miss catching up with everyone! I think, after the beginning of February, when we return home, I will be back on a regular schedule! I love participating in the memes, but I found that they took up so much time, I felt like I was rushing just to comment. I much prefer having time to follow and comment on my friends. Love that photograph - so serene! As for gun control...let's just say I do NOT want the government coming here to confiscate MY guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Linda}}} Hope you're doing well. It's always great to see that you stopped in to say hello.

      Delete
  10. your heron is beauuuuuutiful!

    as for the bubblegum gun... how can the powers that be, who pour violence down the throat of anyone who watches a tv, fault a KID, who is just following what she's see there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes...you really hit the nail on the head there Shadow!!!

      Delete
  11. ... pressed the wrong button. to end off, i think we should all lighten up a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's America these days...tangent actions without much thought.

      Delete
  12. Agree with you on #3. Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...yes...that makes two of us!

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni. I love your photo of the heron in the fog. That's a just a dreamy shot. You're not as old as you think or I am older than I think. I do remember The Statler Brothers, this song and, Randolph Scott! If that makes me old then I guess I am.

    As for the child and the gun I agree with you 100%. You have stated it much clearer than I did in my post but I think we are both going in the same direction. I was born and raised in Texas and now reside in Oklahoma which is also a big gun state.

    I am not for gun control. I think our 2nd amendment rights may just be the most precious one we have. Without the 2nd amendment we can never be positive we can protect all of our other rights. Our fore fathers added that amendment for a reason.

    I won't get started on a rave either about parenting or gun control. I believe almost exactly as you do in regards to gun control, parenting and the little girl. My daughter is a teacher and has been for 12 years. She will tell you that even in just 12 years, students have become much more aggressive and, less and less respectful, or fearful of the law!

    Hooray for you and your project. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, but I doubt whether anyone will see the finished DVD....it's just way too big.

      Delete
  14. Cute answer to #7...and he made a very valid point, I must say! My parents used to listen to that Statler Brothers song all the time...brings back warm memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...being raised with westerns on TV, this came to my mind first thing.

      Delete
  15. I used to watch Randolph Scott on TV when cowboy shows were popular. Remember Gunsmoke and Ponderosa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, my dad loved westerns.

      Delete
  16. Cute Blog. Interesting questions. Makes one think...I like that in a blog. BTW, I love Pepe Le Pew my family and I quote him often! LOL. Thanks for stopping by for the Scavenger Hunt. I might have put the wrong link up. Who knows girl. http://www.livinlifewithpurpose.com/2013/01/photo-scavenger-hunt.html
    But do look around and see if you like anything else. I am all about empowering women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a chance to view your hunt images...thanks for adding the correct link here, for me.

      Delete
  17. Hi Anni
    I love the crane picture on a fogy morning!!

    thank you so much for visiting today for Pip's Bucket Tour of NC. He is a most special little friend is facing some serious healthy issues....this tour is giving him a chance to meet all of his buds and budettes!!
    He is also my Date to Blogville Valentine Ball
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked my foggy morning breakdown. LOL

      Delete
  18. PS
    Everyone just loves my new header.
    It is very mayoral looking.
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know what - and this is the truth - at least here in GA - they are not teaching cursive to the kids anymore! No need with computers they say. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...this is such a terrible thing to read.

      Delete
  20. Anni, I love your heron in the fog scene, very pretty photo. And you must be ready for Valentine's Day, cute header! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fog in your photo. I love the generic version of frosted minin wheats. I feel like I am eating healthy with the wheat, but it is still so yummy.
    It's crazy what some kids get away with when others get in trouble for talking about a toy. Ugh! I get so frustrated with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this whole thing about violence is just pure frustration for me too. All of it.

      Delete
  22. I agree with your answer to numebr 3 (though I am pro-gun control - I don't think it needs to be 'no guns at all', but I think there needs to be more control of what can be owned, who can own it and how they can access it?)

    Monkeys DO stink. And sometimes they fling poo... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sophie, for some reason not in my control, I'm not able to leave a comment for your Hodgepodge post. :o(

      Delete
  23. Can't say that I recall Randolph Scott but he sure is a handsome fella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes he was...and now that he's gone, some say he was bi-sexual. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  24. That was quite a read, Anni. I had no idea who Randolph Scott was...and still don't! Favorite cereal is Kashii Vanilla Island with almond milk and agave nectar...MANNA FROM HEAVEN!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you and my son...he LOVES Kashi cereals.

      Delete
  25. Nice shot of the bird!

    ReplyDelete

.