Brownies!!


Well, I finally did it! For weeks, maybe months, I've been in search of Carob Powder in natural and organic stores here in town. The stores carry the Carob chips, but not the baking powder! So, after this long time, I broke down and got on Amazon and ordered a 12 oz [expensive compared to cocoa powder] bag of it to make myself brownies...which I've been craving. Knowing that eating anything with caffeine will find me in the ER again with heart racing at 250+ beats a minute. I'm 99% sure that chocolate and all the caffeine I once consumed was the trigger to my SVT episodes and eventually my heart attack. The old saying rides well here in Hootin's abode..."where there is a will, there is a way". Carob is caffeine free. And tastes like chocolate!! Sunday afternoon, bored, I got to the kitchen and started preparing for a pan full of walnut brownies! Now, I must admit, we both really like them [Bud can do without caffeine too] except for one thing. At least for me...the recipe I used was easy enough, very little work involved...but they were too dry [cakey] for my taste and a bit over the top with sugar. I will tweak the recipe a bit next time -less sugar and add oil & milk! The cook's article found on the blog stated the best brownies ever. Good, excellent in fact, but NOT the best. lol In the meantime, my chocolate cravings have been statiated!


50 comments:

  1. They look fudgy and delicious!! Can you use the same measurements for the carob that are listed for the cocoa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue comparing carob powder & cocoa powder. Maybe Google would have the answer for you.

      Delete
  2. Yum, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but they look so yummy, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Your Carob brownies look yummy. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great day yourself, Eileen.

      Delete
  5. Now you have my mouth watering with that photo! Glad that you were able to satisfy that appetite. Thank you for this introduction to something I have never heard of before. I am surprised more stores don't carry this. Do you think it has to do with the price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. All I know is what I read...many health benefits from carob!!

      Delete
  6. I am glad that it satisfied your craving for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth the efforts involved. ❤️

      Delete
  7. The tweaking is part of the fun. Make it your own and enjoy each try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sure look good. Hum, think I may have to check into caffeine free desserts. I should avoid caffeine if possible also. I don't drink coffee but do like a small piece of chocolate after dinner. Thanks for the info on where to get Carob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chips alone ( found in the bakery aisle) are a good, healthy snack ...& Chocolatey!!

      Delete
  9. Glad to know there is a substitute for chocolate. I definitely understand those cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny! I made brownies too! Milk chocolate variety from a Betty Crocker mix. I added one teaspoon of pure mint flavor. YUM! Gave two away to each of three different helpers. The rest are for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be my next tweak...next time - mint extract & maybe find a carob frosting recipe.😊

      Delete
  11. so far I have been unalbe to give up coffee, I did give up chocolate and sugar but the coffee I feel I deserve to keep something I love. I had cut back to 2 and some days 3 cups. these look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you with your "no sugar diet". Definitely not for you!! In fact too much even for me.

      Delete
  12. We get cravings for brownies here too. And although I've been gluten-free for a year now, I do cheat on occasion. 'Most' of the time it doesn't have any effect. Sometimes I think that I'm not totally gluten intolerant... but can't overdo. Does that make sense? The same with caffeine. And I did get some carob chips. They are good - but not the same as good dark chocolate (but you know that). However, I'm glad your brownies calmed your craving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, understand. Everything in moderation - even moderation!!
      I actually think the carob is better than chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Better than good dark chocolate, reallY?? If that's true for some, then it would make it easier. I can see that.

      Delete
    3. For me I was never much on candy. Mounds was my go-to. But, I did like turtles. (Give anything baked chocolate)

      Delete
  13. Anni did you make enough to share with all of us. Now I'm craving a brownie.
    Just returned from getting my ears lowered. Are you familiar with that term for getting a hair cut. Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Heard of it. I need that procedure done too!!

      Delete
  14. Those Brownies look delicious!! I find most recipes too sweet and routinely put in less sugar. Maybe the texture suffers a bit but everything is still sweet enough for me.I'm glad you've discovered that Carob powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too don't appreciate foods that are overly sweet!

      Delete
  15. That picture makes them look absolutely perfect, not too dry at all. I'm glad I don't have to give up coffee or chocolate. Yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too dry for me. I like 'em more "fudgy".

      Delete
  16. Oh yum. Who could resist a good brownie?

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello
    glad ya found it,
    I don't like brownie, something in them gives headache,
    anyway, if ya want a moist brownie use applesauce in place of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pleased it satisfied your craving for chocolate.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy to hear that you found it, Anni! And judging from your photograph, they look AMAZINGLY delicious!

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok...I give... YUM. Then again, I love chocolate and chocolate-wannabes of all kinds. Chocolate dipped macaroons on the to-do agenda for tomorrow. 😍 ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad it worked and you got brownies! I've heard good things about carob, but never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me alegro la algarroba es muy muy y tiene muchas vitaminas y sabe muy bien yo también la consumo. Te mando un beso y cuidate mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you found this carob powder. I've never seen that before either. Anything that satisfies our cravings and doesn't go over the top is a big plus.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look yummy. Glad you found it on Amazon and that it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will work with this for more cravings! lol

      Delete

Table of Contents