“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Afghans Galore

Friday, March 20th, 2009
5:05 A.M.

Join Here


Today, I wanted to share some of my afghan projects from the past. All done in crochet, with worsted weight, 4 ply yarns. Some, I've posted about, others are new to my blog after I was busy with the scanner and photo albums this past weekend. Crocheting is a pastime I've enjoyed since my mother taught me the chain stitch back in the 1950's. After I got the hang of the needle and having the thread [I learned with cotton thread] strung through my fingers just right to keep the tension correct, and understanding the chain stitch, I went and got patterns and crocheted ever since.


This pattern is called "Victorian Splendor". It's done with forest green, ecru, plum and black. Seven rows of pineapple stitches. The fan stitch is used for the bordering. Each scalloped end is tasseled. It's now part of our master bedroom decor, matching the colors used on the walls, curtains and bedspread.



This afghan was done with the pattern "Scraps of Colors Bouquet". It's all either double crochet stitches or single crochet according to the pattern. Each blossom is one piece then connected with crochet. Done in a multitude of color combinations. It was a gift sent overseas to a special friend of mine.


This is for Halloween of course. I just started crocheting this and went along with no pattern. Just used imagination and then pieced it together. The stitch is double crochet filet. It's done in a bright orange, white, black - and the colors in the witch are black, green, purple for the hair. The stockings are purple and black striped. Her eyes are stitched on, but the 'wiggly' craft eyes that move as the afghan moves.

"Wedding Roses" is this pattern used. It's all done in white. The rose petals are 3-D. The stitches used were double and single crochets. All done in squares then stitched with slip stitching around. The fringe was just something I added as a special step with 1st a 'trellis' look then the 6" fringe. It was, naturally, a wedding gift for my nephew and bride.

The pattern here is quite old. I found it years ago in a vintage pattern book and had it printed for me. My mother's favorite Spring flower was the pansy. So, the "Pansies on Parade" I used to make her a special birthday gift. Stitched with black, hot pink, purple and yellow, turquoise - all her favorite colors. Each blossom is a separate work, then stitched together.

This pattern here, "Old Glory" is one I made for a friend that lived in Yuma. She was hospitalized with cervical cancer...during the stay, she celebrated a birthday and when I went to visit with her, I brought along this to keep her comforted. After she passed away, her husband returned it to me saying that she'd want me to think of her. Of which I do many times. The stitching is all double crochet with red white and blue of course...the stars were a challenge, finally mastering it around the 5th one made, or so. The gold fringe I added. It wasn't part of the pattern.


Another I posted before is an original pattern I made from taking a photo off the internet and pixelizing the photo to get to the 'square' colors needed and then crocheted it from the pixel image....MY SANTA.


~End Show n Tell
COMMENT HERE if you'd like to skip the Flash 55 Fiction Meme below







<><><>


Join Here


Dew clings to the green blades of grass.
Small indentations ahead.
I follow tracks that lead to nowhere,
and yet I spy something pastel pink at my feet...
hidden under the wings of hibiscus!
Afar, there's bright purple.
Over there, turquoise.
The horizon glows golden,
as I search for more treasures
from the Easter Bunny.

60 comments :

  1. The afghans are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I have the egg please? It's huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaah, yes, the return of the ever elusive easter bunny, yipheeeeeee

    and how i love your 'victorian splendour' .

    have a good weekend anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaah, yes, the return of the ever elusive easter bunny, yipheeeeeee

    and how i love your 'victorian splendour' .

    have a good weekend anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a crochet out after reading about plarn (plastic yarn made out of plastic bags, a recycling idea), I had forgotten how much fun it is. Your works are beautiful!!

    Love the huge red egg :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful your work is! I am impressed. Thank you for sharing and ... what's that I saw? Easter Bunny? Can't be - YEHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I am especially impressed with the Santa. I must try that technique with the paint program.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first afghan is particularly stunning - all are impressive!

    The award is perfect for you.

    Have a wonderful week-end - your yard is looking glorious. I think I'd love spring in south Texas, but then I'd have to head back up here for the dry summer with cool nights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    Wow! Your yard is alive with color. What beauties! You certainly have a green thumb.

    The afghans are awesome. Your talents are never-ending. I haven't crocheted in quite some time. You're a very busy lady.

    Congratulations on the delightful award from Mike. You are very deserving.

    The flash fiction is well written and the imaging is excellent. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Have a great day. If I were you, I'd be spending lots of time in my yard with those beautiful blooms.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazingly talented. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and now there's more. your garden will be showcase by summer if spring's anything to go by. enjoy all the new growth! and congratulations on a wonderful award!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You worked really hard in the past! I like very much the white roses, really a good job. Thanks for sharing those with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you can really make some lovely afgans. I love the flag especially. Thanks for your sweet comment. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I especially like the afghan with the wedding rose pattern. Very pretty. I also favor the flag one too.
    The graphic's on your blog changed since I last visited. The bunny is adorable and I like the coo-coo clock!
    Change is good!
    Have a good weekend, and enjoy the first official day of Spring
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you still have the pattern to the scraps of color afghan/bedspread? I love to crochet flowers, although I am attempting an invasion into the realm of knitting. So far, progress has been slow, but I hope to conquer the scarf monster soon and head over to sockland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your afghans are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Anni! These are wonderful!! I love crocheted anything, especially afgans! (love the color explosion too:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your afghans are so beautiful. I have done a lot of crocheting too and I know the work involved. My mom taught me also. Thank you for shafing your lovely handiwork. Have a wonderful weekend! Elena

