my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


"...follow me to a safe harbor"



Click either button to Join









THE
LYDIA
ANN










Port Aransas, Texas

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, while out and about along the Texas Coast, we stopped along the Port of Aransas because I had read that you can get a good view of the lighthouse from the ships' channel. The lighthouse is no longer used for navigational purposes, and it's now privately owned. The only way of seeing it would be from the banks of the channel in one certain spot, or charter a tour boat that will take you along the shores of a smaller water passage way to the property. We purposely made a special stop here for the second time in two weeks because the first time I did not have the more powerful lensed camera where I could zoom in on it better. From where you stand on the banks...it's a long distance away....you need a powerful zoom lens to get a good photo. If you take the charter boat, you can only photograph it from the tour boat as it is not open to the public...the land or the lighthouse. The majority of Texas’ 400-mile-long coastline is protected by a necklace of barrier islands and peninsulas, broken only by a few openings or passes, which provide access to protected bays and harbors. Aransas Pass is one such gap, located between Saint Joseph Island to the north and Mustang Island to the south. The pass leads to the port of Corpus Christi, located twenty miles or so to the west.

FOR a lengthy HISTORY OF THE LIGHTHOUSE, read more here

- - -


While there....a beautiful scene took place...a ship emerged out of the watery mists; slowly making its way through the channel to Corpus Christi Bay many hours yet to go [they have to move very slowly through the channels]....while a couple of beach combers stopped to watch along the bank, I stood by and felt like yelling out "Mark Twain" as I helped guide the ship through. LOL....




- - -

Tuesday morning, I woke up with a sore, scratchy throat and as the day progressed, it turned for the worse....now there is a nasty, dry hacking cough to go with the discomfort in the throat, so I'm gonna post this early as I may not feel like being online in the 'morrow!! October 27th, would he still be with us, my father would be celebrating his 98th birthday. Also, it's NAVY DAY!!!

23 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hau`oli La Hanau to your Dad tomorrow :) I hope you are going to be feeling better real soon. Especially before Halloween. Do whatever it takes HA to get better :) That light house it just perfect. I love it and what gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing and for the info. Get better soon :) I took your DARE by the way LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a nasty cold last week and am still coughing. Hope you stay healthy!
    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely collection of shots. must have been a lovely day out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture with the lighthouse in the background!!!
    Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was definitely worth going back for another shot at the lighthouse - except for the dry, scratchy, throat. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great captures, Annie. And the explanation lends a lot to the photo.

    The history of lighthouses always fascinate me.

    Gina

    http://thepaganeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/ruby-tuesday-and-window-views.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picture and the day looked clear and bright.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you feel better, Anni. I had that a couple weeks ago. Yuk!

    Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing and visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great and interesting post today! Is Mustang Island named for the wild horse?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the progression of the big boat.

    Surreal.

    My WW:
    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/10/wordless-wednesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Anni I'm so sorry your are feeling poorly...there is a lot of creeping crud going around here too. Main thing I'm hearing from folks with little kids is a nasty tummy thing!!! Thinking of you on what would have been your Dad's 98th b-day

    Take care and feel better soon,
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that last shot of the two bare-backed guys and the big ship. That ship has some fancy gear on it.

    I see your Rangers badge on your sidebar! Many Rangers fans are in San Francisco right now, enjoying all the sights and eating the wonderful food, helping our ailing economy. Thank you for sending them! May the best team win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, and I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always loved lighthouses and no matter where I travel, if I know there's a lighthouse around, I have to go take pictures of it:-) Such a fascination history behind the Lydia Ann...it sure went through a lot, between damage from the Civil War and hurricanes!! One can just imagine how perfect it must have been to hear the bagpipes while the flag was being lowered every evening.

    Don't you just love watching these huge ships passing by? That first picture of the ship coming out of the watery mist is awesome!!

    Happy Birthday to your dad on what would have been his 98th birthday:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely pictures hope you are feeling better ~ Happy Outdoor Wednesday
    hugs from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice lighthouse!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/10/wordless_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always you take the most beautiful photos.
    I would love to see one of them ships come in.
    I sure hope that you are feeling better. My hubby has been down 2 days now with that.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Hope your throat feels better soon. :( no fun that.
    Happy Outdoor Wednesday-

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous images...looks like such a lovely place to be. Happy birthday to your dad...that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those were beautiful photos. My hubby who is a retired US Coast Guard Chief wishes you all Happy Navy Day and I do too. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

.