“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






The "F" words...

Fragmented - Frustrating - Finished - Fiction - & - Felons...


  • Have you ever read a book, with interest, and then you come to the last page...read it, and then just feel like throwing it through a window!?!!! I just did. And how I wanted to take the book, and break a window or two tossing it hard and heavy through the glass panes. It was a long, thick book...all of 972 pages [large paper back edtion], it took me nearly 2 months to read the entire work. I might add heavy to hold while I was reading it in bed some nights. LOL Anyway, here is a short blurb from the book's foreword page:
      "Published in 1944 it created a sensation...the novel sold 100,000 copies in its first week...considered bawdy and immoral, the book was banned in Boston...too impure for the movies in its present state..."
    Of course in history, the English courts themselves were quite 'bawdy' and immoral if you ask me. So...why was this highly researched work of fiction so sinful? That remains a question in my opinion. Heck, if you ask me, it's no worse than what history tells us. And then, while reading the book, I kept thinking that this is just no different than what goes on ...but that is today, and entertainment is much more loose with actions, words, thoughts. It BLOGGLES my mind that it was banned in the first place. Oh well....needless to say, the story did keep me turning the pages; characters like Amber and her tainted life, Lord Carlton, her lover and father of her children, King Charles II and his court, more men in Amber's life that I could list here...it was like Guiding Light, or As the World Turns, or well...you get the idea; a soap opera. But what made me want to throw the book through a window was the ending. The last chapter. Let me put it this way...a dirty, dirty way to treat Amber [even tho she was quite evil and sinister]...but still!!!! I would recommend this book if you like romance and a little of historical intrigue. Just be forewarned. The ending!!! Ohhhhhhhhh.

    FOREVER AMBER
    by
    Kathleen Winsor




  • The beaches near us are now OURS again. No more revelers 'til next year at this time. Yay. I really had withdrawal symptoms from no beach combing. LOL Nearly first light on Monday morning we drove over to the islands. Went to Newport beach access road on Mustang Island and lo and behold we were nearly the only ones there...civilian traffic that is. Well, let me put it this way, there were others...a city worker with his heavy caterpillar grater grating the refuse and doing some cleaning...while the others cleaning the beaches ----ummmm, they were inmates. Not chain gain [or we probably would have left, lol] but a few wagon loads of young guys in their striped jailhouse garb!!! Cleaning and walking along, picking up the garbage and crap the Spring Break revelers left behind. Oh there was one other besides Bud and me walking the shores...but he paid no mind to anyone - he was wearing his ear piece/headphone and walking along with his metal detector.

  • Thursday afternoon I began guttin' out Spring Cleaning the last room in our house....the dreaded kitchen!!! But...with that done, the house is ready for anything. In fact, when the kitchen is done, I'll have to go back and dust all the rooms again. LOLOLOL















  • CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea

    42 comments :

    1. Hi Honey
      I am not sure I should read this book. I am always having to replace windows around here as it is without throwing a book through one. lol
      Sorry you were disappointed in the ending. Nothing worse than a bad ending. Especially one that was almost a 1000 pages.
      You have me curious so I may have to read it.
      Oh I just now saw the Blogazine thing on your side bar. How super cool is that. No wonder I have been getting so many hits on your post. hahah I love this and the story you did.
      Any time you want to be a guest just hop on over.
      I need to show everyone this it is too cool. How did you think of it. Funny I can't stop looking at it. How creative you are my friend.
      Love your bunnies on the side bars too.
      Yep those are jail birds cleaning up the beaches. We need to use more crews like that to beautify our roads too. It's better for them too instead of lying around in their cells.
      Have a wonderful weekend
      Love ya
      Maggie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Maggie, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do the guest blog. That was therapeutic for me in so many ways. And I must say, I just paid you a visit, and am astounded by your candid post. Loved reading it.

        Delete
    2. Thanks for the review.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...you're welcome sweet friend.

        Delete
    3. I knew about this book, but never got around to reading it...lately, it takes me SO long to get through a book because there are so many other things I want to do, like my watercolors, photography, blogging...you get the picture. I used to be a voracious reader...maybe I "read myself out"? I know well the feeling of wanting to throw a book through the window! There have been a few, although I can't remember their titles now...old age creeping up! Glad you have your beaches back!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The book I'm reading now is one that'll be finished in no time. I like to read, but it seems these days there isn't enough time to just sit and do nothing but...there is more to life that sitting on the butt, turning pages. Right?

        Delete
    4. I hate when books end in a crazy way!
      I'm so impressed you have all that cleaning done. I've barely begun. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm glad it's done....the house always looks good for a week or two. LOL

        Delete
    5. I'm so glad that you have your beach back. It won't be long now before I'll be feeling the sand between my toes! I can't wait!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. How long do you get to stay there with the sand and the surf?

        Delete
    6. I would let the dust lie - it's a protective covering for the furniture :-) that's what I tell myself anyway.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I do like this philosophy of yours! And, I'm gonna remember that to be sure.

        Delete
    7. Is Spring Break already over? Well, that's good for you. I haven't read that book and now I guess I won't read it at all. I remember when it came out...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. "already over"?!!! Oh lordy, for me that week in March is always a month long. At least it seems like it.

        Delete
    8. The clean up looks like it was a doozey...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was rather comical actually, they didn't pick up very much. Just out walking and gettin' some sunshine.

