my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...button, button, who's got the button?


CLICK EITHER BUTTON to join


Did you ever play that game when you were a kid? "Button Button, who's got the button"? LOL, I just thought of that game the other day when I was preparing to replace buttons on my Hawai'ian blouse I have had for years. So many buttons are missing, and I wanted to begin wearing it again, so I cut off the remaining TWO buttons and went searching for a matching set from my button collection. I needed six. Actually, now that I mention this, I have two from the times we went to Hawai'i. The flowered one I just fixed with the buttons, which I purchased in the market in Honolulu near Waikiki, and the other one is a T-shirt that I purchased !YEARS! ago on our first trip there. The T shirt was found in a little curio shop on a road [heck if I can remember exactly WHERE, 'cause our son was the tour guide on that trip!]. Anyway, the T-shirt is special to me 'cause I actually WALKED...no, I climbed into the extinct volcano... with much labor....since I was NOT acclimated to the heavy humidity back then being from the thin air of Colorado. Well, anyway, we climbed to the very top of Diamond Head. Was it worth it? Most certainly. And, I'd do it again. So, we get down and get back in the rental car and Erik says, now...drive here turn there and stop here. We drove, we turned and we stopped. Found the T-shirt "I climbed Diamond Head" on the front. Trust me, if you've never been there...or if you HAVE and climbed Diamond Head, and you're body is accustomed to high mountain air instead of the humid tropical...you're/you know you were up for a challenge!! Warning, take with you lots of water and TOWELS to wipe off the water leaking out of your pores!!!

I digress. This post is about BUTTONS!! Okay, so I found six that'll work. But while I'm in my button collection, searching, I thought this would be an opportunity to show you some antique/and mid 1950s buttons of my mother's. I have a few. Shown below...


- - -

SHOW N TELL







Then, I found these that I've had for years and years...the most 'unusual' buttons in my collection...

PIG buttons!




GLOBE BUTTONS
[back in the late 1950s outer/winter coats were adorned with lots of brass]





- - -


Oh, and in case you wanted to see the infamous [18 year old] T shirt. I'll play model and show you...And if you read on the back of the shirt...there is mention of the 99 steps---this is where Erik trained for the Honolulu Marathon each year he lived there; running up and down the steps 25 times; daily. Some people just like to torture themselves!!!







- - -<><><>- - -

FLASH [non] FICTION 55

"I SURVIVED THE HIKE"
I traveled over uneven rocks
and dirt surfaces which
led me through a dark tunnel
and up a steep 99 step stairwell.
Then there was this
narrow spiral staircase inside
of a bunker! My reward for
climbing Diamond Head was a
panoramic view of South Oahu
from Koko Head to Barbers Point...
and this T Shirt....

[the above is exactly 55 words!!!! Word counting Tool online. So, I'm cheating...maybe just this one time!]










POSTED: [a day early] for Friday, May 21st, 2010
12:30 A.M.



20 comments :

  1. I enjoyed reading your post...I just love the pig buttons - you should find something to put them on to. Knit a cardie especially for them - they are so special and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love love love this post :) WOOT!! I don't even have one of those T-Shirts :) Of course I'm to much of a tight wad to buy one LOL. It's a spectacular view from up there and these pictures are proof positive. I love your 55. You are up with that sorta early. Of course it is non-fiction so we might get the fiction one on Friday. Who knows. Well done my friend. Oh and your buttons are cute :) Have a great day..Oh damn I forgot, I ordered Alice In Wonderland for my apple TV. I remembered how much you talked about it and when I saw the pre order I decided what the hell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a little girl, my favorite dress, said on it, button button, whose got the button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those little pig buttons. My mother used to have a button tin for times when she required new buttons on something. It used to be a great source of amusement to my brother, sister and I.

    I climbed Diamond Head about three years ago. It was very hot and crowded but the view at the top was well worth it. The shaved ice we purchased at the bottom tasted delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read anything yet..I have to do my 55 before I do..LOL

    I shall be back...

    I need your help to finish a story here
    YOU ROCK!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hike sounds pretty rough, even if you are used to the air!
    I like the buttons. I have a button jar, but none so fun as the pigs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting buttons. They really have some cute ones out there now. The ones for decorating needlework are neat. But so expensive. Yours are probably worth a lot of money.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you for wanting to keep that shirt. The button collection was neat. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! I remember seeing him on that show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think the view is worth it. great shots and a nice 55...

    mine is up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. railways that take you to the top of mountains - good. Walking up mountains - the jury is out! My Friday 55

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a GREAT hike ~ glad you got the T-Shirt!!


    I'm up:
    The Girl in the Mirror

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a good view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting post, Anni!

    Wow- and those views!!!

    I also enjoyed your button collection!

    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  15. It may not be fiction, but it's still a good story. Congrats on surviving the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing beats a T-Shirt for priceless memories!
    Excellent 55 Anni.
    Beautiful pics also!
    Thanks for playing, thanks for visiting, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a view. Worth the 99 steps. Thanks for sharing this and your button story. My mom left me an old sewing kit full of buttons. It is a treasure. My 55 is HERE .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning views, great 55, and an interesting collection of buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like quite an adventure. And you got more than the view and T-shirt. You got those great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pictures and I love the t-shirt AND the buttons are terrific.

    ReplyDelete

.