Most of my posts here are about the scenery, the flowers, the day to day walking trails I take, home, holidays, etc. ...and yet, mostly day tripping. But today I want to share about one special bird. I walked a desolated area off the island highway the other day. There is an area, a 'community', that caters to an endangered bird species. The land area consists of 1000s of acres covered in brush, seagrass, etc. This time of year most of the mudflats are cordoned off [roped] for the nesting season of such bird. 
I kept this image above at 50% in pixels so the cordoned-off areas can be seen [click on image to embiggen!!]. Between the stakes and signs, there is wiring to keep people off limits!
As I walked, I saw no birds, fought the slimy mud - the calves of my legs got a real good work-out. But the quiet, stillness of the area was a relaxing time all in all. Once I reached the bay and channel waters, I saw little birdlife other than two egrets, one ibis, one tri-colored heron, and one willet. I also heard hidden calls from other willets but saw no more. The roped off areas are, as I said, for nesting of the "special" bird...the piping plover. In my over a decade of bird watching and photographing the Texas Birds, I've seen them and posted photos on my blog "I'd Rather B Birdin', here, here, here [this post shows one I found that is banded and I received a history of its lifespan up to that year], and here [another banded history nearing the Texas Hill Country]

I kept this image above at 50% in pixels so the cordoned-off areas can be seen [click on image to embiggen!!]. Between the stakes and signs, there is wiring to keep people off limits!
As I walked, I saw no birds, fought the slimy mud - the calves of my legs got a real good work-out. But the quiet, stillness of the area was a relaxing time all in all. Once I reached the bay and channel waters, I saw little birdlife other than two egrets, one ibis, one tri-colored heron, and one willet. I also heard hidden calls from other willets but saw no more. The roped off areas are, as I said, for nesting of the "special" bird...the piping plover. In my over a decade of bird watching and photographing the Texas Birds, I've seen them and posted photos on my blog "I'd Rather B Birdin', here, here, here [this post shows one I found that is banded and I received a history of its lifespan up to that year], and here [another banded history nearing the Texas Hill Country]
- The piping plover lays its eggs on open, pebbly beaches, making them vulnerable to predators and the loss of their habitat. Over the years, encroaching human development has reduced the number of nesting sites and contributed to the species' decline.
source
The "community" is really a nature preserve. The birding enthusiasts/guide maps call it Mollie Beattie Habitat Community. To locals it was previously called Packery Channel Flats. It was renamed after Mollie Beattie:
- Mollie H. Beattie was an American conservationist, and director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. In 2009, she was designated a Women's History Month Honoree by the National Women's History Project. She died in 1996 of brain cancer.
Below: One of my favorite photos of the Piping Plover that I shared a couple of years ago. When I saw it, I was wondering just what was in its thoughts!! They're so small and so subject to predators and humans destroying their habitat.
Awww, such a cute birdie backside! Anticipatory!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteFingers crossed for the future. 🤞🤞
ReplyDeleteHere too!!
DeleteI love that last picture. An adorable capture.
ReplyDeleteThey are super cute!
DeleteThe Perfect END to you post. love it. we have a preserve here that ropes off the mudflats year round, they made board walks through them to allow access to other parts.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you told me about the boards, I thought I was the only one married to a super procrastinator.
DeleteI'm sure the state of Florida has a lot of nature preserves
DeletePutting jobs off is a given!
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great habitat foe the bird. The Piping Plover is so cute. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!
😊
DeleteBravo to all who help to protect Piping Plovers.
ReplyDeleteBravo indeed.
DeleteWhat a cutie. I hope everyone respects her space and steers clear.
ReplyDeleteMe too
DeleteSo glad that cutie has a place where at least it is safe from humans. They have enough to worry about without us messing things up for them.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
DeleteAnni thank you for sharing this post about Mollie Beattie. This wall all new to me.
ReplyDeleteLove the Piping Plover's tail feathers
Mud flat photo is full of texture. I have not walked on the beach in some time but I do 100% recall what a workout it gives the calves.
I did just return from a glorious EMW (early morning walk). First day in a while no gusty wind which was good. The tons of pollen did not blow in my face.
Hugs Cecilia
Oak pollen is high here right now!
DeleteIt is so very necessary for our wildlife to be protected from us and our destructive activities. This is a wonderful thing for the plovers and they seem to be ok so far. Good post!
ReplyDeleteDestructive activities for sure!!
DeleteI'm so heartened that there is an effort to protect this species. Look at the great return our investment in the American bald eagle has paid. We could have similar success with so many other species if we made it a priority.
ReplyDeleteMy comment disappeard. I hope that these efforts to protect this bird will be successful. We humans do so much damage from our carelessness and ignorance. I'm grateful for those of us who do care and make an effort to help our wildlife.
DeleteIndeed
DeleteAnd, Inger...yes, we do a lot of damage.
DeleteThe Pondering Plover...love that final picture.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful walk...hike...you had and it is a special protected place for which I am glad.
Enjoy your day.
Sue
Thanks dear Sue!!
DeleteI hope their efforts are successful in protecting this cute bird! What a great place to walk!
ReplyDeleteSame sentiments from me!!
DeleteAwwww... I never knew birdie butts could be so stinkin' cute! ~Robin~
ReplyDelete"stinking"?? lol
DeletePiping Plovers are an attraction here in Chicagoland. There is a couple, named Monty and Rose, who always return to Montrose (hence their names) Beach in Chicago. They even have a website for them. They do nest further north, but I have never caught a shot of them. Your close-up shot is impeccable!
ReplyDeleteI see there is a book & DVD of them also!!!
DeleteI've come upon a Kildeer nesting right on a gravel/sand area and almost didn't see it so well was it camouflaged. The piping plover being smaller would be even more vulnerable. Good thing it's being given protection.
ReplyDeleteYa, me too. Those eggs of the killdeer are so camouflaged
DeleteAnni, that photo of the mudflats almost looks like a beach at low tide.
ReplyDeleteFABULOUS capture of the Piping Plover!
Hope you had a spectacular Sunday, my friend!
Thanks Ron!!
DeleteI just love that photo of the bird. Thinking of who knows what? :-)
ReplyDeleteExactly.
DeleteI like photo of last one post.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
😊
DeleteI know of one beach in Manitoba that has had Piping Plovers nest there. I have not been privileged to see one of these birds yet.
ReplyDeleteHope you get a chance to see them.
DeleteWandering a mud flat is truly a special experience. If you have the place to yourself, it is really special. If you happen to spot a few birds, well, that's a memory.
ReplyDeleteLove the composition of the plover. I can come up with several thoughts he/she may be having, since, as Gini often points out, I am a birdbrain.
Happy to be here. Heading over to your other blogging habitat to explore further.
I'm so happy you came to visit!!
DeleteThey are such cute birds...and look just soooo pleasant. Amazing that the banded ones came from North Dakota.
ReplyDeleteRe the skunk's coloration...I think it is just a pigment mutation. Hubby's cousin has since bought property and built not too far from where we saw the one in my post, and he sees others that are partially blonde.
That is amazing that it was obviously inherited.
DeleteLike others have also commented, I also like your last photograph :)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the week ahead.
All the best Jan
😊
Deletelinda la ultima fotografÃa. Aunque tambien me gusto la primera. Te mando un beso. Enamorada de las letras
ReplyDeleteThank you, it's one of my favorites too.
ReplyDelete