“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Fantasy and Legendary




Outdoors, I have a small menagerie of fairy statuary. Small in size and small in number. I think 6 or 7. They're hidden amongst the roses, hibiscus and plumbago bush just under the computer room window. I like fairies and the fantasy connected to them. It seems that, as far as I can find, the origin of the folklore tales hail from Ireland. And to some, they are considered Pagan in rituals and belief. Whatever they are, and wherever they 'came from'...I still like 'em. And I, personally, think they're cute, whimsical, and perhaps a shade ornery. But, who's counting. When I spied these in the garden shop the other day, I couldn't resist. There were three different sweeties; I picked up two. Took 'em home and set them outdoors. Two days later, I tested 'em. You see, I'm not going to keep them outdoors...they were, for me personally, purchased for indoor decor, even tho they are called 'garden stakes' and supposedly 'weather proof'. They're costly, and I don't want them faded or ruined in any way. But, after outdoors soakin' up the sunshine ---there was a method to my madness. You see, they're not only beautifully handcrafted, they're also SOLAR ---and--- fiber optic!!! See what I mean? Check 'em out:





Since they're so pretty and colorful, I went back and bought the third version. The third one is dressed in purple. But I haven't had time to get it outdoors to soak up the solar power ---no sun the last couple days. She remains in her box out of harm's way for now. By the way, I'll be adding the third to the other two in due time...I have them in a huge basket with trailing wisteria...using them for a night-light. The optics will continue to work through the night from 8 to 10 hours before a recharge is needed. And the color array is just pretty darned cool, too...red, green, pink, orange, blue, purple and yellow. And not a 'disturbing' motion nor overly-bright...it's pleasant and peaceful movements. I slept like a log. LOL




CONNECTING TO:



- - -



Tina, at Tina's Picstory has a challenge for this week´s topic. It is *black & white* ---

According to Wikipedia [one of my favorite sites for researching] the origin of mermaids are as follows: "The first known mermaid stories appeared in Assyria, ca. 1000 BC. The goddess Atargatis, mother of Assyrian queen Semiramis, loved a mortal shepherd and unintentionally killed him. Ashamed, she jumped into a lake to take the form of a fish, but the waters would not conceal her divine beauty. Thereafter, she took the form of a mermaid-human above the waist, fish below—though the earliest representations of Atargatis showed her as a fish with a human head and arm." And according to legends and sightings of such a creature was first reported and established in the 17th century. But, what BLOGGLES my mind is as early as this year [link], there was a registered report!!! Could it be that mermaids do exist?!!! "In February 2012, work on two reservoirs near the towns of Gokwe and Mutare in Zimbabwe stopped when workers refused to work there, claiming that mermaids had hounded them away from the sites. The claim was reported by Samuel Sipepa Nkomo, Water Resources Minister".



There are several gift shops and souvenir tourist traps stores on the islands. But, one in particular is such a wonderful fabulous place to find the unusual and very unique items for sale. I love to go there once in a while to check out the 'seaworthy' trinkets such as wind chimes, glass dolphins, etc. Bud likes to go searching for a new mermaid. Being the Navy guy that he is, and the legends of Navy/sailors seeing and becoming part of the folklore of mermaids, he has a small collection. Well, we haven't stopped at this store for over a year's time, and last we were on the island, after combing the beaches without much luck, we stopped there before crossing the causeway to the mainland. There, he found a treasure [pictured above made into 'black and white' from a color photo *inset* --she's pewter and heavy for her size - perched on a glass globe]. By the way, the store is called Sea Treasures, I believe. If you ever get to my neck of the woods, and get a chance go to the several islands that make up the sand barrier...I'd recommend this gift shop. It's not difficult to find either...there is a colossal mermaid fountain that covers the entire store front. You can't miss it.


By the way, the very store mentioned above also had a small container filled with blown glass hearts ---you know me and everything 'heart shaped'....well, the little sign above the bin had posted "Mermaid Kisses". Keeping us both happy. I had to get one. They're very tiny as you can see...fitting between my finger and thumb! Oh, and they came in every color imaginable! Put THAT in your pocket...a kiss from YOUR mermaid!





