my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Since my high school years, and, back then, my found fascination in English Literature, today is the Ides of March. And a symbolic term that I will never forget the rest of my days. Our teacher, Mrs. Sanderson, was such a wonderful woman to give us all interest in the subject. And she was especially fond of teaching us the works of William Shakespeare. And I have thanked her from that day on. I was lucky enough to be in the honors English Lit class. We had so much fun, learning!! I remember she took us all to a theatrical play in the city. A private showing of Julius Caesar ON the 15th of March one Spring day. What a thrill that was. I still get a feeling of excitement thinking about the memory of that field trip. From that point on I read more and more Shakespeare!! In Shakespeare's play, Act I Scene II, a soothsayer warns Caesar ... "Beware of the Ides of March". Ides being from the Latin meaning the middle. In this particular month, March, it is always the 15th. The Ides of March was a festive day dedicated to the god Mars. Also, it was time for a military parade. In modern times, the term is now best known as the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44 BC, the story of which was famously dramatized in one of my favorite reads--William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar.


"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come".
    Julius Caesar ACT II Scene II


My love for Shakespeare and his works and his life extended way beyond those days in Mrs. Sanderson's class. I've learned a great deal since then, but the Ides of March will always take me back to Colorado and my high school class room. To this day I can see her face as she headed our class with her exuberance and love for the art of teaching and captivating her kids so intensely. Of all the teachers I've had through my schooling, Mrs. Sanderson I remember most! She was the most influential teacher I had and explains my love for literature. This photo of her, I scanned from my high school year book circa 1966-67


<><><>



Granny on the Web tagged me. On Friday the 13th no less! So, okay...I list seven odd things about me. First off, I'm thinking why just seven? I AM QUIRKY. That's the whole being. Just face it, I don't need to list seven...just the photo of me is sufficient. You can certainly find them, right? No? Okay. Here goes. I've done this tag [only it was six back then] before, so I thought instead I'd list seven of my favorite QUIRKY SAYINGS that I've been known to blabber out---
    1] "She's/He's the sludge at the bottom of the gene pool."
    2] "This is about as useless as tits on a boar hog."
    3] "He's about as bright as a blackout!"
    4] "Congress couldn't organize an orgy in a brothel."
    5] "Hey? Remember, Rome wasn't burnt in a day!"
    6] "You're about as handy with that as an ashtray on a motorcycle."
    7] "The wheel in your brain is still turning, but the hamster is dead!"

14 comments :

  1. Such memories your post brings back. We had to memorize the "Cowards die many deaths. . ." passage in literature class. I believe it was 10th grade.

    Happy Ides of March & St. Patrick's Day! Well, just Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Mornin' Anni,
    I amd glsd yall finally got some much needed rain your way. I'm with you on the cold tmps tho. Seems like I can't take the cold like I used to either. I've been that way since I came home from the hospital. I never really was interested in Literature and hated to read MacBeth and a few other of the stories we had to read. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I was more into the Business classes where I had typing, shorthand, Accounting, and things like tht. Now the IDES OF MARCH DO SOUND INTERSTINT NOW. I may have to read it sometime. i enjoyed the 7 weired things about you. I don't condider you weired one bit. YOU ARE JUT PLAIN Anni if you ask me. it is so nice to have a teacher that left a great influence on you or you hadwonderful memories of her. I had a couple of tachers like that myself. Tqke care my friend and have agreat Sunday. May GOD Blesss you and yours.
    lOVE,
    kAREN h.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my memories from high school english is reading Great Expectations. And I had a wonderful english teacher too my sr year. In fact she is so loved, we stay in touch thru facebook.Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a lover of Shakespeare as well. But it wasn't until my later years that I truly appreciated him. By the way, I love your quirkiness! Your quotes are so funny!
    Thanks for the smiles!
    Have a Great Day!
    PS. We needed this rain as well. I'm in Louisiana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni, I found the talking eggs at Target. Im not sure where else you might find them. I would think that Toys R Us might have them, but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootin' Anni3/15/2009

    Patti Thanks!!! I'll go see if I can find some today maybe. They're a hoot.

    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    I was not a great fan of Shakespeare, but found your post interesting. I'm glad you enjoy his writings. I only took one of his plays in high school and that was more than enough for me.

    Loved your list of seven sayings. I also use number two. It was something I learned growing up and I absolutely love number three.

    Take care and enjoy your day. It's sunny here and about 38 degrees here. It got up to 48 yesterday, but was so much better than in the minus. Not sure if I will get out today or not. Think I might have overdone it yesterday.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'morning Dear Anni,

    How fun to learn you, too, were a fan of English Lit. (Tho' my own teacher could hardly be described as exuberant.)

    I'm, of course, Curious ...
    Is your Mrs. Sanderson still living, and do you keep in touch? How cool t'wood it be for her to read your words!

    Sunday hugs!

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, a very interesting post this morning! I'm just wondering if you share a quirk of mine. I love to read Shakespeare but I don't like to see it performed. I find the speaking of old English distracting but I'm very comfortable with the written words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i simply love your writing today. i too have a passion for english (especially since it was my second language) and also ended up in an advanced class where shakespeare was the order of the day. that quote is something to live by for sure. thanks for reminding me of it. i had forgotten about it i must admit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni
    Don't mind you changing the tag at all, I didn't realise you had already been tagged for this... maybe by the blogger who tagged me.
    I am glad to hear you like Shakespeare, me too. I once played Bottom in Midsummer Night's Dream and for some reason I made such a good job of it I brought the house down.. ( in case you don't know this idiom, not really that I brought house down but the applause did!)

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is the first year I've forgotten about the idea of March hmmm. maybe it has to do with the 2 ft tall ball of goo in the crib next door. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good teacher, one who knows how to touch the hearts and minds of her pupils to bring out the best in them...what a blessing. I was blessed with such teachers. Thank you for reminding me how thankful I am for them.

    ReplyDelete

.