“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Fragmenting my Friday


  • I've been extremely lazy and lacking in any energy this week so far!! I am not used to it. I haven't felt much like doing anything...and that's being online much. I check my emails for the day, and that's about it. I've been way too preoccupied with reading a good book. I want to just sit around, lay around and READ!!! Glance over on my sidebar to see what I'm reading....surprise, it's NOT a novel...it's non-fiction this time; lovin' it.
  • We went birding on the 4th, really early. And then stopped at Wal Mart on the way home. That was the whole excitement for the holiday.
  • Our neighbor asked me if I wanted a little shelf? Me? Not accepting something FREE? I said 'of course'....she handed it over. It has been in her garage for a long time, obviously, it was really dirty and some webs under the shelf...I cleaned it and Bud put it up on the wall in the master bedroom...I placed all my small Gone With The Wind figurines on it...it was like the shelf was meant to hold them. And I must admit, I love the ornate routing that goes with the shape of this small treasure!!
  • Yesterday, after listening to the song I chose for the week on Themesong, and, if you've been following my blog for several years, you know I have a strong 'fixation' with this particular entertainer!! I told Bud: "Too bad he can't live forever and we can all, for generations to come, continue to hear his wonderful voice". Bud agreed. We were lucky enough to see him in concert, live, while living in Tucson. I was just so amazed at the man's musical talents. Anyway, while talking about him, we both wondered if he retired since we haven't heard many of his songs lately. Of course, it would help if we listened to the radio or kept track of his career. LOL As I was reading his short biographical page on wikipedia, about his birth, career, family, marriages and divorces, along with his life threatening health issue of thyroid cancer that would have taken his beautiful voice away from us fans, I actually read the entire page. Speaking of his children, wives and lost marriages... I read a quote of his, near the bottom. It goes this way: "Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house." Now I'm wishin' that he wouldn't like me at all if we were to meet. Alas, he did remarry in 2007. Coming back to the song I had embedded for the day..."I Am Sailing". It's one of my favorites, and I've oftentimes mentioned I would like that song played with his voice....singing it, at my funeral. It's just a fitting song of a lost life and those left behind and to those we will meet again in another life.
  • And, I realize that embedding an MP3 with autoplay enabled isn't really good blogging protocol, I take the coding off at the beginning of the next day's blogging. If you'd like to hear the song, I Am Sailing, it's here.
  • For all those who crochet, and like making afghans...and like the ripple design, there is a new free pattern for a rippled granny square afghan...it looks attractive and simple to do...LINK
  • ....I promise, I'll get to paying y'all a visit today!!!! I feel embarrassed to admit my lax style this week!!!
  • One more thing that's been on my mind for the last couple of days....there is rumor that Romney will have Condi Rice be his running mate....If she does, I think maybe Romney will have a goodly chance of winning the election!!! After the last four years --------I'm all for it!!!











  • [Rod Stewart is one of my pencil sketches]
    CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea

    34 comments :

    1. Well, I am glad to know you were just feeling lazy and NOT mad at me! lol... I am getting ready to take a break from blogging - going to FL to visit my mom and have decided that I will not post or read much while I am with her - just do whatever she wants to do! That pencil sketch of Rod is VERY good! I am very impressed! I am just learning to draw and have NOT attempted people, nor will I most likely. Just still life so far...and a few flowers. Have a great weekend -

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...this book is so good, I don't want to put it down. I'm almost done with it, and that is highly unusual for me to do nothing but read. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the compliment on my sketch. No.......I could never be mad at you. LOL

        Delete
    2. I thought of you as birds splashed in my tree watering pools (because of the drought, I leave the hose by each tree for a long while), and I appreciated the birds and their joy. However, I don't like that they pay for this splash experience with poop on my front walk!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Awwwwwww, at least you thought of me.

        Delete
    3. I'm sure your FAVORITE Rod Stewart song is "If you think I'm sexy, and you want my body, come on baby let me know!"

      Right?

      Oh I do kid.

      Is your feeling of lethargy due to HOT HOT HOT temps? 'Cause if it is, I totally get it - - - I got in my car in the garage yesterday and it was 113 IN THE STINKIN' GARAGE. That is UNHEARD OF here in Central Wisconsin.