CONNECTING TO:

36 comments :

  1. What a great story! I love mermaids! And, I am a total sucker for anything solar powered...I have butterflies, globes, hummingbirds...now I have to find fairies! Our sister city of Norfolk ,VA uses mermaid statues all around town...I am actually in the process of photographing all of them for a blog one day. So, I am quite familiar with mermaids...so far, none of them have bothered me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see all your mermaids photos. That will be a special treat.

      Delete
  2. I love your solar fairies. They are so pretty and I bet the flickering colors are better yet in person. Mermaids are fun too and that mermaid kiss was perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I like the 'kiss' too. They were all so pretty. Hard to choose just one.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...your fairies need to meet my gnomes. Happy RT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...I did meet your gnomes! And how fun are they? Good thing I wasn't with you....I'd be broke.

      Delete
  4. Your fairies look like they might be good conversationalists--if I were small enough to get down at their level!

    Mask of Red and Yellow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMT----LOVED your kitty-like mask!! That was a fun post.

      Delete
  5. Those pretty sparking fairies and then mermaid stories! Love them both, Anni. You had fun writing this one, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a fun post to do. Glad you enjoyed your visit this morning.

      Delete
  6. LOVE the garden fairies and what a great idea putting them in the house...so pretty!!! I did make a boo boo on my post ~ it was sunset not sunrise...thanks for finding that!!! Hope your day is fabulous...
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure....most sunsets are this red. But, I've seen a few that are sunrises when it's very hot and humid. Right?

      Delete
  7. Btw, no color change shows that those last words in my comment, are a click-able link. But it is....

    Above, click on;

    Quite different, or so they say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Auntie"...Ya, I realized it was a link...my html link code makes links BOLD text.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful angels.

    Ruby Pen, come and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John...they're fairies tho! And your Red fuzzy "LOVE" pen is cute.

      Delete
  9. I love the fairies....one of the professors I worked with was on the cutting edge of fiber optics...
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuff is fascinating!!!

      Delete
  10. I like the solar lighted wings, the ladies of the garden so elegant and welcoming, especially in the dark night...the mermaid sits tall and elegant too, although slightly out of place being on dry land. Perfect in B&W!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing your beautiful fairy tales with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina. And thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  12. Oooooooh your faerie solar lights are soooo gorgeous! You're lucky I don't live nearby or they'd disappear from your yard! hehe I just love the way their wings are fiber optic as well. I'll have to check if there is anything similar in our stores:-)

    Loved hearing the story of the mermaids and yes, it certainly does make you think when to this day, there are still reported sightings of them!! The one Bud bought is beautiful and look at that, you even got a mermaid kiss:-) You always get the neatest things!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw them, Pea, I thought of you right away.

      Delete
  13. I LOVE your solar fairies, have never heard of them before! Did you know about the legend of the Selkie? Please watch the movie "The Secret Of Roan Inish", you will love it! A Selkie is a Irish, or Icelandic mermaid, and can shed her skin once to be with humans for a very short time. The movie is about one, and what happens when she comes up on land, it is beautiful and heart rending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've not heard of this...will check it out online and see if I can find it.

      Delete
  14. My dil is also a collector of faeries decor. They are so cute.
    It was such an interesting story you put here about them and the mermaid.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your daughter in law would love these.

      Delete
  15. I love your fairies especially with the fiber optic lights in them, very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiber optics are so fascinating.

      Delete
  16. beautiful fairies :-) what a collection you have :-) Visiting from Ruby Tuesdays 2, hope that you can return your red visit too.

    http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/what-does-say-in-your-fortune-cookie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hope to see you return sometime soon.

      Delete
  17. Oh honey your fairies are beautiful. I can not blame you fro going back and buying the third one. lol
    Love the mermaid story. Being raised on the coast I have always had a fascination about mermaids.
    Your new pic of you is beautiful.
    Hope your having a great week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie!!! Hope your day is better today than yesterday

      Delete
  18. Wow, I love mermaids, and fairies.

    ReplyDelete

.