        Delete
    9. They did make a movie of the book and it was a big deal for being so risque in it's time. I think Tyrone Power was in it....

      Not Tyrone Power, I looked it up, Linda Darnell ad Cornel Wilde. I saw the movie many years ago on AMC. Never read the book, though.

      I have my kitchen finished as of yesterday with the exception of a few things I need my tall husband to do. I haven't decided if I'm going to go back to work on the storage room that will be my office today or if I want to take a day off.

      Would you believe the first thin I thought when I saw the photos was "What a classic convict look with the stripes." Fashion is so important when you're on cleaning duty from the pen! Glad the cleaning crew wasn't the scary type that scared you off from the beach!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We both should be proud as peacocks then....two really clean kitchens!!!

        Delete
    10. I've never been much of a romance novel fan but I do like a good book. These days I read them all on my kindle though. It wouldn't hold up too well if I were to throw it....lol
      We have those inmate clean up crews around here. You can always tell by their orange suits and the big DOC printed on their backs

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. By the way...happy birthday.

        Delete
    11. Yeah, morality plays. Those were the days! Thanks for the heads up on the book, though.

      Your spring break trial sounds like the way we used to dread Tip-Up Town week in Houghton Lake, Michigan. Snowmobiles, trash, noise, tourists, noise, trash. The economic boost was great for the merchants, but a pain for the residents.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yes....that is what our newspaper filled the columns up with during Spring Break...how much revenue the city brought in...thing is, think of all the money going OUT to repair the damages. tsk tsk.

        Delete
    12. I did my semi-annual deep cleaning about 2 months ago, because our seasons are so different than yours. It feels good when the cupboards are clean, the cabinets are dusted, and the curtains are washed and re-hung. Maybe you can find a helper? It's always easier that way.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, I don't need a helper, I just take my own sweet time getting things done. Besides, no one helping me would do it the way I want it done. LOL

        Delete
    13. I hate reading a book and feeling like screaming at the end. I've read several of those and felt so ripped off by the time I was done!

      I cleaned yesterday because someone was coming by to see about renting this house after we move out. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take nearly as long as I thought. What do you know? I actually DO clean every now and then!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Andrea...I'm a bit confused on your blog...the last one was March 6th, and I remember reading that post. Am I not going to the correct blog?

        Yep...exactly, I felt 'ripped off' on this book too.

        Delete
    14. Hahaha, having our 'town back to ourselves' is probably what DC will feel like after the Cherry Blossom thing next week. How funny :-)

      I have heard of that book, actually. Cavalier King Charles didn't get his nickname for nothing. You may not know about the 'revival' of our country during the 40's and 50's. Such a book would have been heralded in the roaring 20's as great literature, she just wrote it in the wrong decade. Another thing I have found just mind boggling in history is the nobles sharing mistresses. I would think that would have been dueling material!!! King Edward IV took a mistress from a noble because he was king. How crazy!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yes....I remember making a special trip to D C in the Spring just for that purpose, to see the cherry blossoms.

        Delete
    15. I've never heard of that book but I have been disappointed in endings more times than I can count.

      Oh, how I would love to live near the sea...I don't think I'd even mind the felons as long as they left me alone!

      And Spring Cleaning? I guess it's probably time to get started on that, huh? Ugh.

      Happy Friday! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sure they were harmless...like maybe a DUI or petty theft like shoplifting a grape or two....but they didn't scare me. LOL

        Delete
    16. Oh darlin', that sounds like it would blow my happily ever after clean out the window and beyond!!!

      Yep, it's hard to find a good decent movie, book, TV program these day without all the immorality flowin' strong. Booger

      Your beach pics are amazin'....

      You have yourself an awesomely blessed weekend sweet friend!!! :o)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I still can't get over laughing at your 'passing deviled eggs in a phone booth'.

        Delete
    17. Amber alert - thanks
      I thought everyone went to orange jumpsuits for prison attire. I like the bold stripes. It's good to see them doing something useful. They might even enjoy it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. "Amber Alert"....I like that. Wish I'da thought of that, it would have made a great blog post title.

        Delete
    18. Yes I have read a book (thankfully not as long as Amber)that I wanted to burn because of the ending. It was by Jodi Picoult (spelling). I vowed never to read another one by her.

      Oh I sent you some pics of our red bud blooming and with itty bitty heart leaves popping up via email. I think I remembered that you asked me to do that. Have a great weekend.
      Hugs C

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, yes.....I saw your images in the mail....super beautiful.

        Delete
    19. I didn't know any jails still put their birds in that style of striped suit! The ones I've most recently seen were bright orange.

      I HATE bad endings - - - HATE them. So, I'll skip the book.

      I watched a movie once with Jodi Foster and Richard Gere (I believe) which I LOVED until the ending and then I nearly PUKED it was sooooo bad. It was Sommerset or some such type name.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. the only time they wear the stripes is when they're out doing road work...in orange, they use this color jumpsuit in courtrooms.

        Delete
    20. I'm not going to read that book, so go ahead and tell me what happens! LOL I have to dust around here all the time! It's never ending!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL...your sense of humor is always so fun. And it shows in comments AND your blog.

        Delete
    21. Not fair you just reminded me I should get back to my cleaning projects...”Darn Weather here”

      ReplyDelete

    .