      Of course, it was a few degrees cooler outside once I opened the garage door - - - like 100.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ....ya. LOL...that song too. Oh I know, this heat is oppressive.

        Delete
    4. I've been feeling lazy all week, too. I've been quilting, working jigsaw puzzles and playing on the computer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You've been more energetic than I have been it seems.

        Delete
    5. I like Rod Stewart too. He's got a great last name, don't you think? :-)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Love your pencil sketch! And I don't think there's a single thing wrong with getting completely lost in reading. I did that last Saturday, and it felt like such a luxury, but I'm planning to do it again tomorrow. :) Have a relaxing weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do know that this book was so good, I want to read more on the subject of Hitler now. Weird, huh?

        Delete
    7. Your pencil sketch is wonderful! He really is talented - maybe not so much a at marriage, but at music for sure. :)
      I hadn't heard the rumors of Condi Rice, but I like that idea.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, at least she comes across as a very educated woman. We need someone that will straighten things up.

        Delete
    8. I also like the voice of Rod and your sketch is wonderful.
      I have been dragging also and I think it is from the heat and humidity.
      It is just so hard to breath and move these days.
      They are talking about a cool down for us. Hey!!! back in the 80s
      Have a wonderful weekend.
      Hugs

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You have a wonderful weekend sweet Sharon. Stay cool.

        Delete
    9. Happy Friday Anni and with this heat everyone needs a break.

      OH MY GOSH Mr. Rod would be very very impressed with your sketch.
      Mom can't draw a straight line with a ruler.
      MOL
      Madi

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, it would be nice to have the temps during the day drop down to the 70s and rain.

        Delete
    10. Me, too!
      The shelf has a German look to it, like a cuckoo clock...I'd love a neighbor like that.
      I said I didn't recognize the song but I do recognize the singer: Tonight's The Night...lovely voice.
      We have been lazy all week but its so hot, I think that is alright...I've read and crocheted and embroidered and watched Frost on Netflix via my laptop......I've had this stomach bug, woke me at 4am this morning but I'm hoping it will be gone tomorrow.
      Blessings, have a great weekend.
      Mama Bear

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, hope you're feeling much better today.

        Delete
    11. I didn't know all that about Rod Stewart. I liked his quote though and I wouldn't mind not being liked by him either :)
      I checked the link for the crochet pattern and I like that one. I'll have to give it a try.
      I get those days of not feeling like doing much of anything. I've been having a lot of days lately where I don't feel like even looking at my computer

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I thought I'd like to try that crochet pattern too someday.

        Delete
    12. Hey, Condi would be a great choice! You know, have your lax week and enjoy it. The blogging world will still be here when the book is finished :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...yep, it gives us time to accomplish a lot more than just sitting on our butts staring at an electronic device all day.

        Delete
    13. So you are hot? ME TOO! And we stayed in the 4th and painted a room - so not much excitement here either! lol. And I did not know Rod had thyroid cancer - I knew he was raspy. Interesting. sandie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, I'm hot....but not like it sounds. Too old on that hand. LOL

        Delete
    14. Well, I do share your love of reading, and sketching (though I'm not so talented), and birds are pretty interesting, too.

      Rod Stewart's singing, not so much, though I think he's pretty witty. We have been excessively lazy in the oppressive heat, as well. We're thankful that our electricity and AC are operative.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...ya, I think it has a lot to do with the heat and humidity here too.

        Delete
    15. Replies
      1. ....um, guess what? Me too.

        Delete
    16. I really like your book graphic but promise not to steal it. You sure are into that book!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, that pretty well depicts me when I read too. LOL

        Delete
    17. Great sketch! I have loved Rod Stewart's voice for a long,long time. I love that shelf, it has a very appropriate look for GWTW figurines!

      I'm not going to steal your book graphic, but I think I'm going to steal your idea and post my current book!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like to write my critiques of books I've finished on my blog. I haven't chosen a new book to read yet....so the one on the sidebar is a few days old. LOL

        Delete

    .