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in spring mood and appreciate each flower ! It was so nice this week but still cold only in the 50F but wonderful sunshine. I never knitted and hated crochet, it's all too slow for me, lol. You have done beautiful things !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed seeing your afghans. I have made a lot of afghans in the past too. Some crocheted -some knitted. I'll have to feature some of mine in a future S & T. Thanks for the inspiration.
    As usual, your new spring template is so neat (or I should say cool).
    Charlotte
    Oh yes, the Kinkade Bible has pictures of his paintings scattered all through it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni, congratulations on your awards. Your garden and your afgans are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anni, love your flowers! So so pretty! I love the color in your afgan! I love the wedding roses too, I bet it would take a while to crochet it! Congrats on your awards! You deserve them.
    PS You have not missed my Birthday! I am having a Tea Party and asking all who want to join me on April 5, for a Birthday Tea Party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely! My favorite one is the wedding roses one, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like wedding roses the best! Here's my post for today:

    http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-and-tell-friday-chocolate-bunny.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are gorgeous! I also like to crochet, but haven't in a few year. I have made the flag afghan, but haven't added the stars yet. So nice for your friend's husband to return it to you.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you do beautiful work. Taking a crocheting class is on my list of things to do. I have so many things to do... I hope I can eventually fit it in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful afgans, a few years ago a cousin refreshed my memory of how to crochet, she recently passed away a& everytime I look at my traditinal granny square afgan I recall all the fun times we had making it, thnaks for stopping by today
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very pretty! My favorites are the "Scraps of Colors Bouquet" and the "Flag" one! You're very creative. I have made a few baby blankets b4, but nothing like yours! Thanks for shairng. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. awww that is a sweet 55. weren't those times in our youth just wonderful? i remember one year, i got a bad rash looking around for those treasures...i'm allergic to grass lol

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are just beautiful!
    ~Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are so talented. You did a great job on all of them I love the patriotic one.
    Love you bunny on the header. I painted one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What amazing, beautiful afghans. Thank you so much for sharing them. Blessings, Jax in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on your awards, such beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! You have lovely flowers! We're still hanging out with some primroses here in the NW. Not too much else going on yet. Yours are wonderful. I can't wait!

    What an afghan collection you have. I can't imagine how many hours you have invested in them. Terrific!

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  36. Super collection of afgans. Love the multicolored one. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  37. Goodness what a lot of work you have put into those afghans. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your blooms are virtually exploding, for sure. That fushia is one of my favorite all-time colors.

    Hope you are well.

    You probably don't remember me from a couple years ago but once upon a time I had a lame blog with no comments but now I have comments on my new blog. Yay!!!

    Whee-hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my "birthday girls":)

    You have a great afgan collection! Beautiful work. I don't do needle work so I admire those who do!:)

    Linda C

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anni....Theres nothing wrong with this one at all.
    This is the first day of Spring!
    Excellent 55..
    Thanks for always contibuting a fine piece of writing...
    Have a Great Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anni!!!
    How wonderful your garden is just now
    with the flowers just exploding as you say
    I still think the bourginvilla is so so beautiful
    and your roses seems to have 'the time of their life'
    Was it my garden, I would for sure stay out there all the time.
    The Afghan collection is just amzing.How I wish I had just half your skills
    Especially the one you call Scraps of colors bouquet.!!!
    and it is framed so stunning beautifully.
    It must have taken you "forever" to make all these Afghans?
    Congrats with your awards, they are deserved for sure.
    Thank you for sharing all that, for your always interesting blogging
    I like the clock very very much, too.
    Mutti

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are very talented. I've made many afghans but nothing as beautiful as yours.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful afghans! My favorite is the "Scraps of Colors Bouquet". I love all the different colors. Thanks for stopping by Marigold Manor and commenting on my miniature stove;-)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Blessings,

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  44. You do have your finger in lots of pies! Beautiful yard -- wonderful afghans. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, so much to look at and comment on. I love the afgans. The flag is wonderfully simple.

    Your flowers are gorgeous. We don't get real Springy blooms until May.

    Wonderful vintage Easter pic.

    ReplyDelete
  46. my mom crochets afghans also. i love the Old Glory one - it's really beautiful! and i love all the flowers blooming in your yard! it's really finally spring, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, you are truly an artist! I love them all and I'll bet everyone else does too!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your afghans are beautiful. It would be hard to say which one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  49. awww..that is so sweet! I love easter candy eggs!

    didn't realize it is down the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  50. All your afgans are gorgeous! I especially love the wedding afgan. Thank you for sharing them all! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Everything is so pretty you showed us today.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your afghans are lovely! I have always wished I knew how to knit or crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mercy! You had a heapin helpin' piled high today didn't ya!? Your sO BLESSED to have all that beauty bustin out all over your yard already! We are still drab drab drab... UGH! I can't WAIT for some color! Even just GREEN!

    Your afghans are so pretty! I'm working on just a mindless one right now. I don't LIKE to think when I crochet! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a wonderful talent, one I have never mastered. If you add in that I seldom sit still, not a project for me. You do lovely work, truly a gift. Thank you for sharing the pictures of the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a great collection! You do great work! I'm sure they are all a labor of love!

    Love the flag!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  56. I have such admiration for people who do such beautiful work. I just wish I could crochet. I can sew and design my own patterns but I never learned how to crochet. Thank you for sharing all your beautiful afghans.

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh it's springtime at your place, Anni. Your flowers a glorious.

    And I just adore the Pansies on Parade...love the colour. As I've said before, you are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  58. All of those are really pretty. You are very prolific with crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hello Hootin' Anni! All of the afghans are beautiful but I especially like the Bouquet one with all of its colors and the all white one. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  60. So glad you stopped by. Love this post of your afs. Thanks for following. Can't wait to read more.

    Have to check out your link to Over 50, even if I'm only 52....looks like fun

    ReplyDelete

.